Jump to content

Moved from 3.x to 4.x SLOW! HELP!


Chatgroup
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,
We've just moved from 3.x to 4.x and the site is running incredibly slowly and server side is not my strong suit.

We're getting 503 errors regularly and it's killing our (quite large 3m+ posts) forum.

If anyone can offer any help it would be HUGELY appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thought is are there any background (cleanup etc) tasks running ? This is usually indicated in the ACP 'dashboard' type page, the first page you usually see when logging in. These may temporarily slow the site down until they are complete as the 3.x to 4.x upgrade is a major point upgrade as such.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AndyF said:

First thought is are there any background (cleanup etc) tasks running ? This is usually indicated in the ACP 'dashboard' type page, the first page you usually see when logging in. These may temporarily slow the site down until they are complete as the 3.x to 4.x upgrade is a major point upgrade as such.

 

They've all run as far as I can tell, I tried to move the tasks to cron jobs but I get an error which I have raised a ticket for here.

We're a busy site but the change in performance is staggering! Granted it's a new server provider and they're likely to blame for some of this but I want to do what I can from a software perspective

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Your site is very slow because the first byte is too big - 56 seconds?!?

Check your conf_global php - You can try to change


 'sql_host' => 'localhost',

with


'sql_host' => '127.0.0.1',

You also have many image profiles for optimization, but the main reason is the first byte ...

I did this and also turned off cloudflares railgun feature and suddenly the site is flying.

Without jinxing it, we may be getting there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bfirsh said:

To everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) but especially @Adlago thank you so much for your help so far.

I made a significant change to the my.cnf file and followed the suggestions above, turned off railgun too and everything seems faster

Later I will write you more tips. Now I have no time. There is what you can do to improve

52 minutes ago, Cyboman said:

What do you mean by "first byte" and "too big"?

Only to technically understand... Thx

First byte - should always be less than 1 second. For this site is now only 550 ms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bfirsh said:

Much appreciated! :)

In your site you have too large image profiles. Here is an example

You have a member who has uploaded an image in his profile with dimensions 1463 х 1600 px and weight 469 Kb

Most often, this image is displayed on your site with 34x34 px. Resizing this image from a visitor browser  makes a delay speed loading site. And there are many members in your site with such images in profiles.

What must be done?

- in ACP - Members - Groups - Edit Group /xxxxxxx/ - Social, find 'Maximum profile photo width/height ' and set limit example 150 px

- from your directory ... /uploads/ProfilePictures/Profile/ download all profile images and resize to 150 x 150 px; after this - replace. There are many online tools that you can quickly do. This will speed up loading your site faster by almost 20 points. Also you will save weight on the loading site with 2 MB.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Troubleshooting ideas based on my limited experience running a dedicated server (not sure what you're running on, so your mileage may vary):

  • Make sure you're using a good cache method in IPS. I recommend Redis. We've had some trouble with memcache in the past, with it being the cause of a lot of 502 errors. Before taking other troubleshooting steps and doing other server maintenance, disabling cache entirely actually sped things up slightly.
  • Check the logs for the web server, PHP, PHP-FPM, etc. to see if there's any errors or warnings.
  • Make sure the database engine is optimized. I managed to get my site to run a little faster by giving the DB service a lot more RAM, although some heavy pages like the search page can still take upwards of 6 seconds purely because of the complicated SQL query that's being run.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Adlago said:

Your site is very slow because the first byte is too big - 56 seconds?!?

Check your conf_global php - You can try to change


 'sql_host' => 'localhost',

with


'sql_host' => '127.0.0.1',

You also have many image profiles for optimization, but the main reason is the first byte ...

Canging that matters?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/11/2017 at 4:24 PM, bfirsh said:

To everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) but especially @Adlago thank you so much for your help so far.

I made a significant change to the my.cnf file and followed the suggestions above, turned off railgun too and everything seems faster

May I ask what you changed in your my.cnf?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kRSB said:

May I ask what you changed in your my.cnf?

I'll dig out the file :)

Turned on SSL yesterday and things took a bit of a performance hit, waiting to see if it's just teething issues or something I need to chase.

Incidentally I've also been wondering if I have made a mistake in caching with cloudflare as well as locally (memcache at the moment with investigate redis as things start to get a bit more settled)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...