(NE) Content limits for editor

• Forum plugin which will allow you to impose limits on the number of words or characters which a post must contain before it can be submitted
  • Ability to set limit based on number of words or number of characters
  • Ability to set lower and/or upper limits on the number of words or characters.
  • Ability to target all or just specific forums
  • Ability to target all or just specific groups
  • Configurable information message displayed to posters, and updated as they type
Edited by Nathan Explosion
1 minute ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Nathan Explosion It would be great if it could also detect links that IPS converts to embbeded code (e.g., youtube links are converted to embbeded videos).

Already does it 'out of the box' - the plugin discards html so the count doesn't included those. Links are different as a link actually has a text element too (ie the word show on the link) hence why I needed to do this new version.

If someone who buys the plugin has any other exclusions that they would like put in, then I'll do that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My apologies ahead of time if I am asking a stupid question. I am very new to IPS!

1st Question: Does the message (lower and max limits) display only when a writer is violating its requirements?

I have installed it and was trying to test it in my test forum before going live with it in the story writing forums and nothing I did made the message display. What I wanted the plugin for might now be how it was designed though which is my bad. I was looking for a something that would alert my writers to how many words they had written so far and when they were approaching the upper limit of what we allow before asking they start a new reply or a new post entirely. We're an RPG site.

2nd Question: Will the plugin ever be upgraded so it displays a post's word count after it is saved / submitted?

Thank you so much for your time.

4 minutes ago, Stormwolfe said:

1st Question: Does the message (lower and max limits) display only when a writer is violating its requirements?

The message is displayed regardless of violation or not - if you are not seeing it, via PM send me a link to your test site along with credentials to test it out (also, send me screenshots of what you have as your settings on each tab)

5 minutes ago, Stormwolfe said:

2nd Question: Will the plugin ever be upgraded so it displays a post's word count after it is saved / submitted?

As it's intended to display in the editor, wasn't planning on doing the above. But it shouldn't be difficult to add it in anyway - I do have an upgrade of the plugin that adds a number of additional checks but as the plugin didn't prove popular I put it on hold. I'll look at resurrecting it in the next few weeks.

• 9 months later...

Quotes already are, and last time I tested for 4.3.x compatibility they still were - if the quote is a 'new' one ie:

This is me creating some information in a quote

....then that is counted because it is content. But if it's a quote of someone else ie:

21 minutes ago, Slimer said:

quotes and code must be excluded

....then that isn't counted.

Can't remember if I excluded code though.

I don't see you as a purchaser, so is this a query about functionality or is it a bug report?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Meddysong said:

How near do you think you might be to providing a Pages-ready version?

Didn't do it in the end - that comment was added in as someone who was interested in purchasing asked if it was possible so I started looking into it. That person didn't purchase in the end, so I left it to the side.

I'll look at it again at some point, but it's not going to be soon.

• 3 weeks later...