Downloads basket?

SJ77

I second this— I was surprised myself when I noticed (a while ago) that there did not seem to be a simple "Add to Cart" or "Add to Basket" function natively within the Commerce application. I think this should definitely be a feature incorporated into the Commerce application. Along with new appropriate settings, such as for coupon codes (that dictate whether they can be applied to individual products, a cart of multiple items, or both), and so on.

5 hours ago, superj707 said:

So this isn’t a feature then I presume. And no marketplace update to support. :-(

Sadly, this does seem to be the case. :(

That said, I must correct myself from my first post— I forgot that you mentioned the basket feature for Downloads and went on to talk about it missing from Commerce instead. As it turns out, Commerce does have shopping cart / basket support, but Downloads does not. Still a bummer nonetheless, especially if you have members that post paid files in the Downloads section since they don't have access to do the same in the Marketplace.

I think one way of doing it is for each paid file in downloads to be automatically treated as a commerce product. So, then when a user adds a download file to the cart it goes in the Commerce cart. Then check out as normal. Because as far as I know, currently, the only link Downloads has with Commerce is associated files.

• 3 years later...
24 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Oh, so a process where you select a number of files and then make one purchase for all the things in your cart. That's surprisingly not a thing?

Maybe I am missing something, as I agree it would be surprising if it wasn't a thing already. 

But within downloads, I can only find 'buy now' button, and so you have to enter your address, payment details, and checkout every single time. As opposed to a normal online shop where you'd press 'add to basket', then browse through other files and maybe add a couple of others too before checking out all in one go. 

Much more convenient for the user.

But also likely lower fees and more sales for the site owner. 

27 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Oh, so a process where you select a number of files and then make one purchase for all the things in your cart. That's surprisingly not a thing?

1 minute ago, theipsguy said:

Maybe I am missing something, as I agree it would be surprising if it wasn't a thing already.

Nope, It was never an option, although there are requests for it.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, Adriano Faria said:

Nope, It was never an option, although there are requests for it.

Thanks for clarifying. 

My initial instinct was that I must be missing something, as it's the kind of thing you'd just assume would be included - which probably suggests it would be a very useful feature. 

I imagine if this were an option at least, there's a lot of Downloads customers who would want to enable this for their sites. From a user perspective, I am far more likely to buy multiple things at once, than go through the checkout individually one at a time (especially for small cheap files).

I'd probably use this feature on the IPS marketplace too. I can already imagine adding a couple of themes & plugins to my basket as a bit of a shortlist, then ordering them (all at once) later on. 

The topic of chargebacks came up recently as well - this would help with that. It would be better for someone to buy several things in one transaction, than lots of things in separate transactions, as that significantly increases the total amount of chargeback risk & fees that could be incurred. 

Edited by theipsguy

I had a downloads cart developed for my site. One of the issues that I have ran into is something I didn't think about before hand.

If many items are in a cart and purchased at the same time, then the customer wants a refund on just 1 of the items in the cart things become tricky.

The refund feature will refund the entire purchase and not just the single item.

4 hours ago, SJ77 said:

I had a downloads cart developed for my site. One of the issues that I have ran into is something I didn't think about before hand.

If many items are in a cart and purchased at the same time, then the customer wants a refund on just 1 of the items in the cart things become tricky.

The refund feature will refund the entire purchase and not just the single item.

Is the downloads cart you had made available for download/purchase? Or is it specifically customised for your site?

I really feel it's an important feature that's sadly missing in the core software, and looks like you first requested it 4 years ago.