Community

MarilynWallace

The greed is absolutely palpable.

To be fair, the developer 100% has the right to change prices during the conversation as long as the contract hasn't been made yet, I am not denying that. But to change it within the span of a day after hearing the Marketplace suggestion? It's pretty dang greedy!

<<PMs removed>>

Edited by Lindy

It is assumed that the price in the beginning is for an exclusive mod. If not, then it should say so on the services description, or at least tell me via PM when stating the price. It's standard business practice.

The price only increased after he realized the potential to make more money via the Marketplace. If he had told me: "It will be $450 for an exclusive mod, but $350 if you let me sell it on the Marketplace", that would have been A-OK.

It's pure greed, that's what it is.

43 minutes ago, MarilynWallace said:

As a provider of public services, he should be prepared to have conversations regarding his public services divulged. 

No, he should not prepared for that. If its a private conversation it should stay private. I reported the post and I hope this topic will be hidden. This public shaming is really a bad move. And all it does is that probably no developer seeing this will respond to your private messages again. Your “laughing” about every reply also doesn’t help. 

Edited by opentype

lol OK you do you. I didn't do anything wrong - merely exposed greed for what it is. I was polite, and didn't even try to haggle the prices because I know that developing is hard work.

If you treat others with such a poor attitude, then you'll get what's coming to you (like this!). ;)

9 minutes ago, opentype said:

No, he should not prepared for that. If its a private conversation it should stay private. I reported the post and I hope this topic will be hidden. This public shaming is really a bad move. And it all it does is that probably no developer seeing this will respond to your private messages again. Your “laughing” about every reply also doesn’t help. 

Yep, in my community he`d have been temporary banned for something like that. Private messages are precisely ... private. You can inform to admins if you receive any kind of threat, something like that... If you dont like the "pricing policy" of a developer here, that´s your problem

There was no pricing policy, he merely switched around his prices after getting greedy. That's his prerogative, as I've said. What I didn't like was his poor attitude. Like I said, if he'd come right out and said "It'll be $450 for an exclusive mod, but $350 if you let me put it on the Marketplace", that would have been 100% fine with me. Please read! ;)

A. Poor form to try to publicly shame, and bad choice of move, as B. what you call palpable greed is in actuality offering his time for peanuts, that functionality would run double that in minimum estimate, much less actual cost of the time spent doing it, any pitfalls or IPS bugs hit, or anything else that can and does happen in development of a new mod.

Edited by Marcher Technologies

Oh that's fine - but say so from the start, which is what I mean. :)

Seems like everybody getting jumpy knows that I wasn't in the wrong, and that this was rather poor business practice. Otherwise, why would there be anything to hide? ;)

8 minutes ago, MarilynWallace said:

There was no pricing policy, he merely switched around his prices after getting greedy. That's his prerogative, as I've said. What I didn't like was his poor attitude. Like I said, if he'd come right out and said "It'll be $450 for an exclusive mod, but $350 if you let me put it on the Marketplace", that would have been 100% fine with me. Please read! ;)

Whenever you order a custom job with exclusivity, the price is higher. Usually, really higher. He offered you a good price after you asked him to work exclusively for you

I would have charged you usd 600 

Like I said, whatever his price, that's fine as long as he says so from the start. It was only after he realized he could make money off of me and by selling it on the Marketplace that he decided to change the price he quoted me.

If he said $600 from the start, I would have said "Yes/No" and not wasted either of our time.

Posting the pm's like this for everyone to see was not a cool move. Those pm's were personal and should have stayed that way imho. You could have report them to the staff, but not post them here to shame someone.

That being said, I do not see anything greedy in this. It is a normal procedure that a developer will charge more if the customer wants to have all the rights to the plugin/app. If you do not agree with the quoted price, move on until you find someone else whose prices are more to your liking. 

And I agree completely with @opentype, after seeing this, a lot of developers will be reluctant to work with you. 

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about:

It's fine to charge more for an exclusive mod, but state your prices from the beginning instead of flip-flopping and changing your mind after realizing the potential to make more.

If he had said "it will be $1000 for an exclusive mod, but less if you let me sell it on the Marketplace", then that's fine. It seems like a lot of people are having issues with reading comprehension.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience with an author. Communicating expectations is extremely important from all sides. If an author intends on reserving the right to share a custom resource with other clients via the marketplace, that should be communicated. Likewise, when a custom project is created for a client, the author generally retains the copyright. 

While it's ok to share a general experience, it's not appropriate to share private messages and as such, they have been removed from your OP. If you wish to address this at a higher level without posting personal conversations and details, you are welcome to do so, but I'm afraid we're going to have to shut this particular topic down. Thank you.