Choose Topic Embed Image

Just now, Adriano Faria said:

Members -> Moderators.

Thanks. Just upgraded to 4.5 so I haven't had the chance to fine tune everything yet. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. And maybe I'll look into CSS-ing up the link to make it a bit smaller or move it somewhere. Or replacing it with an image or something.

• 1 year later...

I don't think so. There should be special tag in source code for Facebook preview images like:

<meta property="og:image" content="XXX.jpg">

It would be nice to have such option in this plugin. It would be much better alternative for this one (when we can not change the image): 

• 1 month later...

This looks like a great plugin. Before I purchase I had a question.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Does this plug-in effect the embedded image when the link is posted to say... Facebook?
Currently when I link any forum thread to FB it shows up with the same generic picture each time.
My hope is this plug-in will allow me to chose the embedded image, allow me to link to FB and that embedded image show up on the FB post.

I have not seen this question asked or it addressed in the purchase notes.

3 minutes ago, MeanGene said:

Does this plug-in effect the embedded image when the link is posted to say... Facebook?
Currently when I link any forum thread to FB it shows up with the same generic picture each time.
My hope is this plug-in will allow me to chose the embedded image, allow me to link to FB and that embedded image show up on the FB post.

Hello, please refer to a couple of posts before yours. I can’t answer your question as I don’t use Facebook. It changes the embed image when you post a link in the suite. If it changes the og:image, then yes. But I would need to make some tests first. I’ll reply up to tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, MeanGene said:

26 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

If it changes the og:image, then yes. But I would need to make some tests first. I’ll reply up to tomorrow.

It doesn't do that but I'm releasing a new version to add support to og:image... should be available in a couple of days or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Thanks for the changes to the plugin. I purchased and installed the app.
As a test I chose an Embed image for the thread.
Then  copy and pasted the link into FB post.

The embed image did not follow to the FB post.

Is there an additional step?

When you refer to og:image <--- Do I need to do something with this?
Forgive my ignorance, not savvy with the lingo.

og:image is what Facebook uses to show as post image: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/webmasters/?locale=en_US

Right click in this topic page and see if it shows og:image in the source code. If it’s there, click in the path and see if the image loads properly. I also not sure if it matters but probably the image should be accessible to guests.

Read the page I linked. There are some advices there regarding the image.

On 10/29/2022 at 1:58 PM, MeanGene said:

The embed image did not follow to the FB post.

@MeanGene try to referesh cached image on facebook by using this: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

@Adriano Faria this plugin would be even better if you added one little detail there. The og:image parameter should be added to source code even if the thumbnail has not been manually swapped. In this case, either the image that was automatically selected for the thumbnail or the default image that is used for topics without any images, should be specified there as og:image.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Found an issue where using the add-on to select an attached image as the Embed Image and then later deleting the image results in the topic displaying duplicate original post and comments (OP and comments, then OP and comments again).  The breadcrumbs also indicate a problem of duplication in the pathing.

See:  

37 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Found an issue where using the add-on to select an attached image as the Embed Image and then later deleting the image results in the topic displaying duplicate original post and comments (OP and comments, then OP and comments again).  The breadcrumbs also indicate a problem of duplication in the pathing.

See:  

Oh yes, IPS added og:image to topics in 4.7.11. I'll remove it from my resource.

The EMBED (internal) part is working fine, right?

Edited by Adriano Faria