Clubs Forums on Forums Index

About This File

This plugin will display Clubs Topic features (forums in Clubs) on Forums (app) index. It will display only forums that the user can see.

Setting:

• Clubs forums position
    • Above regular forums
    • Below regular forums

Note:

• Be advised that this feature, based on feedback, MAY be included in 4.3, which will be released soon, according to IPS. Make sure you want to use it now; no refund will be provided if IPS adds this to IPS 4.3.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, it would be great to see this feature to help boost promote club forum topics by showing them on home page fluid view..

At the moment clubs are in their own separate page, their activity doesn’t even appear on the Activity Feed. And the IPS block to show recently active clubs doesn’t show content..

I would definitely help commission cost of such a plugin.

• 5 months later...

What's New in Version 1.0.1:

• Added new setting to admin decide type of forums to display:
    • Only Forums from Clubs that I am member
    • Forums from Clubs that I have permission to view

Note:

What is the advantage of using this plugin instead of the default IPS feature? This plugin has 2 advantages:

• You can choose the block position
  • You can choose to list only forums from clubs the user is member. IPS lists ALL forums, even those from clubs the member isn't member

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just purchased this plugin but cannot get it to work. Using IPS 4.3.6. Do I need to enable:

image.thumb.png.92e8553b68fd53f4846bf3f9ffd07a9c.png

I tried with it enabled and the way it is now, only within clubs. Here's what I have for the plugin settings:

image.png.cb73d3c7aae5d537a905438b77e39607.png

EDIT: I ran the support tool and got them to show up without having IPS default show clubs in content area. However, logging out, it still showed those clubs as a guest. I ran the support tool again and they disappeared and would not come back when I logged back in. I tried logging in as a different user and it did not show their clubs but mine.

So in summary, I am having the same issues as @David T. Cole where the list only updates correctly after running the support tool.

Edited by AlexWebsites
3 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

I just purchased this plugin but cannot get it to work. Using IPS 4.3.6. Do I need to enable:

image.thumb.png.92e8553b68fd53f4846bf3f9ffd07a9c.png

I tried with it enabled and the way it is now, only within clubs. Here's what I have for the plugin settings:

image.png.cb73d3c7aae5d537a905438b77e39607.png

EDIT: I ran the support tool and got them to show up without having IPS default show clubs in content area. However, logging out, it still showed those clubs as a guest. I ran the support tool again and they disappeared and would not come back when I logged back in. I tried logging in as a different user and it did not show their clubs but mine.

So in summary, I am having the same issues as @David T. Cole where the list only updates correctly after running the support tool.

David’s issue is fixed in 1.0.4. What you’re reporting has nothing to do with joining/leaving a club. 

Which plugin settings are you using exactly? This one in your second image?

The first image is IPS settings for clubs which I have set to not show throughout the community. The second image is your plugin, which I have the settings as you see there to show below the forums and only Forums from Clubs I am a member of. I had uninstalled the plugin  because it was showing the clubs I am a member of to guests when logged out. Guests should not see the block at all being they are not members of any. Maybe its a cache thing? Although I did check chrome and edge. 

I just reinstalled and cannot get it to show my clubs logged in. Logged out it's showing none also now.

The last thing I just did.... ran the support tool and can't get anything to show up and when I edit the plugin settings, it now always defaults to the above forums setting. Tried saving 3 times to below forum and it goes back to above forum. Something is acting funky here.

image.thumb.png.dbda7a6e341525b4890719c7c243404f.png

Third time is a charm, I just reinstalled the plugin and now the setting below the forum is saving and working. However, back to displaying clubs when they shouldn't be. I was logged in as a user who is part of 2 clubs. Logged out and those 2 clubs show to guests. Logged in as another member that is not part of any clubs and they are showing under that member. While logged in as that member, I ran the support tool. The clubs now disappeared for that member (like it should be).

Now, log back in as the member who is part of 2 clubs, none show. Ran the support tool and now they show. 

I just can't run the support tool every time to have it accurate. Maybe it's a redis thing or sessions issue? Hope this helps you troubleshot it!

Would it be possible to just code in a feature to dis-allow guest access to showing clubs with this plugin?

I have guest access enabled on my site. I have the plugin set to show only Joined clubs. And I have a mixture of club types. And it shows all the clubs for guests that are Open and I think Public.

I don't want guests to see all the clubs' content just because the club is Open or Public. It puts a hugely insecure vibe on the entire site. 

I think hard-coding having the plugin not work with Guests as an option would be all this needs.

For example, this is also an issue with regular members being able to see Clubs they have not joined. Yes, they could go to that Club and read the topic, but not everyone is going to want to see topics from Clubs in their forums list for which they have not joined, especially when this plugin has a setting for only showing Joined Clubs, versus the other setting for showing everything they have access to.

If it's going to show everything from open/public clubs when set to only view Joined Clubs, then there is not much difference between that setting and the setting for showing everything they have access to, is there? That's very little distinction.

But I look forward to what can be done with a template. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

I can't reproduce your issue;

If I choose Only Forums from Clubs that I am member and I'm a guest, I don't see anything.

I can only imagine this something related to the datastore. I'll give some thought to change this and store club ids in a table, during the week.

Thanks, I understand it actually seems to be a bit inconsistent for me when running on a live active site. I'll see if I can narrow it down and let you know.

I have determined this is apparently an IPS cache-related issue.

After much experimenting reading the other comments above + my own inconsistent experiences with this I tried the following test:

1. Clear IPS cache.

2. Log in with an account belonging to an open or public club. It shows up fine as it should... only that club shows up in the forums list.

3. Log out of that account. As a Guest that previous club is still showing up.

4. Even trying a new private browser window, that previous club still shows up to the guest.

5. Clear IPS cache.

6. That club goes away as a Guest.

Conclusion: It seems like anyone who logs in as a member who has joined any open/public clubs, those clubs become visible to Guests until the cache is cleared.

Having continued to test this, my description of the issue is totally holding up. I should clarify though that it's not just Guests who see all clubs that anyone has checked out since the last cache refresh, but even a regular user who signs out and back in will also see any open/public clubs belongs to if that person has longed in.

I'm not sure to what extent this can be totally fixed or not... all users seeing any other open/public clubs that another use has joined who has longed in since the last cache fresh, or if something can be done to the cache settings to mitigate this behavior.

But personally I'd be perfectly fine with a hard coded kill switch the keeps guest accounts from seeing club forums through this plugin, if nothing else.