Points system / Having to earn points in order to post

dschreiber

Hello,

I know that there's a points system plugin for Invision Communities here, however it doesn't seem to support what we're looking for.  We're looking for a points system where community members earn points to doing helpful things (such as answering questions), and can spend points to ask questions.  I asked on the existing plug-in's support forum if their plugin has these features, and the answer was no, because their plugin "depends on rules to issue points, and the new IPS reputation system introduced in 4.2 is not hookable by rules."

But could another plug-in be built to do what we need?  If so, any suggestions on how to get this work done?  Could we outsource this type of work?  Where would we look for this type of custom development?

Cheers,
Bret

That's a promising looking plug in!  I skimmed through the features and didn't see the ability for members to "spend" points to post new topics.  Is that something that it can do? If so, would they have to use the members shop in order to buy posting credits, or would the system automatically debit their points if they post new topics?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, dschreiber said:

That's a promising looking plug in!  I skimmed through the features and didn't see the ability for members to "spend" points to post new topics.  Is that something that it can do? If so, would they have to use the members shop in order to buy posting credits, or would the system automatically debit their points if they post new topics?

Thanks!

There's no spend points to post topics but it is something I could look into adding,

The members earn points by posting topics / posts, receiving reactions, if you are the topic author and someone replies to your topic you will receive points, if you download someones file on IPDownloads then the file submitter will receive points etc etc and they are all set by categories not overall, You might has a questions forum where you can award 20 points per reply or you could have another forum where you will only award 5 points per reply, you set the points they earn in the ACP or they can buy points if you use commerce, if I was to add the points per topic it would probably just take them away once they post or give a error if they don't have points, but it's something I would need to check first

The shop is only to spend the points they earn, they can gamble for more if you allow it or use them to update their profiles and a few other things on the site etc, it is only 1.0.1 so there will be many more features coming

16 hours ago, dschreiber said:

Thanks!

I don't use the app (yet), but I'm wondering if you could "earn negative" points by posting.  For example, instead of earning +2 points by writing a post, you would simply earn -2 points.  

With that said, I think that goes against the very purpose of contributing and parricipating in the community and that you're penalizing users for asking questions.  

• 5 months later...

Archived