Choose Topic Embed Image

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, superj707 said:

is there a way to make it always choose most recent image in topic as embed image?

That would be a different kind of thing altogether.

My goal in having this plugin built was to give the administrator the chance to set the image. Your version would let any user change it to whatever they could embed.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

That would be a different kind of thing altogether.

My goal in having this plugin built was to give the administrator the chance to set the image. Your version would let any user change it to whatever they could embed.

not what I am asking for.

I am asking for a way to create new rules for what the system selects as the embed image. I don't want to have to manually update it each time someone posts to a topic. By default the system chooses the first image. I am asking for a way to have the system automatically choose the most recent image.

7 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

No. 

Can this be added either here or another mod? 

Im using @opentype supertopic on my home page now and it would be nice if topics image that embeds could be the most recent image in the topic as opposed to the same old stale first image in topic. This would be great for any who run an image board.  Updating every thread manually each time someone adds photos would be a lot of work

What?? I don't think I explained this well. Allow me to try again.

suppose a thread has two images...

• Image1 (embed image)
  • Image 2

By default the embed image is "Image1".

Now suppose someone adds Image3 to the thread. We now have

• Image1 (embed image)
  • Image2
  • Image3

This is how it works. Even if more images are added Image1 is always the embed image. The means the embed image never changes and gets stale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now with the above being said, HERE is my request.

suppose a thread has two images

• Image1
  • Image2 (embed image)

By default image2 would be the embed image as it's more recent.

Now suppose someone adds image3 to the thread, we now have

• Image1
  • Image2
  • Image3 (embed image)

This isn't going to cause any issue with locked threads or no new images as it's the same as the IPB default with the only difference being the SQL "order by" is changed to DESC as opposed to ASC.

Does that make sense? Can this option be added? It will keep the images FRESH in our topic lists without the need to manually update each thread!!

stale image.JPG

Edited by superj707
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Could you take a quick look at this for 4.5? I think everything still works, but it's not putting itself in the menu, and that's causing some whitespace and other issues at the top since "Embed Image" is no longer in the menu, but rather is its own thing floating around.

image.png.4bbc9d2d23690e25691b8edbbc22a518.png

(Image won't resize and stick resized…).

Edited by iacas
image size edit won't stick
1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

I don’t think I understand what you mean. 

It used to be in the Moderation Actions menu. Now it's an entirely separate item.

I still have my 4.4 installation which I can get to via /etc/hosts editing, and I just confirmed it's still in the menu there.

I know this product isn't heavily used, but we rely on it and I'm glad I had commissioned it (I think).

Yes, it was converted to app and then added a new moderator permission. Added it outside of moderation menu because the moderator should have a totally not related permission to use it was a bit weird and after 3 or 4 years IPS still didn’t change it, so I get tired of waiting: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/432266-new-moderator-permission-x-hardcoded-template/

6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Yes, it was converted to app and then added a new moderator permission. Added it outside of moderation menu because the moderator should have a totally not related permission to use it was a bit weird and after 3 or 4 years IPS still didn’t change it, so I get tired of waiting: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/432266-new-moderator-permission-x-hardcoded-template/

Okay. I remember there being a reason, I just wish maybe it was somewhere else. It's in a fairly prominent place and is something that's important when I need to use it, but I just don't need to use it very often. I liked having it tucked out of the way - available when I needed it, but not so prominent all the time.

Where do you set the permissions, so that my moderators can use it? All clicking the permissions does on the application list is say "Application Online." Is it in Groups somewhere, or on the individual Forums?

Edited by iacas