IPS 4.3 - Elasticsearch

RevengeFNF

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will there be articles for those of us that have a modest size site (half million posts) and people complain about search and want to consider this?  I have no idea how to implement something like this, but search is the one complaint I occasionally get, so I'd like it if it were an option for me.

58 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Will there be articles for those of us that have a modest size site (half million posts) and people complain about search and want to consider this?  I have no idea how to implement something like this, but search is the one complaint I occasionally get, so I'd like it if it were an option for me.

Its easy to install Elasticsearch, on localhost or a dedicated vps/server for Elasticsearch.

There will be plenty tutorials here for sure.

• Management

I personally never bothered learning to install Elasticsearch and neither did our dev team. There are dozens of places out there that offer hosted Elasticsearch. I used AWS and with a few clicks had it up and running. It's 2018: installing stuff on a VPS manually is soooo 2003.

1 hour ago, Charles said:

I personally never bothered learning to install Elasticsearch and neither did our dev team. There are dozens of places out there that offer hosted Elasticsearch. I used AWS and with a few clicks had it up and running. It's 2018: installing stuff on a VPS manually is soooo 2003.

Au contraire...I installed it locally on Windows to test. :p

2018-01-04_0825

But then again, I'm very 2003.

3 hours ago, Charles said:

How about CIC clients?

4 hours ago, Charles said:

What is the price? I doubt its cheaper than buying a vps dedicated to Elasticsearch.

PS: Im also very 2003, so i like to do things manually :cry:

29 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

What is the price? I doubt its cheaper than buying a vps dedicated to Elasticsearch.

PS: Im also very 2003, so i like to do things manually :cry:

• Searchly has a free tier and then from $9/month
  • Amazon also has a free tier for 12 months and from there... it's complicated, but a quick calculation suggests their cheapest option is ~$13 per month
  • Bonsai starts at $20/month
  • ObjectRocket starts at $30/month
  • Qbox starts at $40/month
  • Elasticsearch themselves start at $45/month
  • Compose also starts at $45/month

... but yes, you can install it yourself - as far as Invision Community is concerned, you just give it the URL to the instance.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:
  • Amazon also has a free tier for 12 months and from there... it's complicated, but a quick calculation suggests their cheapest option is ~$13 per month

... but yes, you can install it yourself - as far as Invision Community is concerned, you just give it the URL to the instance.

Thanks ;)

The 13$ of the Amazon Option is just for the service. We will also need to pay for the data storage used. But it can be a good solution.

8 minutes ago, Mark said:

Nominating this for Price Shopper Comparison post of the day.  

When that blog post on this hits can you include how many indexes we can expect to have (1 suite-wide? 1 per-app?) and rough guess as to size? I'm all down with self-hosting as,well, it's not hard (even if it is so-2003...) and the cost savings (for me) are substantial as I can  just add this to the already-paid-up monster server. But if you go the paid-service route, even with that "cheap" option above, $$$ will add up fast. Just checking one site for core_search_index size I'm wondering what's going to be the comparable figure: the data size (200 Meg) or the Index size (600 Meg). 120,000 posts for anyone that cares for comparison.

asdas.thumb.PNG.13de5963826cb6d61948f1e4694c930d.PNG

5 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

When that blog post on this hits can you include how many indexes we can expect to have (1 suite-wide? 1 per-app?) and rough guess as to size? I'm all down with self-hosting as,well, it's not hard (even if it is so-2003...) and the cost savings (for me) are substantial as I can  just add this to the already-paid-up monster server. But if you go the paid-service route, even with that "cheap" option above, $$$ will add up fast. Just checking one site for core_search_index size I'm wondering what's going to be the comparable figure: the data size (200 Meg) or the Index size (600 Meg). 120,000 posts for anyone that cares for comparison.

asdas.thumb.PNG.13de5963826cb6d61948f1e4694c930d.PNG

1 index. Will be roughly the same size as your core_search_index database table currently is (a bit larger as there's some extra metadata).

Thanks. Super small forums should get by on that tiny plan, but any forum with some heft will be kicking out some $$/monthly. Looking forward to this. I've been able to navigate the non-Sphinx waters easily enough as I can/have dropped the search character limits to 1 and have the server to handle this but relieving this burden which applies to the entire database will be very, very nice.

44 minutes ago, Mark said:

1 index. Will be roughly the same size as your core_search_index database table currently is (a bit larger as there's some extra metadata).

I'm at 500mb, so decent search will cost me $19 a month.  I'll pass.  I make nothing off of this site and pay for everything out of pocket, it's a hobby.  I guess I should not have mentioned better search was in our future.  

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm at 500mb, so decent search will cost me $19 a month.  I'll pass.  I make nothing off of this site and pay for everything out of pocket, it's a hobby.  I guess I should not have mentioned better search was in our future.  

Why not install elasticsearch in localhost?

10 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We have improvements for MySQL search too. Elasticsearch has a few main benefits over MySQL - for example, it can understand language better (searching for "community" will match things which say "communities"), it's relevancy is better, and it scales better for larger communities, amongst other things - but that doesn't mean it's necessary for everyone. We'll have blog entries out with more details soon :)

Although, as @RevengeFNF points out, unless you're on shared hosting you can install Elasticsearch on your own server - it's free.

5 hours ago, maddog107_merged said:

I cant believe this day has finally come :cry:

:frantics:

1 hour ago, liquidfractal said:

Guess I'm just not cool enough to sit in Starbucks (the universal Apple congregation spot) with a MacBook.....:lol:

Or Charles's kitchen table :lol:

Archived