IPS4CS Sending Out Unsolicited Warning Messages?

Rheddy

When I logged into my site, I received an inquiry from one of my members that he received an email message from my community indicating that someone has logged in from a different location into his account. The way he phrased the message indicates that the message came from the IPS licensed software that I use on my site. The thing is, I don't recall the IPS software, ever, sending these kind of warning messages. But, I'm not sure what kind of built-in safeguards that IPS4 has. The message he sent me?

This is kind of weird. I received an email saying I logged in from a location 78704, but my house isn't in that neighborhood, mine's 78745... hmm... but Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar is in that neighborhood. I'm trying to decipher if this was me and my wi-fi has gone screwy or not, because it happened immediately when I just logged in. You think? I guess I should change my password.

My guess is that this is a zip-code and it sounds like it's sent from the wifi network he's accessing. But, I'm wondering if I should send a bulk email asking everyone to change their password if this is some attempt at bots or hackers trying to access or gaining access to the accounts of my members. If anyone can suggest any advice, I would appreciate it.

It’s normal that those ZIP addresses change all the time. Getting the location from the automatically assigned internet service provider’s IP is neither exact, nor fixed. Feel free to check your own values: https://invisioncommunity.com/settings/devices/ Mine point to dozens of locations in a 50 mile radius. 

So no, that does not point to a security issue. 

Thanks. I thought it might be his device because I know whenever I log in from a new device, I get an email from the service I'm logging into that I'm logging in from a new device. Sort of like a message reminder. Yahoo, Google, Microsoft all have the same feature as well. It's something I've always come to expect with online services.

Archived