Tinyjpg - Optimize JPEG and PNG images automatically

mark007

jpegoptim - cli / server side same tool. (you can add it to crontab as 'find _forlder_and_jpg_extension_created_more_than_1h_ago_after_current_time | jpegoptim --some params)

This will automatically optimize all user uploaded images without lower of visible quality

Provides as packet in Ubuntu (just sudo apt-get install jpegoptim)

1 hour ago, Upgradeovec said:

jpegoptim - cli / server side same tool. (you can add it to crontab as 'find _forlder_and_jpg_extension_created_more_than_1h_ago_after_current_time | jpegoptim --some params)

This will automatically optimize all user uploaded images without lower of visible quality

Provides as packet in Ubuntu (just sudo apt-get install jpegoptim)

I believe jpegoptim has a fixed setting for compression, while those services use other algorithms - they check when the image quality starts to degrade above the visual threshold and then stop. One image can be barely processed, while another is reduced heavily. Don't think jpegoptim works this way. 

14 hours ago, jair101 said:

I believe jpegoptim has a fixed setting for compression, while those services use other algorithms - they check when the image quality starts to degrade above the visual threshold and then stop. One image can be barely processed, while another is reduced heavily. Don't think jpegoptim works this way. 

In my case hand bruteforce parameters was full enough for that task and worked very well.

I am sure online services can provide deeper logics. But base system is the same. Nothing can create perfect image with low size, no magic :(

Anyway, jpegoptim is little other tool instead online services. If somebody make a very optimized template it will not worked good because few people, who upload non optimized big avatars (shows on main page) - will destruct all of optimizations. So i just recommend using jpegoptim as one of image optimization solution. It will improve not only page size, it will save a lot of money if you use some third party storage systems like a amazon (and user images (avatars, uploads, imageproxy cacheand etc) auto optimization will save by several orders of magnitude more traffic/money than template optimizations. This is already awesome in that may be not best of the best optimizer, but it can use on server instead any online services.

About working params you can read man page of jpeoptim. Here for example: https://www.mankier.com/1/jpegoptim

Archived