Is it a bug ?

pavero

Hi,

In my community members are allowed to add images to their posts up to 4Mo per image, no limit on the number of images uploaded by post. Here is the set up :

param.JPG.d29dc9fdfee7dfcc5370e0ded91283e6.JPG

Unfortunatly that's not what it says on my forum. There's a notice that says "Total Maximum Size : 3,91Mb". But that's wrong since I didn't set up any total limit, only a limit per image.

taillemax.JPG.4c759347e3ddaf403c97558f099b1829.JPG

Members believe 3,91Mb is the sum of all attachements sizes per post, but it's not. I think it should say Maximum file size, like on this board actually...

Also if someone tries to upload an image that's more that 4mo there's an error message that I find is more confusing than anything (asking members to contact me just for that seems inappropriate in the situation...). I'd like the error message to say something more explicite like "Error : Your attachement's size sould be 4Mo maximum"

erreur.JPG.c8437f3b2c5d9572a420c08a540280ea.JPG

Could someone please help me to change those 2 messages on the board ? 

25 minutes ago, pavero said:

Unfortunatly I don't understand why it says "max total size" when it's "max file size" that should appear...

It’s a language string in your translation. You can just copy the string it shows, search for it in the language settings in the ACP and then change it. 

The other error looks more like a server error while processing a file that is too large to handle. It shouldn’t show that just because the file was above your limit of 4 MB.  

Hello,

5 hours ago, opentype said:

It’s a language string in your translation. You can just copy the string it shows, search for it in the language settings in the ACP and then change it. 

I thought the same and looked it up but no, the translation is correct.. 

5 hours ago, opentype said:

The other error looks more like a server error while processing a file that is too large to handle. It shouldn’t show that just because the file was above your limit of 4 MB.  

Yes, but I find the message really unclear ("There's been a problem, contact us for more info"). I'd like for the message to clearly explain the issue, that the error is due to the file's size, because it's above the limit. Do you know how I can change that please ?

3 minutes ago, pavero said:

Hello,

I thought the same and looked it up but no, the translation is correct.. 

Not sure how to respond to that. If you find the specific language phrase you don’t like on the front end, how should it be correct on the backend? It’s the same thing. 

By the way: The language string is called “form_upload_max”. 

3 minutes ago, pavero said:

Yes, but I find the message really unclear ("There's been a problem, contact us for more info"). I'd like for the message to clearly explain the issue, that the error is due to the file's size, because it's above the limit. Do you know how I can change that please ?

Pretty sure that can’t be done. Its a general error message, because that’s the only thing the IPS software knows. Your server couldn’t handle it for some reason, and the IPS software can only tell you “there was a problem”. 

Hi,

On 24/10/2017 at 8:28 PM, opentype said:

If you find the specific language phrase you don’t like on the front end, how should it be correct on the backend?

In the translation pack I can see that form_upload_max = Max file size = Taille maximale d’un fichier. And that's a good translation, but as you can see in my screenshot above what appears on my forum is "form_upload_total_max = Max total size = Taille maximale totale"

I guess I could change the phrase in the translation pack but then it wouldn't be accurate anymore. It makes much more sense for me to find the real problem and fix it. Maybe it's in the way I did my set up ?

I can't seem to obtain the same result as on this board (invisioncommunity)

IPB.thumb.JPG.02ff07ef2e19a23c4c429f147e53af01.JPG

I set my board up so people can upload images up to 4mb and that's not what the message says... Can you please explain to me how I can make that happen on my forum ?

Yes. The value of “Max file size” comes from the server’s PHP settings. “Max total size” is a group setting in the ACP. (If there is no limit, e.g. for admins, it won’t show at all.)

I just tried it again on my site. “Total” is indeed the correct phrase. It is what is allowed per post. If you allow 1000 KB,  you can upload a 300 KB and an 500 KB image for example, but you get an error when you try to upload another 300 KB image. 

So, the text output actually seems to be okay. It’ not a file size, it’s a per post size. (élément de contenu) If you server can’t handle those 4 MB uploads, you are having server problems and we can’t help with that. Larger images should be rejected right away in modern browsers. There shouldn’t even be an attempt to upload them. 

Archived