Google search option?

bpn

6 hours ago, bpn said:

Thanks Joel, I suggest this as a standard option.
Has IPS commented on this before? Would be interesting to hear why such an obvious function is not implemented.

No, and I doubt this will ever be an option by IPS.  

Google cannot crawl private pages.  

We used a hook for this in 3.x and my impression is that it got far more use that the built-in search. Most of our site is indexed by Google.
Unfortunately it wasn't updated for 4.x. Hence my suggestion, primary functionality should be native, 3. party tends to become obsolete.

2 hours ago, bpn said:

We used a hook for this in 3.x and my impression is that it got far more use that the built-in search. Most of our site is indexed by Google.
Unfortunately it wasn't updated for 4.x. Hence my suggestion, primary functionality should be native, 3. party tends to become obsolete.

Google CSE has been updated for IPS 4:

On 8/21/2017 at 10:28 AM, Square Wheels said:

Only says 4.1.7, not 4.2.

I was only pointing out that it had been updated for IPS 4.x - renewed interest could get the developer (or another developer interested in taking on the project) to update it - IF it needs updating at all. Not all addons designed to work with 4.1 won't work with 4.2 - it all depends on how the addon is written and what it relies on to integrate with IPS.

Archived