Jump to content

(NE) HTML5 Audio/Video Player


Nathan Explosion

Recommended Posts

Hi,

The plugin work fine, but ... there is a strange bug :

  • when the plugin is active, in all posts of our forums, links to gallery's images are broken
  • when the plugin is desactivated, eveything is OK

This bug has been detected by IPS support team which suggest to desactivate the plugin.
If you can't reproduce this strange behavior, I can send you more details by PM

Regards
Jean-Philippe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was planning on releasing v1.1 next (which would allow the functionality of the plugin to extend to Pages/Calendar/Announcements/Blogs) but there are a number of issues that I need to overcome before I can release it (namely, not having access to the likes of Blogs & Gallery to ensure that the functionality works/doesn't impact those applications) I still plan to get that one out there, but it's going to take a little longer than originally planned. I now plan to release a new version which will expand the functionality to Pages/Calendar/Announcements, with a follow-up version expanding the functionality to Blogs.

In the meantime, I've backported other items that I planned to include in v 1.1 and am releasing v1.0.5 to get those new features out. So.......

What's new in version 1.0.5

  • added ability to control the preloading of video/audio files
  • added ability to control which forums in which the video/audio players are displayed
  • added ability to allow the video player to be resized within the browser window (up to the size of the maximum width defined in settings)
  • removed the maximum height video setting, as it is not used any more (video maintains aspect ratio on display/resize)

Important: There have been some reports recently of other apps/plugins seeing settings disappear/resetting after some time or on app/plugin updates, so please review your plugin settings after updating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I was planning on releasing v1.1 next (which would allow the functionality of the plugin to extend to Pages/Calendar/Announcements/Blogs) but there are a number of issues that I need to overcome before I can release it (namely, not having access to the likes of Blogs & Gallery to ensure that the functionality works/doesn't impact those applications) I still plan to get that one out there, but it's going to take a little longer than originally planned. I now plan to release a new version which will expand the functionality to Pages/Calendar/Announcements, with a follow-up version expanding the functionality to Blogs.

In the meantime, I've backported other items that I planned to include in v 1.1 and am releasing v1.0.5 to get those new features out. So.......

What's new in version 1.0.5

  • added ability to control the preloading of video/audio files
  • added ability to control which forums in which the video/audio players are displayed
  • added ability to allow the video player to be resized within the browser window (up to the size of the maximum width defined in settings)
  • removed the maximum height video setting, as it is not used any more (video maintains aspect ratio on display/resize)

Important: There have been some reports recently of other apps/plugins seeing settings disappear/resetting after some time or on app/plugin updates, so please review your plugin settings after updating.

Thank you @Nathan Explosion Good update, works fine for me.:thumbsup:

Let me make a request. ^_^ Is it possible put a text or link after or before the video player? It is to put a link to the F.A.Q in my case.

It could be a new feature or it's not much to ask, if you tell me how to edit the .php file to put it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

would be super cool if this worked with downloads app. Heres what I am thinking. Someone uploads a video to downloads app and user who downloads video can just watch it right on the site without having to save to their computer. would be hand especially for people with apple phones who can never see the videos

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TheSkyLounge.tv said:

@Nathan Explosion So you're telling me that I could upload my .mp4 to Dropbox...link it in our forum, and this will provide our visitor with a playable video!?

In theory, yes. But I've just tested it out and it appears that dropbox don't allow remote embedding....I'll test again later, but it looks like a 'no' right now.

Update: I've determined how a dropbox url can be modified to allow hotlinking. There's no change needed to plugin to actually support this but below is what you would need to do now to have it work.

Further update: I've just spent a couple of minutes putting in a little function to do the manipulation needed, so that will be in the next update I release (v1.0.6)

Example url provided by Dropbox when creating a share link is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aewhi52igjvxp18/video1.mp4?dl=0

  1. Remove ?dl=0 from the url
  2. Change www to dl
  3. Submit post

Without the url manipulation:

image.thumb.png.596888dfeccdc1a9f0e09547004542b5.png

With the url manipulation:

image.thumb.png.d3fb4060cfd4ea42cd1cba8b8bfeb9be.png

 

8 hours ago, superj707 said:

would be super cool if this worked with downloads app. Heres what I am thinking. Someone uploads a video to downloads app and user who downloads video can just watch it right on the site without having to save to their computer. would be hand especially for people with apple phones who can never see the videos

At some point in the future, maybe. I don't own, or plan to own, a license for Downloads so for the moment it's a 'no'

Edited by Nathan Explosion
Updated with steps to support Dropbox hosted files
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What does pre-load videos mean? I'd like to make it so that embedded videos from third-party sites show up and play, however, I don't want upload video attachments to auto-play because where there are 10 to 15 videos per page it slows the page and server down as it tries to play all of the the videos at once.

Edit: I figured it out. Once again thank you, this plugin is great! 

 

Edited by ProSkill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2017 at 7:56 PM, ProSkill said:

What does pre-load videos mean? I'd like to make it so that embedded videos from third-party sites show up and play, however, I don't want upload video attachments to auto-play because where there are 10 to 15 videos per page it slows the page and server down as it tries to play all of the the videos at once.

Edit: I figured it out. Once again thank you, this plugin is great! 

 

For others reading this: preload ≠ autoplay.

Preload functionality for the html5 video and audio tag basically tells the browser whether to automatically load the content ready for viewing/listening. There are three possible settings, and they are documented in the plugin settings.

Autoplay will automatically begin playing the content after the page loads, and I will not be adding this functionality to the plugin purely for the reason stated above by ProSkill :D

Edited by Nathan Explosion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's new in version 1.0.6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Provide a link to your post then, which makes it easier to see the 'issue'....

Reason I put 'issue' like that is simple: if the video is an attachment then there is no point showing the player. Why? Click the link to find out...Guests cannot view attachments in 4.2.x:

image.thumb.png.feddd16e2beb8e24e272aa5b209ff107.png

If it's a remote link then that is different.

Hence - provide a link to the post so I can see the 'issue'

Edited by Nathan Explosion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Hence - provide a link to the post so I can see the 'issue'

Using localhost only at the moment

 

25 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Reason I put 'issue' like that is simple: if the video is an attachment then there is no point showing the player. Why? Click the link to find out...Guests cannot view attachments in 4.2.x:

You can give guests permission to download files/attachments though which I enabled.

it just looks like this when download permission is enabled and you are logged out.

Untitled.png.134e2fb0e5d83125855d29f6fb3ce880.png

Edited by Monstris
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Monstris said:

Thanks I appreciate it. yeah so only the webm links show when you enable it in settings but the video player code is not showing. If I knew how plugins work in this script I would fix it myself but would take ages lol.

No need - once I've taken a closer look then I can fix it. Totally forgot about the 'Download attachments' permission that was available, so I'll just refine things to adhere to that instead of the simple guests check that is being done in this case. Busy all day tomorrow (normal work) so afternoon is the earliest I can take a look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2017 at 1:07 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

In theory, yes. But I've just tested it out and it appears that dropbox don't allow remote embedding....I'll test again later, but it looks like a 'no' right now.

Update: I've determined how a dropbox url can be modified to allow hotlinking. There's no change needed to plugin to actually support this but below is what you would need to do now to have it work.

Further update: I've just spent a couple of minutes putting in a little function to do the manipulation needed, so that will be in the next update I release (v1.0.6)

Example url provided by Dropbox when creating a share link is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aewhi52igjvxp18/video1.mp4?dl=0

  1. Remove ?dl=0 from the url
  2. Change www to dl
  3. Submit post

Without the url manipulation:

image.thumb.png.596888dfeccdc1a9f0e09547004542b5.png

With the url manipulation:

image.thumb.png.d3fb4060cfd4ea42cd1cba8b8bfeb9be.png

 

At some point in the future, maybe. I don't own, or plan to own, a license for Downloads so for the moment it's a 'no'

Holy moly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

No need - once I've taken a closer look then I can fix it. Totally forgot about the 'Download attachments' permission that was available, so I'll just refine things to adhere to that instead of the simple guests check that is being done in this case. Busy all day tomorrow (normal work) so afternoon is the earliest I can take a look.

OK, having taken a look I'll get an update out over the weekend to sort this element out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TheSkyLounge.tv said:

Holy moly!

:D

The most recent release of the plugin has that manipulation all built in, so users won't have to perform it each time - they just drop (excuse the pun) in the Dropbox link and the plugin will take care of it all, with a nice BIG warning about usage....basically, if in doubt then reach out for support.

image.thumb.png.2c0dcc72219ef1b8867bb16334caee7f.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...