Pages: default sort order for categories

Nick Willson

Hi 

I am really loving the the Pages app and have created a great website making good use of categories, category listings and per category images.

However currently one rather sad IPS4 omission is that there is no ability to define a default sort order within the Pages app for articles listed in a category.  Currently it looks to be a hard coded default to sort by title only, whereas I need sort by views so the most popular articles feature at the top of the listing. Unfortunately the only configuration available within Pages is at the database level to sort homepage articles and even then views is not one of the options.

Interestingly in the Downloads app the default sort order of each category display can be set to Views/Most reviewed/Highest rated etc.

@anyone Can you provide a template edit or even better a plugin to add a per category default sort order to Pages?  I would be eternally indebted to you.

@Invision Could this improvement be added to the roadmap and consistency provided across the apps so a full set of consistent defaults are available?

Thanks in anticipation

Nick

11 minutes ago, Nick Willson said:

However currently one rather sad IPS4 omission is that there is no ability to define a default sort order within the Pages app for articles listed in a category.  

It’s under Options in the database settings. It has lots of options, including your own database fields—but not “by views” I’m afraid.  

59e8d392a31df_Bildschirmfoto2017-10-19um18_31_36.thumb.png.53bbb19cbb9e1e9af45adbac984345b8.png

Thank you opentype for your fast response and pointing that out. I had forgotten about that field option and indeed it is evidently why my categories are ordered by title!

Is anyone able to show me how to add "by views" to pages categories? As mentioned it is already a sort option in Downloads?

Cheers

Nick

Archived