Jump to content

Anonymous Login Issues / Tracking


-AJ-
 Share

Recommended Posts

If anonymous login is allowed, then last_activity for each member in core_members is not properly updated.  In IP.Board 3.x last_activity was still updated and there was another db field to indicate they were anonymously logged into the site.  If you do a member search for members online in the last month and you have a user that's been logged in anonymous for 3 months your search will not be accurate.  I really think IPS should move back to keeping last_activity updated with a member's last known site access time.  It'd be better to have profiles and widgets say Private for last visited like they did in IP.Board 3.x than to have them list a false date.  It's been a mess for our moderators, produced inaccurate results when doing statistics on members, and made people ask why the site says someone visited months ago when they can obviously see they just made a post.  We've disabled it on our site because of this, but obviously people liked not appearing in the "Who's online" list and it'd be great if the functionality could be fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

How do you guys control anonymous user spam? 

Not sure what that means. Anonymous login just hides people from online lists, which some people might prefer in regards to privacy. I don’t see any connection to spam. 

Edited by opentype
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with it being 'per usergroup' is the person who chooses to go anonymous hasn't logged in yet....so how does the suite know what group they are in to allow them to log in anonymously when they login?

The user would have to remember to then go in and change to anonymous after they login. Or you could prompt them each time they login and annoy them. Either way...it's an extra step that will take longer than ticking a box at login.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

The problem with it being 'per usergroup' is the person who chooses to go anonymous hasn't logged in yet....so how does the suite know what group they are in to allow them to log in anonymously when they login?

I understand the problem, thanks, but maybe there could be an automatic "remember my visibility status" step in between login and being shown as logged in?

31 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

The user would have to remember to then go in and change to anonymous after they login. Or you could prompt them each time they login and annoy them. Either way...it's an extra step that will take longer than ticking a box at login.

Like in many portals, there could be a "ghost" symbol next to the notifications/pm symbols on top of the header, which is shining or greyed out (always greyed out for not permitted usergroups)... This is what I meant by "switch status during the session" and it would only be one click.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

Edited by Cyboman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I agree with the original request. 

Update the time for last visit (or save it in another field) and simply hide that information on the profile if the last time they visited chose to log in anonymously. Or show the last time they logged in publicly. 

The current way screws up statistics and for example bulk mail sendouts. 

Disabling anonymous logins doesn't help, as the feature of then logging in anonymously is removed... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2017 at 7:59 PM, Cyboman said:

Like in many portals, there could be a "ghost" symbol next to the notifications/pm symbols on top of the header, which is shining or greyed out (always greyed out for not permitted usergroups)... This is what I meant by "switch status during the session" and it would only be one click.

Like this?

xaRdE8m.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2017 at 2:53 PM, -AJ- said:

I'd like to add that turning off anonymous login does not fix the problem.  Any user previously logged in anonymously gets to continue using the site as an anonymous user despite the change.

This x1000000000000000

Is there a query that can be run manually to kill this? Or something site administrators can do? Turning it off just doesn't seem to work fully lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...