Pages SuperQuote (Support Topic)

Hi! I have been looking for something like this for a long time! Thank you for creating this!

I'm having two major issues: 

One: font changes do not work - they only change if I turn on or turn off Google Fonts

Two: Custom Blocks do not work. When I add a custom block, it does not load anything, and suddenly there are constant errors across the site. When I delete the blocks, the errors stop.

What can we do to fix these?

Thanks!

troy

56 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Can quotes be imported into the database?  I suspect there isn't anything built in to do this, but maybe directly into the table?

Yes, it is possible. I have done it before. But you really need to know what you are doing so you won’t break your site. Neither IPS nor I can support this process in any way. 

56 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Also, if there are thousands of them, it might be impractical to have a page that lists them all.  Can that page be deactivated?

Yes. I set this up with this possibility in mind. You can deactivate all page permissions and show the blocks to anyone still and there is also a setting to not show the page links from the block. 

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yes, it is possible. I have done it before. But you really need to know what you are doing so you won’t break your site. Neither IPS nor I can support this process in any way. 

Not knowing the structure, is it just one table that will be created?  If yes, then I'd insert the data into that table with a query.

Can I have multiple quotes?  Say one for famous birthday, one for inspirational quotes?

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Not knowing the structure, is it just one table that will be created?  If yes, then I'd insert the data into that table with a query.

You might want to open a different topic for that, since that’s a general question about Pages, not a SuperQuote support issue. I am happy to answer in the new topic. 

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Can I have multiple quotes?  Say one for famous birthday, one for inspirational quotes?

Yes, you can create as many blocks as you want and narrow down the quotes in one block to all the default block options of Pages feed blocks, like categories. 

On 11/16/2017 at 2:34 PM, Vegan Gaymer said:

One: font changes do not work - they only change if I turn on or turn off Google Fonts

Two: Custom Blocks do not work. When I add a custom block, it does not load anything, and suddenly there are constant errors across the site. When I delete the blocks, the errors stop.

I am having same/similar issues.  The google font is not changing (I then turned it off).  But more importantly, I cannot get the custom block for random quote to display - I get error message.

Thank you.  

Brad

On 11/16/2017 at 1:34 PM, Vegan Gaymer said:

Same issue. 

useGoogleFon.thumb.png.c454cc725507a8596e35f8bd91ce81cc.png

groucho.png.fc3875ff5ac12b936c69bc86fb033d87.png

Inspecting the page … 

googleFont2.png.b94dce747cb3fff1a1a57976551e3816.png

I'm using a custom theme but tested using default with same result.  For some reason while the template writes the correct choice the css import select does not seem to be effective.  For now I just manually inserted a link rel to the google font in my global template head.

Edited by bradl
8 hours ago, opentype said:

Anyone of you will need to give me access to your site. I do not see these problems on any of my installations, therefore I cannot identify the problem. I need access to a page where I can see the errors, narrow down the cause and check any potential fixes. 

I just sent login, thanks.  I am using Chrome.

I'm sorry I'm just returning to this thread. It's been very busy. I've updated the files. Along with the others in this thread... 

I've tested viewing through Chrome and Safari and FireFox on iOS devices and Macbook Pro Sierra OS.

Google Fonts still not working. When I choose one from the preset, nothing changes. It remains that scripty default font. When I add my own preference in the field, it looks like it pulls up the default font for the site. I only have the option to turn on or off. I really want to use a specific font, so if this gets fixed, I will be very happy!

Custom Blocks still not working. I can add a block but it just disappears.

Thanks!

Try flushing the site cache through the support section to make sure all templates are up to date. 

With the 1.0.2 release I fixed the bugs I could replicate through users giving me login credentials. At this point there is nothing else I can do. There is a limited amount of things I could inspect by looking at the site in the browser. To inspect the cause of other, currently unknown bugs I will have to investigate in the ACP of sites where the error occurs. 

4 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

It appears to display in the DB page, but nowhere else.

It’s set up this way. If there are additional fields, those are considered “detailed information” reserved for the record view page and you have the option to show the link to that detail view page. The block only shows the basic information of the quote. 

24 minutes ago, opentype said:

It’s set up this way. If there are additional fields, those are considered “detailed information” reserved for the record view page and you have the option to show the link to that detail view page. The block only shows the basic information of the quote. 

I see.  Is there any possibility that fields like this could be made visible, now or in a future release?  I'd really like to be able to include a 1-line source because my site is a learning site and designed to try and counterbalance the thousands of inaccurate quotes out there by including acurate citational sources. :)

Edited by liquidfractal

I have a question about how fields are displayed on the SuperQuotes DB page.

I've tried to provide more detailed quote information on the DB page, with additional fields containing the quote source and additional information.  After some tweaking I've (finally) gotten the records to display more or less the way I want, but there seems to be a problem with rendering raw HTML as per the screenshot below:

testquote.thumb.jpg.4922bb79befd63e4dcd9d259a740b857.jpg

Now, I've double-checked both fields and they are definitely set to accept HTML, but as you can see the HTML is not rendering.  Am I missing something?  Or is this perhaps a bug in the IPS DB code?

9 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

Or is this perhaps a bug in the IPS DB code?

No. It’s how certain Pages field types behave. Fields like text and text area aren’t directly meant to be HTML code fields. If you want their content to render as HTML, you need to pass them on as “raw” fields from the field settings to the template. That’s done like this in the field settings:

5a19d47415c99_Bildschirmfoto2017-11-25um21_34_19.png.7ed5fa3dd56de87081846a6e5e576ea3.png