Embed tables in blog posts and forums posts

Steph Jensen

Some of my users are asking for an option to include tables or spreadsheets in their posts.
The site is about racing, so they need a way to organize and present racing results through the site.

There are multiple options for this, like embedding google spreadsheets or exporting a MS excel sheet, but this does not seem to work when the post is published.
Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this?

If you want the ability to create simple tables in blog and forum posts, this is really controlled by the editor.  There are buttons you can add to CKEditor to provide table functions.  Visit ckeditor.com and run a search for tables.  This should get you started:

https://ckeditor.com/addon/table

There are also other added functions for tables which rely on this core table addon.

51 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

If you want the ability to create simple tables in blog and forum posts, this is really controlled by the editor.  There are buttons you can add to CKEditor to provide table functions.  Visit ckeditor.com and run a search for tables.  This should get you started:

https://ckeditor.com/addon/table

There are also other added functions for tables which rely on this core table addon.

Thanks for this!
I'm checking it out right now. Do you know what version of CKEditor comes with IPS?

1 hour ago, Steph Jensen said:

I'm checking it out right now. Do you know what version of CKEditor comes with IPS?

You can always find out the version currently used from your AdminCP: click Customization / Toolbars (under the Editor heading), then click the Add Button button at the top-left (a bit tedious just to find out the CKeditor version number I know, but that's the only way I know of :unsure:).  The current version in use is 4.7.1.

And if you go down this road, one tip: if you've added many buttons to your editor (as I have), it helps to take a screenshot of your completed editor layout once it's done and save the image somewhere; if you have to start from scratch, then you'll remember the button layout you had before. :)

Hope this helps!

57 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

(a bit tedious just to find out the CKeditor version number I know, but that's the only way I know of :unsure:)

Check the credits.txt file at the root of your site (or the download package, if the file was deleted from the site)

40 minutes ago, Steph Jensen said:

Great thanks! 

I'm guessing that this is where I add plug ins to the editor too? I tired uploading the plug ins to the ckeditor plug in folder through FTP but I couldn't figure out how to make it load them

Yes, use the 'Add button' for all additional plugins (button or no button) including dependencies.

Archived