Twitter Promotion Error

I'm having constant errors when it comes to using the Promote feature on Twitter. Everything's working fine on Facebook. I can also log in to my website using Twitter, I just can't promote.

Here's the error I'm having:

array ( 'request' => '/1.1/statuses/update.json', 'error' => 'Read-only application cannot POST.', )

I've double checked the Twitter app and it's definitely got it's permissions set to read and write. I also regenerated the API key and secret and re-entered it, but still no luck. I've waited a few days to make sure it's failing but sadly it still is.

Anyone else getting this error?

@Tikkuy

We had the same issue here and here is what the support told us (it worked): login to apps.twitter.com with your account and under the app you have enable to access your website, you need to change permissions from "read only" to "read and write". After saving this, you will need to generate a new API token/secret, and this must be reconfigured at your ACP under login handlers. After doing that, you will need to unlink your twitter account from both the ACP promotion page and also from the user settings at the front end. After doing that, re-link your twitter account to your user, and re-link your twitter account to your Promote settings page. After doing that, it will work.

The support also told me that they will improve this in the next release.

PS: You posted this question in the wrong forums. ;)

2 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Tikkuy

We had the same issue here and here is what the support told us (it worked): login to apps.twitter.com with your account and under the app you have enable to access your website, you need to change permissions from "read only" to "read and write". After saving this, you will need to generate a new API token/secret, and this must be reconfigured at your ACP under login handlers. After doing that, you will need to unlink your twitter account from both the ACP promotion page and also from the user settings at the front end. After doing that, re-link your twitter account to your user, and re-link your twitter account to your Promote settings page. After doing that, it will work.

The support also told me that they will improve this in the next release.

PS: You posted this question in the wrong forums. ;)

I've tried the first part of that step, but i haven't unlinked and relinked the Twitter account. I'll give that a go and report back on any progress!

And I'm sure you're right, but for some reason IPS mods have given me permission to post in this sub-forum but not Peer to Peer Technical Support. Don't ask me why. :p

Update: Unlinking and relinking it seemed to work perfectly. Thanks so much for the advice!

I hate to push my luck, but do you have any idea about promoting articles? I don't even have the Promote button up there for them, only forum posts.

Archived