Can I hide the "Join Club" Button?

gabs007

I would encourage you to post your use case in Feedback for IPS to consider.  They hard coded four types of clubs with predefined permissions: Public Open Closed Private.  

With that said, I'm going to ask the same thing IPS will ask: why are you using clubs to display information that users can read but not post? If you're displaying information or knowledge, then an IP.Pages database might be a better solution.  

19 hours ago, Joel R said:

I would encourage you to post your use case in Feedback for IPS to consider.  They hard coded four types of clubs with predefined permissions: Public Open Closed Private.  

With that said, I'm going to ask the same thing IPS will ask: why are you using clubs to display information that users can read but not post? If you're displaying information or knowledge, then an IP.Pages database might be a better solution.  

The hide button is just a fast solution that doesn't solve the main issue, but can help and Pages can't provide the same level of integration that clubs do so far. 
The ideal, however, would be that you could set up permissions per each tabs in the clubs. But I'm not asking that, since I know some people might freak out.

Ok., let's put things this way. Imagine we don't call them clubs ... imagine we call them  "integrated Subforums" or "integrated blogs" and I want to use them as such.
Clubs is an excellent feature if you can lease it to a company that wants to have presence in your community. It's an excellent option to monetize a website. I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees it that way. Clubs can be rented.

If you have a community about cars, you could lease clubs to brands, or car stores. If you have a community about fashion, you could lease clubs to model agencies, If you have a community about technology, you could lease clubs to stores or blog owners to host their own forums. Without a permission system, that's not possible because professionals using their own space will requiere to have a better control of the content. Customers will require to control their club but at the same time will require visibility in the community. Right now clubs is designed for hobbiest or for people that want to share content in private. 

Ok .. :)  said that, I'm aware clubs it's in its early stages, and still require a major upgrade. Categories is probably a major priority but the permission systems for clubs is something needed for professional communities. 
Some will say you have Pages or you have Blogs, but again,  the level of integration that clubs provides is much better.

That functionality you are asking for would drive me crazy as a user. I would hate it. Seeing all these posts, but not being able to take part without being asked? That sounds terrible – in general. I also don’t see how “professional use” (like car brands) would change that or how this distinction between hobby and professional has anything to do with this crossover of private vs. public content. 

I haven't tried it, but wouldn't setting the visibility to Public and the Membership to Invitation Only get you close to what you are asking? THE Club Leader may get swamped with requests to join, but the joining would not be automatic.

I am just beginning to experiment, since my entire site is focused on a Club (premium members) and we are evaluating the function to possibly support regional chapters within the larger club.

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

That functionality you are asking for would drive me crazy as a user. I would hate it. Seeing all these posts, but not being able to take part without being asked? That sounds terrible – in general. I also don’t see how “professional use” (like car brands) would change that or how this distinction between hobby and professional has anything to do with this crossover of private vs. public content. 

I use content that is visible but the user cannot post as an enticement to get the registered user to pay dues (subscription) to gain the ability to past a reply or comment. Similarly I use content visible to unregistered users to entice them to register and begin interacting. 

So, I can see what he is trying to do.

1 hour ago, gabs007 said:

The hide button is just a fast solution that doesn't solve the main issue, but can help and Pages can't provide the same level of integration that clubs do so far. 
The ideal, however, would be that you could set up permissions per each tabs in the clubs. But I'm not asking that, since I know some people might freak out.

Ok., let's put things this way. Imagine we don't call them clubs ... imagine we call them  "integrated Subforums" or "integrated blogs" and I want to use them as such.
Clubs is an excellent feature if you can lease it to a company that wants to have presence in your community. It's an excellent option to monetize a website. I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees it that way. Clubs can be rented.

If you have a community about cars, you could lease clubs to brands, or car stores. If you have a community about fashion, you could lease clubs to model agencies, If you have a community about technology, you could lease clubs to stores or blog owners to host their own forums. Without a permission system, that's not possible because professionals using their own space will requiere to have a better control of the content. Customers will require to control their club but at the same time will require visibility in the community. Right now clubs is designed for hobbiest or for people that want to share content in private. 

Ok .. :)  said that, I'm aware clubs it's in its early stages, and still require a major upgrade. Categories is probably a major priority but the permission systems for clubs is something needed for professional communities. 
Some will say you have Pages or you have Blogs, but again,  the level of integration that clubs provides is much better.

I see.  Yes, many others have requested integration with IP.Commerce for permissions. 

I would encourage you to check out Group Collaboration by @Kevin Carwile, which can offer you more advanced permissions.  As you said, clubs is a very immature implementation at this point so we will see how IPS improves it over time.  

4 hours ago, KentT said:

I use content that is visible but the user cannot post as an enticement to get the registered user to pay dues (subscription)

Sure. In that case the user can act to get the ability to post. But the description above talked about visibility and an ability to post by invite only. 

On 28/10/2017 at 2:54 PM, opentype said:

Let's call them  "Showrooms"  where you can see but can't touch.  :sweat:   unless invited
OR think of Youtube. For example, Canon and/or Nikon probably have their official youtube channels, but at the same time they send cameras to youtubers for them to review them. A youtuber can't post a video in Canon channel, but sure they can talk all the want about Canon or Nikon products in their own channel. That's what I'm talking about, kinda :sweat:

IF we think of the possibility to lease or rent the "Clubs", the permission system with flexible solutions is necessary.  But Clubs was designed as a hobby inside a Community ( hobby for me is not a negative word, think of youtubers ), where people can create and exchange their own content in public or private ( no inbetween ) I also plan to have those kind of clubs in my community, but when categories is available, so I can have official and unofficial clubs for specific content.

But as I said there is no need to rework the whole permission system, it's as simple as an option to hide the "join" button for "open clubs",  :(

On 28/10/2017 at 4:24 PM, Joel R said:

I see.  Yes, many others have requested integration with IP.Commerce for permissions. 

I would encourage you to check out Group Collaboration by @Kevin Carwile, which can offer you more advanced permissions.  As you said, clubs is a very immature implementation at this point so we will see how IPS improves it over time.  

Yes, I checked it for a long time and I was very tempted to buy it. However, this nothing personal against that application. 
This year I decided not to use 3rd party applications unless they are absolutely necessary for 2 reasons:  my users never engage them or use them,  I tried "Collections" and I have also tried "Quizzes" with poor success  and second, I try to keep things simple. The less widgets the better since it's a pain to keep them all updated. 

1 hour ago, gabs007 said:

But Clubs was designed as a hobby inside a Community …

You keep saying that, but I still don’t see any reasons for it. A club can be “Funny cat pictures” or “Nikon U.K. Official”. It’s up to you what you allow and how you set it up. You can even define per member group who can open which type of club. So you could sell the option to open clubs for $1000 if you want to only allow highly professional use for example. So I don’t see how the club setup equals “hobby use”. 

In any case—clubs are about people coming together and engaging with each other. “Social groups” (or “groups” for short) would be the generic term for what IPS called clubs. The “show rooms” you want aren’t delivered through “social groups”. It’s just not what it’s for. You could probably create your show rooms much easier with Pages. All your categories and permissions are there already. 

2 minutes ago, gabs007 said:

ok .. just one "stupid"  :sweat:  question

Where can I follow the suggestions and announcements for clubs ? 
I read something about improvements for 4.2.5  & 4.3 but I can't find them. 

Blog or Release Notes.

IPS doesn't have separate news for Clubs, it's all part of their general updates and news.  

Archived