Gallery - Sort/Upload Order

Bill Edwards

When photos are uploaded to the Gallery, they appear in reverse order. I've reported to Tech Support who state it is irrelevant as they can be sorted by the Album Owner and the Album Browser.

However, when using the film strip view it is relevant as it leads to a user experience which is poor.

To explain:

An album uploaded in default order - On the Gallery page, click the FIRST photo. It appears LAST in the film strip and to view the others you have have to click "BACK". As it's the FIRST photo, it should appear FIRST in the film strip.

Even worse if you've changed the sort order. The FIRST gallery photo could appear ANYWHERE in the film strip leaving users with no way to view all the photos without going to either end before clicking through.

Solution - photos on the film strip should be sorted in the same order they appear on the gallery page. 

I can't believe this is in Feedback.  This shouldn't even be a problem.  I have the same exact support ticket open, and they should be fixing this in the next release.  Per an IPS response on 08/28/2017 to my ticket:

Hello,

I have submitted a patch for development review to resolve this issue. I apologize for any inconvenience in the mean time, but once reviewed the patch should be included in an upcoming maintenance release.

Thanks,
Brandon Farber
Technical Support / Development

You need to tell that particular Tech Support that if he wants to go on vacation backwards, if he wants to view a parade backwards, if he wants to watch the world spin backwards, then he's certainly willing to do so.  But it's shameful to tell IPS clients that they can simply sort their own Album Order and the Album Browser when IPS hasn't built the proper default.  And if that Tech Support wants to be a pissant, he can ... you know, REORDER HIS LIFE PRIORITIES.  Problem solved, right?? 

The fact that this is still a problem on 4.2.3 reeks of the lack of attention IPS pays to IP.Gallery, one of the most popular apps in the suite.  It's even more ridiculous to think that IPS Support is telling clients its somehow our problem.

9 hours ago, Joel R said:

I can't believe this is in Feedback.  This shouldn't even be a problem.  I have the same exact support ticket open, and they should be fixing this in the next release.  Per an IPS response on 08/28/2017 to my ticket:

You need to tell that particular Tech Support that if he wants to go on vacation backwards, if he wants to view a parade backwards, if he wants to watch the world spin backwards, then he's certainly willing to do so.  But it's shameful to tell IPS clients that they can simply sort their own Album Order and the Album Browser when IPS hasn't built the proper default.  And if that Tech Support wants to be a pissant, he can ... you know, REORDER HIS LIFE PRIORITIES.  Problem solved, right?? 

The fact that this is still a problem on 4.2.3 reeks of the lack of attention IPS pays to IP.Gallery, one of the most popular apps in the suite.  It's even more ridiculous to think that IPS Support is telling clients its somehow our problem.

Many thanks for your comments. Our forum is image heavy - after a recent issue with a photo topic with hundreds of photos we were advised that we should be using the Gallery for photos, not topics. I've tried my hardest to like Gallery but it is buggy, unfriendly and uncustomisable. It seems to be the poor relation in the software suite. I have no idea how I can persuade my members to use it (my members are very resistant to change) when I can't even get the basics right for them!

@Lindy Any input here please?

1 hour ago, Bill Edwards said:

Our forum is image heavy - after a recent issue with a photo topic with hundreds of photos we were advised that we should be using the Gallery for photos, not topics.

This is very weird recommendation. Topic attachments and Gallery albums have very distinctive purposes. If you have a lot of action and activity in topics, I would suggest to not move to gallery - most people find it more difficult and eventually your discussions will lose focus. 

And yes, most of the apps outside of Forums and Pages, sadly, are not getting much attention.

• 1 month later...

@Bill Edwards it may be worth consolidating your Gallery feedback in this topic:

I also agree the album sorting does need looking at...

You can set a default sort order of albums for a given category, but there doesn't appear to be a way to set a default sort order for images once you're inside an album?

The sort options are only temporary via URL parameters, e.g.
?sortby=image_caption&sortby=image_date&sortdirection=desc

16 hours ago, Optic14 said:

@Bill Edwards it may be worth consolidating your Gallery feedback in this topic:

I also agree the album sorting does need looking at...

You can set a default sort order of albums for a given category, but there doesn't appear to be a way to set a default sort order for images once you're inside an album?

The sort options are only temporary via URL parameters, e.g.
?sortby=image_caption&sortby=image_date&sortdirection=desc

That is correct.  There is no "sort direction," only "sort by" and IPS forces the direction based upon what it thinks is the most common use.

Archived