Commerce category permissions?

LiquidFractal

Is it possible to give different permissions to product categories in Commerce?  E.g. to make category A available to everyone but category B only available to Member group X?  It doesn't seem possible from what I see in Commerce, but maybe I'm missing something.  It seems like it would be a useful function however.

15 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

Is it possible to give different permissions to product categories in Commerce?  E.g. to make category A available to everyone but category B only available to Member group X?  It doesn't seem possible from what I see in Commerce, but maybe I'm missing something.  It seems like it would be a useful function however.

no it doesn't, it is the items themselves that contain the permissions, you can set it to what groups have access to the item. the categories are really meant more for organizations, than anything else. 

10 hours ago, CodingJungle said:

no it doesn't, it is the items themselves that contain the permissions, you can set it to what groups have access to the item. the categories are really meant more for organizations, than anything else. 

Could you kindly point out where and how one does this?  I'm looking at my product's properties and nothing in the tabs seems to allow it.

I think there should be permissions for categories. Currently users are shown an empty category when they have access to none of it's products.

Edit: or at least the system should work out that this user cannot purchase anything from this category, so hide it.

17 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

I think there should be permissions for categories. Currently users are shown an empty category when they have access to none of it's products.

i'd agree the system should figure out if the category would be empty due to product restrictions, however permissions on a category would cause more headache. 

Yes please to category permissions. I have a category with about 40 items that is used seasonally that requires me to go through each and every item to deactivate; it would be deluxe to just remove permission on the category to disappear it for the dormant period. 

Archived