Need Help w Basic Browser Examine Tool With IPS HTML

Eupolemos

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to educate me.

On my board, I see an error/bug when I use Group Collaboration with one of Ehren's themes (plenty of code-authors on my board; not pointing fingers here). I've looked at it with chrome's examine tool and found out that it is a result of an empty or unfinished class call.

It just says

<class>

Rather than

<class="yada yada">

Here it is, if it provides any additional information:

Class-Missing.thumb.jpg.5a07fb144de3b9e6640ea8f51bb5c4a9.jpg

I know how to target classes and ids with custom CSS, but I have no clue how I use the examine tool to give me a pointer, as to which template I should be adding the class' content to. If it is indeed a template I need to fix!?

I thought this was probably kid's play to some of you seasoned people, so I might as well ask around.

Thanks @Meddysong - no luck that way around though :-(

I tried searching for the ID before the empty class as well, no luck first time around, until I realized I should only search for part of the ID.

Now I believe it is a genuine bug with the ipsTabs_content_ code. But I'm in way over my head; I may just be spewing nonsense.

The graphical issue isn't noticeable in the default theme, so I may be very alone with this.

Another edit: I tried examining it with firefox's dev-tool, and it displays a slightly different result. Here, it says <ipsTabs_content_form class=""> so it is indeed an empty class, not a typo.

For some reason, it seems ipsTabs_panels isn't called.

It is the same in the default IPS4.2 theme - the class is empty - but in default it doesn't make a graphical difference.

Having an empty class attribute should not cause any errors what-so-ever. HTML is a markup language, it is not a language in itself so having empty attributes is like having a door that doesn't lead anywhere in the blueprint of the house. It looks weird when you're evaluating it but it technically does not hurt the structure of the page or cause errors. Like what @TAMAN said, this could be that some Javascript action removed the CSS class that was there or otherwise, I would not be concerned with that itself. If you want to post the actual error you're encountering or contact the author of the add-on you're using with someone will be able to point you in the right direction ;) 

12 hours ago, steve00 said:

Have you checked same thing happens with the IPB default theme

If so then IPS fault ... if not then might want to contact the author

Yep - even said so in my post ;)

The thing is, the issue isn't an eyesore with the default theme, but it is with the custom theme.

11 hours ago, TAMAN said:

I dont think this has anything to do with whatever the issue you have 

What you pointing at in the screenshot is a result of js adding/removing classes on whatever the event was, totally normal

It does (unless I am misunderstanding you). When I fill the empty class with ipsTab_panels it looks all fine.

11 hours ago, Jim M said:

Having an empty class attribute should not cause any errors what-so-ever. HTML is a markup language, it is not a language in itself so having empty attributes is like having a door that doesn't lead anywhere in the blueprint of the house.

Well, I guess that depends on one's tolerance for errors; here it clearly becomes an eyesore.

Anyways, good news! - initially I managed a quick, dirty fix just by adding some white background via the ID on my own, but @newbie LAC REALLY saves the day in style - Thank you!!

And thank you all for being helpful :)

Archived