VB3 -> IPS4 migration and key management

Florent Bouillon

Hello,

I am currently going to migrate my forum (2.5 millions messages) to IPS, and I am looking for some answers. :)

I have installed a test version of the forum, let's say on test.website.net. I  have a lot of work to do, since I want to integrate the whole website including custom php pages into the IPS structure, plus the conversion of the Vbulletin3. And so come the questions:

- Can I make my test version proper, then moving it to www.website.net or any other folder, and update the test key to the production key ? I know I an have both, but using both would mean reinstall again the Suite and redo the entire huge conversion plus all modifications (and I intend to modify a lot of templates). The question here is really not just moving the folder but also the test version as production version, I din't found any information on this precise point.

- Can I redo a migration with merging? Let's say I totally use my test version after a first try of migration. then weeks or months of work to customize. And then, when all is finished, relaunch the migration from a new imported DB. In this case would the new data correctly merge with the old, for example at the end I would have only the importation of posts created between the use of test backup and the last production DB.

Thanks for your help!

Florent

5 minutes ago, Florent Bouillon said:

Hello,

I am currently going to migrate my forum (2.5 millions messages) to IPS, and I am looking for some answers. :)

I have installed a test version of the forum, let's say on test.website.net. I  have a lot of work to do, since I want to integrate the whole website including custom php pages into the IPS structure, plus the conversion of the Vbulletin3. And so come the questions:

- Can I make my test version proper, then moving it to www.website.net or any other folder, and update the test key to the production key ? I know I an have both, but using both would mean reinstall again the Suite and redo the entire huge conversion plus all modifications (and I intend to modify a lot of templates). The question here is really not just moving the folder but also the test version as production version, I din't found any information on this precise point.

- Can I redo a migration with merging? Let's say I totally use my test version after a first try of migration. then weeks or months of work to customize. And then, when all is finished, relaunch the migration from a new imported DB. In this case would the new data correctly merge with the old, for example at the end I would have only the importation of posts created between the use of test backup and the last production DB.

Thanks for your help!

Florent

First Question : You allowed use your license for 1 live site and 1 test site but your test site must be offline and also closed off to public using password folder or you can use it on localhost (pc/laptop) more then once "recommend", once you have test site up to working order could copy the entire database and files to live site reducing work load but remember if your forum was online during the testing you will need redo the modifications again as your database would be old.

Second Question: We have no merging tool over conversion so answer would be no would need do conversion again but i would double check with IPS using client support ticket have that confirmed.

Also noticed said have custom php pages not sure what have but might have do this manual as pages is little different again support ticket to IPS could confirm this and i hope answer all above question feel free reply here if need any more help i am sure people done the above will have better understanding of VB to IPS.

Thanks for your interest,

• I have yet one test license on one online server (how could I test it otherwise?) but with restricted access by password.
  • The production site still run. The migration tool is pretty nice, I can at least update the backup database and relaunch a migration on the same test Suite. I feel that the answer to my question is "no", I need to erase the local data et redo the entire conversion.
  • If when ready I just di a copy of the test Suite on the folder of the production Suite, would not the test licence key be copied with it?

For the php pages, it's juste classical website navigation, that I will directly include in the "Pages" of Invision.

Archived