Dead Topic Protection

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After some more investigating, coupled with your answer, there is a conflict between your plugin and the new 'Post before registering' feature of IPS 4.4

I've been having a problem with Guests being able to post, even though Guest posting is disabled on all my forums. The 'Post before registering' field asks for a Display Name instead of an email address, like so....

(I originally filed a support ticket with Invision and provided them with this image)

post-before-registering-bug.thumb.jpg.627db78977f3660ec0c76dac2a1cdba0.jpg

SO.... I just disabled all customizations, plugins, and applications and re-enabled them one by one and found that "Dead Topic Protection" is indeed where the bug is.

• Dead Topic Protection is allowing guests to post without registering at all, bypassing the new "Post before registering" feature. (Your plugin changes "Enter an email address" into "Enter a Display Name" instead)
  • Dead Topic Protection prevents logged in members from resurrecting old topics, but guests, who shouldn't be able to post anyway, can reply to old topics that should be locked (apparently because Guest hasn't been an option since 3.2, but now with 4.4 maybe it should be).

I don't know if adding Guest as an option would be the easy solution, or if they would still see the 'Join the conversation and post now' message but see no editor, lol.

I hope this was clear enough.

Sincerely,

- Bob

Hey Adriano,

I have a small problem, might be on my end:
The tags I can use in the message are not visible. I found a toggle button in the corner and after clicking on it they showed, the toggle button itself is invisible, I'll have to investigate this (content: '\f137' in the :after class).

The tags are disabled by default, any ideas? Is this intended?
P.S. I am using the default ACP Theme

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Edited by Phil7789

I meant the code tags {days} and {topic_age}

I cleared all my browsers cache and old data, now the information is displayed correctly, but I have no clue why it was disabled in the first hand, I never selected anything.

The font awesome icon is still missing, while they work in the rest of the page (and the rest of the ACP).
I noticed a small typo, maybe this is inside your plugin. When examining the code on the front page I noticed that you disabled the unused icons for the message with content: ''. While "content" would be correct conent is written.

Cheers,
Phil

Your posts are too confusing, sorry! Hard to understand. 

Font awesome icon on ACP? No, it shows only in topic view and it uses IPS classes (ipsMessage).

16 minutes ago, Phil7789 said:

unused icons for the message

What is that? I have no idea!

Regarding typo, you can fix in your ACP -> Customization -> editing your language. That’s not enough to justify a new version.

Edited by Adriano Faria

I am sorry if I'm confusing you. I'll try again

While examining the font awesome icon (the one in front of the message you enter) on the front page you can see this:

dtp_conent.JPG.0195ce771ffab7a400ff33faa2cf9489.JPG

"conent" is not present in my theme, css or translated language. From my understanding the "unused" icons are hidden by this code. The "used" icon is the one you select in the plugin settings for the message above and below the topic (e.g. Warning in my case).

This is what is next to the message box inside the plugins settings:
dtp_no_icon.JPG.ebcd0bcc0e127fe430816b3c7c0c294b.JPG

In the corner there is a toggle button to collapse the shown part, but it is invisble.

While examining this invisible button I could see that there should be a font awesome icon:
dtp_no_icon_after.JPG.29272aa14d9230fa301dd980e3c29810.JPG

Even after changing the icon e.g. to \f001 nothing shows. This is a default IPS setting, but it works in the rest of the page / ACP is just doesn't work in the plugins settings. Might be an IPS bug, though.

I hope my questions are a bit less confusing now 🙂

Thanks,
Phil

19 minutes ago, Phil7789 said:

While examining the font awesome icon (the one in front of the message you enter) on the front page you can see this:

dtp_conent.JPG.0195ce771ffab7a400ff33faa2cf9489.JPG

"conent" is not present in my theme, css or translated language. From my understanding the "unused" icons are hidden by this code. The "used" icon is the one you select in the plugin settings for the message above and below the topic (e.g. Warning in my case).

I am referring to this.

Where the yellow warning icon is you can see that it says conent instead of content. But I think this is related to IPS

Ok. Let's try one more try.

ACP:

- I can toggle the box but the FA is missing:

This is all handled by the framework simply by adding to the field:

'tags' => array( '{days}' => \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack('dtpmessage_days'), '{topic_age}' => \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack('dtpmessage_topicage') )

So the whole editor field is:

$form->add( new \IPS\Helpers\Form\Editor( 'dtpmessage', \IPS\Settings::i()->dtpmessage, FALSE, array( 'app' => 'core', 'key' => 'Admin', 'autoSaveKey' => 'dtpmessage', 'tags' => array( '{days}' => \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack('dtpmessage_days'), '{topic_age}' => \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack('dtpmessage_topicage') ) ) ) );

Taking a look at that templates, there is no FA there. Template: core -> global -> forms -> editor:

{{if !empty( $tags )}}
	</div>
	<div class='ipsColumn_medium ipsColumn ipsAreaBackground_light ipsComposeArea_sidebar {{if !isset( \IPS\Request::i()->cookie['tagSidebar'] )}}ipsComposeArea_sidebarOpen{{else}}ipsComposeArea_sidebarClosed{{endif}}'>
		<a href='#' class="ipsJS_show" data-action='tagsToggle' data-ipsTooltip data-ipsTooltip-label="{lang="toggle_sidebar"}">{lang="toggle_sidebar"}</a>
		<h3 class='ipsAreaBackground ipsPad_half ipsType_reset' data-role='tagsHeader'>{lang="editor_tags"}</h3>
		<ul class='ipsList_reset ipsScrollbar' data-role='tagsList'>
		{{foreach $tags as $tagKey => $tagValue }}
			<li class='ipsPad_half'>
				<label class="ipsJS_show" data-tagKey="{$tagKey}">{$tagKey}</label>
				<div class='ipsJS_hide ipsType_light'><strong>{$tagKey}</strong></div>
				<div class='ipsType_light '>{$tagValue}</div>
			</li>
		{{endforeach}}
		</ul>
	</div>
</div>
{{endif}}

So you should post in the FEEDBACK forum or request via ticket to IPS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front-end:

18 minutes ago, Phil7789 said:

I am referring to this.

Where the yellow warning icon is you can see that it says conent instead of content. But I think this is related to IPS 

I don't have conent anywhere on my plugin so yes, this is something related to IPS template.

The chosen style shows up and that's what matters to me:

NeoFIWM.png

Thanks for your time Adriano and sorry if I confused you, I tried my best.

I will ask the IPS team for a solution. For the ACP: I noticed the FA icon while examining the code with Chromse developer tools, so I assumed that it should be there, but I might be wrong (again -> IPS).

3 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I don't have conent anywhere on my plugin so yes, this is something related to IPS template.

The chosen style shows up and that's what matters to me:

I totally agree with you, the chosen icon is displayed and you're right this is the only thing that matters. I just stumbled accross this "bug" and thought I could report it (and yet again: IPS).

So thanks for your time and effort 🙂
Phil

• 1 year later...

Hey, I've just updated the plugin to the latest version and see you've turned it into an app with the settings being in a separate place (as shown in the thumbnails), but the description (in the marketplace) still points to Plugins -> Dead Topic Protection -> Pencil. So it took me a while (longer than I'd like to admit 😄) to go and look at the thumbs and find it. So I guess you might want to update the description. 

*I'm posting it here and not via PM to maybe help other blind idiots like yours truly who might have trouble finding the settings after updating.

image.thumb.png.d348cff7f49bc023eea5c0e4d8b52d14.png

Edited by Pavel Chernitsky
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Adriano Faria

just converted to 4.5 and matched the marketplace App in our test environment

I noticed that matching went fine and the Icon shows that it's from the marketplace, but it is still a plugin in ACP.
Then I uninstalled the plugin and re-installed from marketplace. Now it shows correctly as Application.

What went wrong during Upgrade or Match?

I refere to this description...

Upgrade from (any) plugin version

• Just install this application and it will port the plugin settings to the new format and the old plugin will be automatically uninstalled from your community.

Thank you,
Thomas