Linkfavicon - Supporttopic

11 minutes ago, Koper74 said:

Thank you, but the whitelist is of no use to us.
Instead, we need a blacklist where we can enter intranet URLs for which favicons cannot be displayed because the IPS cannot access them from the internet. It would be even better if we could manually assign icons / PNGs or similar to the URLs entered in the blacklist that would then be displayed instead of the favicons that cannot be determined.

OK fair point.

I've used this for a while and really like it, but it seems as if with one of the recent updates (4.3.1 or 4.3.2; I am currently running 4.3.2) this has effectively broken my site.  I know it's linkfavicon because I disabled all of my customisations and enabled each one until I got to linkfavicon.

Here is my site with favicon disabled:

nolinkfavicon.thumb.jpg.79267e502e85b3e2c860f857f829d6c4.jpg

beneath this screen (out of view here) is a link with a favicon followed by some excerpts.  Now, below is a picture of the same page with linkfavicon enabled:

linkfavicon.thumb.jpg.8eec539d218a39d42ec858900dcb43d5.jpg

as you can see, the background doesn't load; the MORE from the first image is broken and on top of the news ticker; the topic cover photo doesn't load, nor do the star pips for the topic rating.  As a result of all this, it screws up any number of links so the page is obviously useless.

I hope you can fix these issues as I really enjoy using this app on my site! :smile:

Edited by liquidfractal
20 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

I've used this for a while and really like it, but it seems as if with one of the recent updates (4.3.1 or 4.3.2; I am currently running 4.3.2) this has effectively broken my site.  I know it's linkfavicon because I disabled all of my customisations and enabled each one until I got to linkfavicon.

Here is my site with favicon disabled:

nolinkfavicon.thumb.jpg.79267e502e85b3e2c860f857f829d6c4.jpg

beneath this screen (out of view here) is a link with a favicon followed by some excerpts.  Now, below is a picture of the same page with linkfavicon enabled:

linkfavicon.thumb.jpg.8eec539d218a39d42ec858900dcb43d5.jpg

as you can see, the background doesn't load; the MORE from the first image is broken and on top of the news ticker; the topic cover photo doesn't load, nor do the star pips for the topic rating.  As a result of all this, it screws up any number of links so the page is obviously useless.

I hope you can fix these issues as I really enjoy using this app on my site! :smile:

Do you see any errors in the JS console of your browser?

13 hours ago, Fosters said:

Do you see any errors in the JS console of your browser?

Ahh, so. it just says "TypeError: whitelist is null", and after finding the linkfavicon selection in the adminCP (an indicator on the product page would be helpful :wink:) I entered a couple of sites in the whitelist and the page loads up fine.  So right now you have to have at least one entry in the whitelist to get rid of the error.

Here's the issue I have with this, however: it seems as if now you have to add each page you link to on the whitelist in order for linkfavicon to show the favicon.  For example, on the page I gave above I have two links - one from change.org and another from snopes.com.  I added change.org to the whitelist and that comes up fine and fixes the page.  However, I still have to add snopes.com in order to get that favicon to show up.  Rather inconvenient as it stands, and I (and others I wager) don't have time to add each link we include to the linkfavicon whitelist.

For this reason I have to throw in with others here who think a blacklist would be much more useful. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I had the same error as @liquidfractal Unfortunately I could not figure out what was breaking everything here.

After triggering IPS support I got this response.

Hello,

The issue with Moderator Actions and Replying to topics is caused by a Javascript error/conflict with the third party application called "Linkfavicon." Please contact the author of this application for further assistance.

Thanks,
Jim M.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
6 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Just wondering if there's any particular reason why this app can't be searched on the Marketplace?  I'm clearly able to download it locally, but it doesn't appear through the Marketplace tab in the adminCP.

Compatibility for the file is marked as 4.3 and 4.4. So if you’re running 4.5 or 4.6, it’s most likely excluded it as it’s not known to be compatible. 

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

Compatibility for the file is marked as 4.3 and 4.4. So if you’re running 4.5 or 4.6, it’s most likely excluded it as it’s not known to be compatible. 

Thanks Randy - yeah, someone else told me that the Marketplace excludes anything incompatible with your current version.  A bit of extra work for upgrading, since there are some apps (like Linkfavicon) that still work on 4.6.x.  Could Fosters then check and just adjust the version number, like other devs have done?