IPS Navigation Menu Feedback

Rheddy

The new customization that IPS instituted with the Navigation Menu Bar has turned into a veritable nightmare for me. Besides the fact that the navigation menu is now actively interfering whenever I edit an article page, it's now interfering whenever I click on a topic and I get redirected to the first new message of that topic. Before, the first new message would align perfectly within your browser window. Now? The navigational menu cuts off the message and you have to scroll up to read the posted message.

Surely, IPS could have formatted the code so that when you clicked on the topic and the topic loads into your browser, that the topic would align itself under the menu bar.

I'm urging IPS to remove the code that retains the navigation menu so that it always remains on your screen. It's just causing me far too many problems and it's become more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm just annoyed that IPS saddled us with this horrible navigation menu code. I'm hoping that someone posts a fix for this.

@Rikki, well, when I scroll down through the topic, the Navigation Menu remains fixed at the top of the browser page. Sort of like a static sidebar that moves with you as you scroll down a website page. It happens on my modified IPS Forum Skin and it does the same on an unmodified forum skin. I haven't been able to explain it. I noticed it when I upgraded to IPS 4.2. I've tried installing various free forum skins and it's the same thing. The only thing I can say is that this "static" floating navigation menu seems to present itself on any forum skin I install.

That's not a standard behavior - I am intentionally very cautious of any sticky menus because they're quite a bugbear of mine! Feel free to submit a support ticket if you aren't able to figure out where that behavior is coming from, and we can take a look.

@Rikki, nevermind. LOLS. I guess I had Fixed Navbar installed without realizing it was causing this problem. But, you're right, it did cause me serious problems with now it works with IPS. I didn't know what it was when I installed it. :lol: I thought it was the IPS software. ehehe. I've been spending a week or two trying to figure out what was wrong.

Well, since IPS 3.x was released, ti does take me awhile to get used to it as I try to familiarize myself with the template code. It's a major learning curve for me with each new version. I didn't mean that I was saddled with IPS, I was just frustrated with why the fixed navigation menu was happening. It's my fault that I didn't think someone's third-party plugin was conflicting with the IPS software.

For that, my apologies, gentlemen. Or, as Home Simpson would say;

@Tom S., @Joel R hit it on the nose. The plugin would scroll the navigation menu, no matter where you visited on your site.

Thing is, that Fixed NavBar plugin is a piece of crap. It was creating all sorts of problems for me. It would display the navbar at the top AND bottom of the page when I would edit a Pages article, totally blocking out the editing options of Pages and then there are the alignment problems whenever you clicked on a topic and were taken to the first unread post. I thought the plugin fixed issues with the navigation bar which is why I had installed it, thinking nothing of it. I spent over a week trying to figure the thing out. It wasn't until I had posted this topic and Rikki responded, that I decided to see if maybe it was a plugin.

this is usually what happens. I spend time trying to figure out the problem and when I can't find a solution, I end up finding a solution to it after I've posted the topic. Doesn't happen that often but sometimes the solution presents itself. There's only one thing I'm trying to figure out, and that's trying to restore the forum post count for the actual number of posts made on the forums. Been tryign to get my forums to report even the deleted posted messages ini the board stats. lols

28 minutes ago, Rheddy said:

@Tom S., @Joel R hit it on the nose. The plugin would scroll the navigation menu, no matter where you visited on your site.

Thing is, that Fixed NavBar plugin is a piece of crap. It was creating all sorts of problems for me. It would display the navbar at the top AND bottom of the page when I would edit a Pages article, totally blocking out the editing options of Pages and then there are the alignment problems whenever you clicked on a topic and were taken to the first unread post. I thought the plugin fixed issues with the navigation bar which is why I had installed it, thinking nothing of it. I spent over a week trying to figure the thing out. It wasn't until I had posted this topic and Rikki responded, that I decided to see if maybe it was a plugin.

To me a fixed navbar at the top of a page should not get in the way if coded properly. That must have been just a bad plugin, as you say :lol:

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

Because it covers items even if you scroll.  

Are we talking about the same thing?

https://cloud.google.com/

What's wrong with how they have done it?

@Tom S., the way it was created for the IPS forum, the plugin, it was interfering with the articles/page editor not to mention that when you clicked on a topic, the first unread post usually aligns with the top of the browser window page, just below the bookmark toolbar. But, the fixed navbar plugin doesn't realign the first unread post under the navbar, which it should do. It might have been an oversight on the part of the developer of that plugin. Plus, it interfere's with the page article editor. I'll post a screenshot:

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.1d2ebf492cbdbf1765a3afecb887e87e.jpg

Archived