(NE) HTML5 Audio/Video Player

Hey @Nathan Explosion just bought your plugin, which is awesome. Though I did notice something strange. When embedding an MP4, it plays on Chrome on all devices. But on Safari on my iPad it does not play back. I'm assuming it's an encoding thing, so I was wondering if there was a way to force some sort of compatibility? From what I can put together the video is dependent on browser support, but it seems Chrome and Safari don't support all encoding codecs of MP4. I can share with you a login and sample via PM if you want to take a look or the file that I used. Thanks

9 hours ago, thetrials said:

Hey @Nathan Explosion just bought your plugin, which is awesome.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, thetrials said:

From what I can put together the video is dependent on browser support, but it seems Chrome and Safari don't support all encoding codecs of MP4.

Correct - it's all down to whether the browser can play the codec. If it can't, then there is nothing that my plugin can do about that - the plugin is intended to display the ability to play the audio/video items, from there it is up to the browser, and its user(s), as to whether it can play (as indicated in the plugin description, there is a link there that can help people determine if their browser can play a certain format/codec combination)

image.thumb.png.db4fb6a06b2aafc582e63f5f9d5646d3.png

Sorry, but there is nothing (to my knowledge) that I can do that will force a browser to play a video in the native HTML5 player if it can't support the codec that is used.

What I can do is try to check the codec that the video is using and then not display the player if the browser doesn't support it, with a clear indication of why the player isn't displayed to that user. I've still got a little work to do on a planned update for a previous issue, and will start looking into adding that functionality (if that is achievable then I might be able to incorporate a fallback to a player such as videojs....no promises though. Maybe even provide an option for the admin to determine whether to use the native player or to use the videojs player.....hmmmmm)

Edited by Nathan Explosion
1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Thanks!

Correct - it's all down to whether the browser can play the codec. If it can't, then there is nothing that my plugin can do about that - the plugin is intended to display the ability to play the audio/video items, from there it is up to the browser, and its user(s), as to whether it can play (as indicated in the plugin description, there is a link there that can help people determine if their browser can play a certain format/codec combination)

image.thumb.png.db4fb6a06b2aafc582e63f5f9d5646d3.png

Sorry, but there is nothing (to my knowledge) that I can do that will force a browser to play a video in the native HTML5 player if it can't support the codec that is used.

What I can do is try to check the codec that the video is using and then not display the player if the browser doesn't support it, with a clear indication of why the player isn't displayed to that user. I've still got a little work to do on a planned update for a previous issue, and will start looking into adding that functionality (if that is achievable then I might be able to incorporate a fallback to a player such as videojs....no promises though. Maybe even provide an option for the admin to determine whether to use the native player or to use the videojs player.....hmmmmm)

Thanks for the detailed response, and it confirms my understand of what is occurring. The videojs fallback I think would be a great solution. I was testing last night in my mods only area, and having to explain to each user the nuances of what is occurring. I'm definitely going to leave the plugin in-place but I don't think I'm going to market it hard because of the confusion that may happen amongst users, since many just expect things to "work". Absolutely not your fault at all, and obviously an issue on the end of the browsers/too many codecs out there. I'm more than willing to throw a beta version on my server as well once you go down that path, since this is something our users have been asking for, for a long time.

I'll be watching for the updates!

4 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

ANy ETA on 1.1, which can play videos in blogs?

*fingers crossed* a couple of weeks.

Got v1.0.7 coming in next few days to fix a couple of small issues, then going back to v1.1 to get Announcements, Calendar and Pages added in to the supported sections/applications, where I've got a little idea on how to overcome the problem you had with the beta of v1.1 which will then expand it on out to Blogs too.

15 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Got v1.0.7 coming in next few days to fix a couple of small issues, then going back to v1.1 to get Announcements, Calendar and Pages added in to the supported sections/applications, where I've got a little idea on how to overcome the problem you had with the beta of v1.1 which will then expand it on out to Blogs too.

Sounds great! :thumbsup: I especially like the idea of extending it to those apps!

On 12/28/2017 at 3:13 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

and downloads app?

43 minutes ago, superj707 said:

and downloads app?

Not mentioned, so no...and you already know the situation. Provide a response to the PM we have going and I will give you a final yes or no on whether it can be done.

And even if it is a yes - it will not be a solution your existing issue, which is caused by the transcoding used by the files. This plugin is not the magic bullet you seek for that problem.

7 hours ago, Abby Weng said:

Currently, I can't make adjust the audio scrollbar to move to different parts of the audio. Is this something you can fix in the next update? Please

It's probably not something I can fix as the player behaviour is dictated by the browser, but I'll take a look anyway - what OS and browser (version please) was that being used? (I suspect it is Chrome)

Update on v1.1: @liquidfractal is currently running a beta of this version, and has reported back good things so far. I've got a couple of items I want to tidy up with it before release, but to whet the appetite.....

What will be new in v1.1 (when it is released)...

• Plugin will now convert remote links/local attachments in the following areas:
    • Forums (including Clubs)
    • Pages (records & comments)
    • Calendar
    • Blogs
    • Announcements
    • Private messages
  • Ability to control whether to display the player to guests or not.
    • currently, it is not shown to guests at all.
On 1/6/2018 at 5:48 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

It's probably not something I can fix as the player behaviour is dictated by the browser, but I'll take a look anyway - what OS and browser (version please) was that being used? (I suspect it is Chrome)

Yes, I'm using chrome Version 63.0.3239.132

I really hope this issue could be fixed *fingers crossed* Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Can you clarify what you mean by 'see' and 'shown' please...questions (yes/no answers will suffice)

1) Do you see the video player displayed? Yes or no.

2) Do you see the audio player displayed? Yes or no.

That's all.

Yeap, I can see that both files and pc&phone. It's just not playing.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 23.17.26.png

Edited by uA_Y_C_A

Thanks - I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I have time, but it's in the realm of browser support by the looks of it. As mentioned several times - the plugin is designed to present the player to the user, and based on what you've stated then it is doing what it is designed to do. From there, you are in to the area of whether the browser supports the playback of that file type and codec.

Anyway, I'll provide a report tomorrow on my testing and findings - I do have another theory, so feel free to ping me a link to your site where you have these files uploaded (along with credentials if needed) as I'd like to see how it looks/behaves on your site & server.