Advice on Black|Dark Themes [copy & paste]

gabs007

This last week I have been involved in designing a new community framework. Most websites involving that "niche" use dark-white, dark-blue/white - black-orange webpages.
So I thought "ok, in Rome do like romans do". No big deal. 
It took some time but eventually I managed to design a pretty nice dark blue theme, so far so good.

Ok, now the problem. My users or potential customers are not very smart, let's say they'd be in trouble if they had to draw a circle with a glass and pencil. This has been one of the main drawbacks for me and my actual community. Not to mention that many of them feel too comfortable using competitors vbulletin and they are not geeks, nor experts, nor they care or will invest time learning the IPS way. :(  Ok, I'm not a drama queen, it's what it is.

However, when I started playing with the new dark theme I realised that copying and pasting content ( this is something most of my users do ) also copies and pastes the whole html code, including the background. >_<  So when they paste content the nice dark theme becomes a nightmare.

Example:

darktheme.thumb.jpg.791c730e0456e94200efddac33af703a.jpg

I know they can "paste as simple text" .. I know :unsure:  but as I said my users/customers are not the sharpest crayon in the box and they won't do that. They will paste the content they will get frustrated, they will complain and I will have to fix it. The problem is not fixing problems, I can do that. The problem is the poor image when they paste and doesn't work right.  It's not a very good impression of the website :cry: 

So today I was thinking,  I'm sure many of you use dark/black themes, so I wonder how you guys fix that. Do you have the same problems? Is there any way to fix this that I'm not aware of ?

Do your users complain about pasting or they have more skills ? 

I would like to release a new community with the dark theme, I think it fits better with this "niche" but if there is nothing I can do to solve this, I will have to use a white theme.
Help appreciated.

Ok, I was not aware of that option. Or I disregarded it in the past.

What I don't like about that option is that the embedded links are not saved when pasting. And like I said, my users will copy and paste and won't bother to check if the link works or it has been converted to plain text too. 

But on the other hand, this option is better than nothing. :sweat:

32 minutes ago, gabs007 said:

Ok, I was not aware of that option. Or I disregarded it in the past.

What I don't like about that option is that the embedded links are not saved when pasting. And like I said, my users will copy and paste and won't bother to check if the link works or it has been converted to plain text too. 

But on the other hand, this option is better than nothing. :sweat:

links should copy over unless the user clinks paste as text.

Archived