What folders / files to choose when backing up my website?

MikeHolly

30 minutes ago, MikeHolly said:

@Adlago I am receiving a lot of change reports when my backup report is run from the folder "datastore", would you suggest excluding the datastore folder from the original and subsequent backups, i.e. they will not be required if a restore is ever needed?

This directory 'datastore' is used by various systems to save arbitrary data.  You can delete all files in this directory - the system IPS 4.x,x restore it from database files.

That's why you do not need a backup for this directory.

7 minutes ago, AndyF said:

datastore is usually rebuilt as its temporary data. If its got a .htaccess or empty index.htm file in it, these two need to stay (the index file is quite likely to be present at least)

Yes it does Andy, so I will leave that one there then.

....and thank you both again :)

:) No problem.

I know you have your reasons for doing individual directories etc, but would it not be easier to just grab the suite directory complete ? /datastore is not usually too massive.

Each to their own though. If your method works OK for you then I would not even suggest changing it. :)

EDIT... I'm assuming you have something else to take a backup of the database yes ? As that is probably in 99% of cases more vital than any part of the filesystem, no database = no data. :)

I do backup files and databases only on the test site - when there are alpha tests. Because it is comparatively small and fast as a recovery time.
My host maintains a backup server - every day at 3:00 ... I have a full backup for 7 days back. It is easy and convenient - and you do not think about it.

If I have to do a backup manually, for all my account - wow I will be left without hair, which anyway is already white ... ha ha ...(w00t)

You could ignore datastore. It will repopulate itself. The site might be a bit sluggish for a few moments though.

The .htaccess file you can recreate anyway via the Security Center in the ACP (A good idea to do this regardless) via System > Security > "Protect writable folders from dangerous files" option. This will write .htaccess files into appropriate directories.

Archived