Some questions about cloning sites for upgrading test

PPlanet

Hello,

as I type this, I have requested my web host to make a copy of my site in another server to start testing a full upgrade from 3.4.5 to 4.x

Once that's done, and before I upgrade. I imagine that editing config file and images url pattern is the first thing.

However, I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do when running two almost identical 3.4 sites with two almost identical databases respectively.

What happens with things like email digests, nexus invoices, etc. Are they going to be sent from each site (therefore users will get things twice?)

I don't want to bother them, so is there any settings from my live site that I should change/remove on my test one?

What happens to any existent cron jobs? Do I need to replicate them in the new server? Do I need them at all?

Anyway, if you think of something, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Why not doing it offline with an easy XAMPP installation? ;) Doing this way you could use your normal domain name editing the local host file.

And of course you can do as many modifications and upgrades as you want and you have to modify nothing because emails won't be sent.

That's how we do it. We have an 1:1 offline version of our live site. There we can test everything we want.

Just my2cents. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is done and upgraded (all on the internet) but I'd still would like to know if there is a way to stop Commerce from sending invoices to people (without having to edit all packages one by one). If fact, if anyone knows how to stop this test site from sending any emails at all that would be great. Thanks.

6 hours ago, PPlanet said:

Okay, this is done and upgraded (all on the internet) but I'd still would like to know if there is a way to stop Commerce from sending invoices to people (without having to edit all packages one by one). If fact, if anyone knows how to stop this test site from sending any emails at all that would be great. Thanks.

You can use 'email debugging' to prevent emails being sent (they get logged on disk instead)

Archived