PHPBB Converter

The Britain

Prefix (or lack of) correct yes ?

If it should persist as its localhost, with phpmyadmin create a new database user and give this one a password (and give it appropriate permissions) , then try using those credentials for the db user/pass on that screen. This should not be necessary and its a bit of a 'shot in the dark' but worth trying.

9 minutes ago, AndyF said:

Prefix (or lack of) correct yes ?

If it should persist as its localhost, with phpmyadmin create a new database user and give this one a password (and give it appropriate permissions) , then try using those credentials for the db user/pass on that screen. This should not be necessary and its a bit of a 'shot in the dark' but worth trying.

Hey it was a great shot, but it didn't work.

image.png.a9748f008942e40c48ef34689f4c23cd.png

image.thumb.png.e66631df07fbf8d824c4d6a0e701057b.png

3 hours ago, AndyF said:

Hmm.

OK for the 'Database Host' line try this instead:

localhost:3306

Both with and without the port line present (try it 'as is' then try it empty)

I tried it with, no go, and I tried it without, it errors telling me I must insert a value. Also I did verify everything was working with a basic php script and it is receiving on port 3306.

image.thumb.png.ec3442e75fac11d5d4e6f69f614da966.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=dc6d6c31aa595442

You're sure (sorry to ask again!) you do not have a prefix on the phpbb database yes ? :)

If this was your "live" server I'd say to add the account name in front of it, like accname_afold

Copy and paste this into a text file and rename it to a .php extention. Adjust the values as required...

'database name here' / 'database username here' / 'database user password here'

... and then upload it and visit it in your browser. Does it connect *and* display the tables properly ?

<?php
$dbname = 'database name here';
if (!mysql_connect('localhost', 'database username here', 'database user password here')) {
echo 'Could not connect to mysql';
exit;
}
$sql = "SHOW TABLES FROM $dbname";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
if (!$result) {
echo "DB Error, could not list tables\n";
echo 'MySQL Error: ' . mysql_error();
exit;
}
while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) {
echo "<br />Table: {$row[0]}<br />";
}
mysql_free_result($result);
?>

Should have a list of tables if it can connect. Please use the exact data you have input into the conversion page to be sure its being fed identical information. You might have a depreciated warning error as the script is a bit out of date (I'm not a php coder as such) but it should hopefully show if it can connect properly via php this way or not...

12 minutes ago, AndyF said:

You're sure (sorry to ask again!) you do not have a prefix on the phpbb database yes ? :)

If this was your "live" server I'd say to add the account name in front of it, like accname_afold

Copy and paste this into a text file and rename it to a .php extention. Adjust the values as required...

'database name here' / 'database username here' / 'database user password here'

... and then upload it and visit it in your browser. Does it connect *and* display the tables properly ?

<?php
$dbname = 'database name here';
if (!mysql_connect('localhost', 'database username here', 'database user password here')) {
echo 'Could not connect to mysql';
exit;
}
$sql = "SHOW TABLES FROM $dbname";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
if (!$result) {
echo "DB Error, could not list tables\n";
echo 'MySQL Error: ' . mysql_error();
exit;
}
while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) {
echo "<br />Table: {$row[0]}<br />";
}
mysql_free_result($result);
?>

Should have a list of tables if it can connect. Please use the exact data you have input into the conversion page to be sure its being fed identical information. You might have a depreciated warning error as the script is a bit out of date (I'm not a php coder as such) but it should hopefully show if it can connect properly via php this way or not...

I do want to thank you for taking your weekend to help me. I don't expect that from anyone.

opera_2017-09-09_13-25-31.png

5 minutes ago, AndyF said:

:) You do appear to have a db prefix.

Put the db port back to 3306,the host back to 127.0.0.1 and the db name back as you originally had when you started the topic.

For the database prefix put in:

phpbb_

or

phpbb

Any better ? :)

It's phpbb_, that seems to have done the trick. For some reason I was thinking database name prefix. I wish there was a more verbose error for this. Thanks for your help!

5 minutes ago, The Britain said:

It's phpbb_, that seems to have done the trick. For some reason I was thinking database name prefix

Yes as soon as I saw your table listing I could see the likely cause of the issue. :)

For some reason I was thinking database name prefix. I wish there was a more verbose error for this.

Its easily done. When I typed my reply I actually initially put "database name" not "prefix" but realised it as soon as I submitted it so edited it up (if you have an email copy of the post it may look different) but yes it is an easy point of confusion sometimes.

Regarding more verbosity on the error, unfortunately its more a limitation of what php gives you than anything else, (at least as I see it anyway). I do see appreciate what you're saying but as far as it appears to be concerned there is 'no connection'

Thanks for your help!

Most welcome. :) Enjoy your conversion. :)

Its asking for a path not a URL ;) You have entered the URL. :)

For me a path would be (for example as I use Wamp in a different drive) D:\Wamp\board_folder_name

Your path will vary obviously here. You might have to try it with forward slashes / instead too if it still protests as I'm assuming as this is localhost you're doing it on Windows. Try it as is first then if it complains swap them to / instead.

Topics/Posts will be converted as they are the main item with a forum > forum conversion. I would speculate that they will become visible once members are imported as that data is needed first.

phpbb_import.png

17 minutes ago, AndyF said:

Its asking for a path not a URL ;) You have entered the URL. :)

For me a path would be (for example as I use Wamp in a different drive) D:\Wamp\board_folder_name

Your path will vary obviously here. You might have to try it with forward slashes / instead too if it still protests as I'm assuming as this is localhost you're doing it on Windows. Try it as is first then if it complains swap them to / instead.

Topics/Posts will be converted as they are the main item with a forum > forum conversion. I would speculate that they will become visible once members are imported as that data is needed first.

phpbb_import.png

Oh ok, I just need to get this working first then.

I was accidentally putting the path in the avatar hash as well, this is corrected here.

image.thumb.png.7676af04bb25d7f7ad26203a37532ae7.png

I've tried all variations of this, and I can get to the folder no problem 

I made sure I could get to it with no issue. I put it in the "uploads" folder and removed the .htaccess for now.

image.thumb.png.f499e1b96a0d339fc467e1e322f0d982.png

afnew is the root of the IPS site

I tried /afnew/uploads/avatars/upload/ and every variation of that as well.

Ah OK great if its working. :)

I was about to post you were looking at a URL not the path, path being the "file path" which is completely different to a URL:

example path (Linux): ~home/public_html/site/something

example path (Windows) G:\IIS\pub\www\something

example url: localhost/site/something

As long as its working. :)

1 minute ago, AndyF said:

Ah OK great if its working. :)

I was about to post you were looking at a URL not the path, path being the "file path" which is completely different to a URL:

example path (Linux): ~home/public_html/site/something

example path (Windows) G:\IIS\pub\www\something

example url: localhost/site/something

As long as its working. :)

Alas, this is only a test, which means I have to do it all over again when we convert it "for real". I'm hoping the rest is painless.

Alas, this is only a test, which means I have to do it all over again when we convert it "for real". I'm hoping the rest is painless.

It should be easier to be honest as you're aware now of a few things you may not of been previously such as the db prefix. I think you'll be fine to be honest. :)

The only real caveat (as I read this topic, the last few replies at least) is to be sure when it asks for a path or a URL you provide the correct one, although it won't break if you don't it will just complain. :) So if you end up slightly stuck on one of those pages, take a moment to check you have put what it has requested, it is very easily done to mix them up.

EDIT... And if you do get stuck during the live conversion (I doubt it) you can simply post here and someone may be able to assist.

Finish will rebuild the data (the "cleanup" as such)

I'm surprised you do not have them there already :unsure: as its an essential part of it. It may of already done them but I'd of expected to see them.

Is it phpbb 31/32 you're "importing" yes not 30 or lower (2x) ?

Just now, AndyF said:

Finish will rebuild the data (the "cleanup" as such)

I'm surprised you do not have them there already :unsure: as its an essential part of it. It may of already done them but I'd of expected to see them.

Is it phpbb 31/32 you're "importing" yes not 30 or lower (2x) ?

Yes, I just looked at the version in the phpbb config. It is phpbb 3.

New options in the new conversion menu, I will try these out.

image.thumb.png.92ddeccef9dfe757d88db6ad93dc63ca.png

5 minutes ago, AndyF said:

Great stuff. :)

I've not used it for phpbb for a while (you have to bear in mind I'm not support staff, my role is here Marketplace) but I'll assist where I can with said topics.

Hey I appreciate any help at all! It's Saturday, I wasn't expecting anyone to even be on haha.

Archived