Dismissable annoucements

rgf100

Could announcements be dismissable? I like the system and it works fine, but people only need to see something once, generally. I've got a message now I'd like to leave up for a couple of weeks - but folk who log in multiple times a day are going to be sick of seeing it.

I'd also suggest 

a) Not stripping links out of the message content and
b) Allowing the title to link to something else, or nothing

I suspect very often an announcement is either a simple announcement, in which case there's no need to click anyway, or is to draw attention to a particular piece of content, in which case it'd be preferably to link only to that, rather than to the announcement 'page'. 

Or actually...

Dismissable blocks in pages might work as well. Although only for people with Pages. 

And what about recurring announcements / blocks. "It's the first of the month, remember to update your journals!" or "Friday at last! Join the weekend plans discussion..." or "This is your annual reminder to update your profile info!"

4 hours ago, rgf100 said:

Or actually...

Dismissable blocks in pages might work as well. Although only for people with Pages. 

And what about recurring announcements / blocks. "It's the first of the month, remember to update your journals!" or "Friday at last! Join the weekend plans discussion..." or "This is your annual reminder to update your profile info!"

If you need inline notifications, you can use Custom Notifications by @Fosters.  It's quite nice.  

Aside from clicking through to a bland announcements-only page, the real problem I have with the default Announcements functionality is that announcements really need to be set up to stand out on a page because, well...they're announcements!  But they don't.  And I agree - the functionality for dismissing windows is already in the core suite; I'm not a coder, but it doesn't seem like it would take too much to extend it to announcements.

@Fosters's Notices is very nice.  So is @TheJackal84's Sticky Notes, depending on the style you want.  Me, I use both. :)

Archived