Search feature on IPB useless ?

Geoffro73

Hi guys,

I myself as a forum owner, along with a heap of my forum members, all find the search option to be pathetic and a waste of time, as it does not work, and as long as i go back running this forum software, it never has!

Anyone got any feedback, ideas, solutions etc etc etc on this topic?? As i am getting sick of trying to explain to forum members why the "search" feature does NOT work.

Cheers,

Geoffro

• Management

We're reviewing search at the moment, so I took an interest. I looked up your account and noticed you had IPS support details stored, so I took a look at your config to ensure everything was set up properly.

I did notice that you have the search index to store only one day's worth of data, which is why search is not working for you.

59f878967992e_Search2017-10-3113-18-36.thumb.png.bb06722565aa6ef757f52bde978bd60c.png

I would suggest at least 365 days.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

We're reviewing search at the moment, so I took an interest. I looked up your account and noticed you had IPS support details stored, so I took a look at your config to ensure everything was set up properly.

I did notice that you have the search index to store only one day's worth of data, which is why search is not working for you.

59f878967992e_Search2017-10-3113-18-36.thumb.png.bb06722565aa6ef757f52bde978bd60c.png

I would suggest at least 365 days.

Ahhh ok, can you please help me with how i sort this issue out ?

• Management
1 minute ago, Geoffro73 said:

Ahhh ok, can you please help me with how i sort this issue out ?

All you have to do is change that value to something more than 1 day and then click rebuild search index on that same screen :)

It's in the AdminCP under Content Discovery -> Search.

• Management
3 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

@Charles just an FYI but after you change that amount (all, or something else) there really should be a notification that the search index needs to be rebuilt. As is, there is nothing, so it's not surprising some people have problems around this.

You don't actually HAVE to rebuild the search index when changing that amount. If you lower the value it will prune items, if you increase it then it will stop pruning. Rebuilding is a different concept.

In this case he was only ever storing one day's worth of data in the search index so I advised he rebuild to go fetch all his existing data. In other circumstances you might not want to do that as you are just changing a prune setting.

Archived