Needs help with my database restoring

mulphy

Our hosting company which we use "Godaddy" has removed our forum database out of "mysql-admin" then zipped up the database and placed it on our server at the location "puplic.html" so this means our forum will not work...

Just over 12 months ago i was chatting to godaddy on the phone and it came to light we was paying too much for our server and they suggested we downgrade and they could do this for free and we would save money on this, so i don't know too much about this so i said to them yes and i'll follow there advice.

Last week godaddy removed our database for our forum as they said it was too big for the package we are using, so i asked them what are our options and it was to upgrade.

So we waited 24 hours for the upgrade and this happened but they refuse to move the database which has lots of members and has been running for 8 years.

I've chatted to them in length over this matter and they say its not down to them and i have to sort it out my self.

I'm completely lost when it comes to this and this is my last option to ask the forum if anyone can help me restore my forum database.

i've spent hours on the phone with godaddy explaining that it was ok until they moved the forum database but im not getting any where with them.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this.

Buy a Linux server.
Uploads it in your database backup.
Get an IP address on your Linux server
Open a conf_global php file from your installation forum in "Godaddy" and replace localhost

'sql_host' => 'IP address your server' 

Your forum will work with files from a host "Godaddy" and a database on your server.

I assume you have some kind of admin panel on your host like cpanel?

Download the zip file they left on public.html.
On your hosting panel create a new empty database.
Import the database found in the zip into the new empty database.
Modify conf_global.php on your IPS install so it matches the new database name, user and password.

Such a d$ck move on their side... I'd look into moving to another host.

33 minutes ago, -FP said:

I assume you have some kind of admin panel on your host like cpanel?

Download the zip file they left on public.html.
On your hosting panel create a new empty database.
Import the database found in the zip into the new empty database.
Modify conf_global.php on your IPS install so it matches the new database name, user and password.

Such a d$ck move on their side... I'd look into moving to another host.

That doesnt work... DB is 6GB and the limit is 1GB

1 hour ago, Adlago said:

Buy a Linux server.
Uploads it in your database backup.
Get an IP address on your Linux server
Open a conf_global php file from your installation forum in "Godaddy" and replace localhost

'sql_host' => 'IP address your server' 

Your forum will work with files from a host "Godaddy" and a database on your server.

Seams a high expense to run a forum... 

Well thinking about it very soon i'll be getting 75mbps from my ISP so it could be possible then to host the full forum.

9 minutes ago, -FP said:

Is there anything you can do to reduce its size? Like maybe the logs table was huge, I had that a few times... but anyway don't think you can do anything really then unless you get rid of that limit.

Shell access is the only way to do it...

I wouldn't mind we was on VPS and Godaddy reduced our package and moved it all then realised our database was over there limit, an over sight by Godaddy....

They give me 7 days to sort it out and on the 5th day i was reducing the database and all of a sudden it went off line and i logged into cpanel to find they had moved it two days before...

So i took there advise to move the forum to a business hosting package which has no DB limits and they was going to do a restore.

Then they moved everything and forgot about the restore from the old server which would have put the DB back, ok i would have lost a few days posts and topics but what the hell..

By the time they got around to doing the restore the old server had been cleared of all my files and data...

Tread carefully with Godaddy...

So is your new host properly configured and everything would work, you just need to restore the database?

It's just a couple of lines in the terminal to create a database and import a backup into it. You get into mysql from the terminal and then run something like this:

create database my_database;
my_database < backup-file.sql

Then you need to add a user and password to it so IPS can connect.

26 minutes ago, -FP said:

So is your new host properly configured and everything would work, you just need to restore the database?

It's just a couple of lines in the terminal to create a database and import a backup into it. You get into mysql from the terminal and then run something like this:

create database my_database;
my_database < backup-file.sql

Then you need to add a user and password to it so IPS can connect.

So then with the info i've provided from above.

My DB is 6GB and its placed in my "puplic.html" and them commands will create a database then know where the old one is and restore it.?

Then all i need to change is the config file...

Archived