Prevent forum sidebar appearing in Club forums

christopher-w

Hey All,

Hopefully title is self explanatory... but if not here goes.

I've added a couple of forum widgets to my forum sidebar but they also show up alongside forums inside Clubs. Is there any way to control this?

I've thought about hiding (wasteful I know) club forum sidebars in CSS using data-pagemodule="clubs" as part of a CSS selector, but this doesn't show when clubs are displaying embedded apps, such as forums.

Appreciate any help or pointers - I'm thinking I've missed something in the design philosophy and this probably a simple thing to fix?

Chris

I've had the same problem. Here: 

At this point I'm assuming IPS has not considered this relevant to current Clubs implementation which is just... odd. It's one thing to start simple and then make development choices based on feedback but quite another to have such a clumsy approach to the design here; by default, you put a block in a forum and it appears in the Topics tab of every Club that has one and vice versa.

Hopefully my assumption is wrong and either this is a bug or has yet to be addressed. If it is the latter, this can't come soon enough.

Yes much the same situation here.

I think the issue stems from lack of context on pages in general, so for example, it's not possible out of the box to link datasets, eg, show all records, topics, downloads etc,  by the same author as the main post - at least not in a user configurable sense. Correct me anybody, if I am wrong. The pattern for this type of linked view is all over the place, notably in Sharepoint's linked viewport model.

If it's of any help, I am in discussions with a well known developer of IPS apps and prompted by discussions he's had with me and another, is currently working on context sensitive blocks. The app when done might get you someway towards where you want to go. We are currently tracking the apps progress on his dedicated site, so perhaps if both sides agree, you can join in...?

Best wishes,

Chris

Edit:

@Fosters has already mentioned it here:

On 09/08/2017 at 6:13 AM, Fosters said:

Yea, a separate app for pages app is already finished and being tested :) should be released later today 

So between us we should be able to come up with a fix...

Wait, to avoid any confusion...:P 

We have:

6 minutes ago, Fosters said:

Wait, to avoid any confusion...:P 

We have:

• Forum Sidebars ( That's the one where I'll try to separate the sidebar from forums and club forums)
  • Page Sidebars
  • And then another app, which is being developed, but which isn't related to any of the above points and feature sets.:drool:

So,

I will need Forums sidebar app  for the club/forums sidebar issue 

and

the app currently in dev for solving the context issue in Pages 

plus.. you are developing something else too...

It's Christmas.. :)

No,

4 minutes ago, christopher-w said:

the app currently in dev for solving the context issue in Pages 

plus.. you are developing something else too...

This is the same:D

The quote from https://invisioncommunity.com/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=439865&content_commentid=2704971 was referring to https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8649-pages-sidebar/ and not the contextual pages blocks which we're working on ATM

Archived