Page Authors - Supporttopic

Fosters

I was about to leave you a 5-star review (I'm seriously very happy with this) but I thought rather than make a suggestion in the review, I'd do so here. That way, if you adapt the product to my suggestion, I can mention that in the review too.

I love this, I really do. But I've spotted where there might be room for improvement.

Let's say I introduce a category with subcategories:

- My restricted category
- - A subcategory

If I don't fill in the names of authors who can write to the subcategory, it assumes that I want to honour the database's specific permissions. So every time I add a subcategory, I'll have to manually add the names of people who can write to its parents.

If it were possible, I think a better solution might be that we can either add authors as we currently do, or if it's left blank, the parent's permissions are honoured rather than the database's. Maybe there could even be a toggle to switch between parent or database permissions, though I think the probably scenario is that if you have a restricted parent, you probably don't want to honour the database's general permissions in its children.

I'm thinking about purchasing this, nice plugin!

I was looking for / waiting for something like this but with integration w/ commerce.

Let's say I want to charge someone to post an article in pages.  I'd create a product which would allow the user to purchase 1 or X number of articles in pages.  Once the user paid, they'd be able to create the article(s) and update those articles but wouldn't be able to add another article(s) unless they paid for a new article.  Every article they paid for they could edit and update.

I was thinking about having a promotional section which would be paid.  Adding the ability to grant permission for X number of article via commerce would be perfect.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 6:40 AM, Meddysong said:

I was about to leave you a 5-star review (I'm seriously very happy with this) but I thought rather than make a suggestion in the review, I'd do so here. That way, if you adapt the product to my suggestion, I can mention that in the review too.

I love this, I really do. But I've spotted where there might be room for improvement.

Let's say I introduce a category with subcategories:

- My restricted category
- - A subcategory

If I don't fill in the names of authors who can write to the subcategory, it assumes that I want to honour the database's specific permissions. So every time I add a subcategory, I'll have to manually add the names of people who can write to its parents.

If it were possible, I think a better solution might be that we can either add authors as we currently do, or if it's left blank, the parent's permissions are honoured rather than the database's. Maybe there could even be a toggle to switch between parent or database permissions, though I think the probably scenario is that if you have a restricted parent, you probably don't want to honour the database's general permissions in its children.

We've put this onto our roadmap for future consideration.  Thank you for the suggestion

On 10/18/2017 at 3:11 PM, Bluto said:

I'm thinking about purchasing this, nice plugin!

I was looking for / waiting for something like this but with integration w/ commerce.

Let's say I want to charge someone to post an article in pages.  I'd create a product which would allow the user to purchase 1 or X number of articles in pages.  Once the user paid, they'd be able to create the article(s) and update those articles but wouldn't be able to add another article(s) unless they paid for a new article.  Every article they paid for they could edit and update.

I was thinking about having a promotional section which would be paid.  Adding the ability to grant permission for X number of article via commerce would be perfect.

We will consider this, but this is not the intended use of the application and we believe there are better and other ways to achieve this.  We'll have to think this over some more.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Koper74 said:

no usergroup "Autogenerated Members" - neither in the database nor in the category permissions.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Once you've added the users into the author permissions field, only these members will be able to create new content in this category.
The point of this application is to have specific user sets with write permissions in specific categories without having to create a group for each scenario, ie for Journals, personal support forums, etc..

2 hours ago, Fosters said:

Once you've added the users into the author permissions field, only these members will be able to create new content in this category.

I see. So what should this screenshot in marketplace telling me? 
2019_05.07_02.thumb.png.6a3793111eac14f9bd91c0d289a809cc.png

3 minutes ago, Koper74 said:

From a view of a technical writer it`s not foolproof

It seems perfectly clear to me:

Are you tired of creating, managing, and changing multiple membergroups just so users can write a new article?  

Page Authors by @Fosters allows individual users to write new records in IP.Page Database Categories.  Users can be assigned to categories, so they Add and Edit their own articles.  This app overrides their normal group's permission, which may not have permission. 
This is great if you need Users to contribute to:

News stories
Knowledge wikis
Resource directories
Personal blogs created in IP.Pages
All without having to move or reassign users to different membergroups or mess with membergroup permissions!  Just add the user and go.  

It's not the neatest writing but I don't see what the mystery is. It's better than lots of native English speakers would write 🙂

Sorry, English isn’t my first language. Could you explain what you were expecting from this app? We’ll of course accept a refund request and get in touch with IPS to refund you , if it isn’t what you were expecting. 

I was just a little bit confused when configuring the app because I've expected out of the screenshot an "alias"-group for the manually added users.
My fault - sry for the trouble!

PS
English isn't my first language, too... 😉

• 2 months later...

Archived