News Ticker [ support topic ]

Thanks. I'll try and work it out but I have tried putting it at the top of the page – non-sticky so that it scrolls out of sight when you scroll the page and I can't get it to do it.

All the previous versions manage that without any problem.

Our theme is standard IPS – simply with some colour changes.

Well yesterday I couldn't get the custom ticket work but I left it switched on in the admin CP. But there was no custom ticket.

Today I did a page refresh and all of a sudden this happened:

image.thumb.png.3af8f537401426723732ce5b10a3b068.png

Which basically is a huge custom sticker with everything ticking along – our logo, my avatar, all the little icons at the top right

image.png.828ca40664abe36d7ed6ed0c03ba636e.png

but very large – magnified!

All sliding along at a different speed to the main top sticky ticker.
The custom ticker was not sticky and so it would scroll of the page

I've switched custom off for the moment

Edited by BankFodder
43 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Well yesterday I couldn't get the custom ticket work but I left it switched on in the admin CP. But there was no custom ticket.

Today I did a page refresh and all of a sudden this happened:

image.thumb.png.3af8f537401426723732ce5b10a3b068.png

Which basically is a huge custom sticker with everything ticking along – our logo, my avatar, all the little icons at the top right

image.png.828ca40664abe36d7ed6ed0c03ba636e.png

but very large – magnified!

All sliding along at a different speed to the main top sticky ticker.
The custom ticker was not sticky and so it would scroll of the page

I've switched custom off for the moment

sorry, looks like a mistake in element selecting for the location option, will be fixed in next update

for now please either use the custom option or use the widgets news ticker

I'm afraid that we are getting complaints about the ticker because is sticky and so always there and very distracting.

When it wasn't sticky it was perfect.

I'm going to have to switch it off but I'd be grateful if you could let me have the tag code to restore it as it used to be in the previous version.

Thanks

I've found a workaround to getting the custom ticker at the top working.

1. Switch on "custom" in the admin CP and set it above the user bar.
  2. The ticker bar will then appear very large on the front-end.
  3. Open the front end ticker bar settings and set it for "pages" and get it to display a page.
  4. You will then have a massive ticker display across the screen.
  5. Go back to the front end ticker bar settings and then set it back to "custom".
  6. Save it – and magically it all works correctly.

I did this accidentally and it worked on the test site and I had to do it again and it worked on the live site.

I can certainly understand most people won't stumble across this and of course I'm sure isn't meant to be like this.
The only thing that would be nice now would be if the bottom little margin would appear.

Other than that, it now seems to work perfectly in the way that we needed – but of course the installation glitch will need to be sorted out.

Edited by BankFodder
On 6/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, BankFodder said:

Don't worry. Frankly I'm glad I'm not a coder. It must be a nightmare.

Anyway, the sudden appearance of the gigantic custom ticker was actually quite funny once I got over the shock and also once I realise that I could switch it off.

On 6/27/2021 at 4:59 AM, BankFodder said:

I'm afraid that we are getting complaints about the ticker because is sticky and so always there and very distracting.

When it wasn't sticky it was perfect.

I'm going to have to switch it off but I'd be grateful if you could let me have the tag code to restore it as it used to be in the previous version.

Thanks

On 6/27/2021 at 5:52 AM, BankFodder said:

I've found a workaround to getting the custom ticker at the top working.

1. Switch on "custom" in the admin CP and set it above the user bar.
  2. The ticker bar will then appear very large on the front-end.
  3. Open the front end ticker bar settings and set it for "pages" and get it to display a page.
  4. You will then have a massive ticker display across the screen.
  5. Go back to the front end ticker bar settings and then set it back to "custom".
  6. Save it – and magically it all works correctly.

I did this accidentally and it worked on the test site and I had to do it again and it worked on the live site.

I can certainly understand most people won't stumble across this and of course I'm sure isn't meant to be like this.
The only thing that would be nice now would be if the bottom little margin would appear.

Other than that, it now seems to work perfectly in the way that we needed – but of course the installation glitch will need to be sorted out.

a new update was released please be patient as it gets accepted in ips marketplace 

whats fixed in the new update?

1. location issue was fixed. now you can select under user bar without haven any glitches or messing with userbar elements. 
  2. fixed z-index issue on sticky news ticker widgets.

1 hour ago, Donald Meek said:

i cant get it to work it sits there but no text scrolls across

its a new interface for adding text is the old <li> text </li> still valid?

Yes it's still valid and you can even use spans or divs now

What kind of ticker are you adding? the custom news ticker or widgets news ticker? And have you checked the configurations if everything is alright?

I've now discovered part of the reason. Our live site isn't upgraded to 4.6.3. It is still on 4.5.

So it seems to me that the ticker won't run on anybody site who hasn't done the upgrade yet. We are still testing so the ticket doesn't work on live site.

I got it working on the test site with the upgrade

But also it would be helpful if it would still work with 4.5. Maybe other people haven't upgraded yet or have decided not to for some reason or other.

https://www.cagtest.co.uk/

Edited by BankFodder
58 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

I've now discovered part of the reason. Our live site isn't upgraded to 4.6.3. It is still on 4.5.

So it seems to me that the ticker won't run on anybody site who hasn't done the upgrade yet. We are still testing so the ticket doesn't work on live site.

I got it working on the test site with the upgrade

But also it would be helpful if it would still work with 4.5. Maybe other people haven't upgraded yet or have decided not to for some reason or other.

https://www.cagtest.co.uk/

IPS marketplace files depend on the version 

this plugin still works on previus versions if you have it installed 🙂 

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Hi, thanks for doing the update – but I'm afraid now it just won't work at all as a custom ticker where it used to be one of the top of the page.

I've tried every permutation but it won't work. Like an idiot I didn't try it on our test site first

if you are using the widgets news ticker on latest version you can add sticky news ticker widgets that show on top or bottom or page 

you can also enable the custom news ticker in the plugin and then select the "On top of page" in Location option 🙂 its not sticky that way and you can basically show it anywhere in ips 

Edited by TAMAN

Hi again, it's still not working on our 4.5.2 live installation. It is working correctly on our 4.6.3 test site.

Here is the setting for the plug-in on the live site. You

image.png.9b7959e839c77e6539bec5a51806ff84.png

this is exactly the same setting as on the test site.

We don't want it to be a sticky because it was causing problems last time for people having the ticker running past their eyes all the time. It needs to be able to scroll away with the page.

We haven't upgraded to 4.6.3 yet because I'm still waiting for some support from @CodingJungle for the keywords application which is crucial to what we do. I've been putting a shout out to @CodingJungle for some considerable time now but I'm not getting any response. In fact it seems other people have been trying to get hold him as well but although he has visited this Invision site, he hasn't responded to the queries with the keyword application.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 8:32 AM, TAMAN said:

Yes it's still valid and you can even use spans or divs now

What kind of ticker are you adding? the custom news ticker or widgets news ticker? And have you checked the configurations if everything is alright?

tried it again cant get it working at all it wont show up on system i am using the custom news ticker i think

18 minutes ago, Donald Meek said:

tried it again cant get it working at all it wont show up on system i am using the custom news ticker i think

it was exactly the same with me and then about 24 hours later it suddenly sprang into life – for no discernible reason. Now it works perfectly

Admincp

image.png.0cc9236dbe223f48c4fc3248bb10c75a.png

Front end

image.thumb.png.1bf8f0cd06913df353fccc36bf2efb07.png

image.png.7cea032c72de4c301d8573005b797322.png

3 hours ago, BankFodder said:

it was exactly the same with me and then about 24 hours later it suddenly sprang into life – for no discernible reason. Now it works perfectly

Admincp

Front end

All is perfect now 🙂 

i moved options and color settings to front-end side so its easily customizable like the news ticker widgets ^^ 

the only difference is the custom news ticker has no translatable fields but with the widgets news ticker you can add translatable news tickers 

Edited by TAMAN
4 hours ago, Donald Meek said:

Hi,

the custom news ticker has its own location option in the plugin settings, you also have some other options to setup 🙂 

9ff79cbe06aa241786ecb0db368e00ea.png

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Well on one hand I feel resentful because I purchased it.

But on the other hand, congratulations and everybody should take advantage of this because it is a fantastic plugin.

Sorry to hear that, im pretty sure some others would feel the same 😄 so...feel free to send a message and ask for a refund if you have just bought it 😅 

the plugin has no problems and works GOOD and i would probably just need to set it free

Please don't purchase 🙂 

1 minute ago, BankFodder said:

No. I'm not asking for a refund. It is excellent value

I hope you are going to keep supporting it and developing it

Thank you! 🙂 

I'm making it free so that i can always support it. actually thats the only point of making it free 😅