Can I control what content is posted on profile pages?

simonle

Is it possible to control what kind of content from the other apps is automatically posted on user profiles?

I am using the gallery app and I don't want my users profile pages to look like this (see image below) when they create a new album and upload a bunch of photos. I just want the entry "gallery album" to be visible on user profile pages - and NOT every "gallery image" posted.

2017-08-05.thumb.png.ea0e1c06ec222de20f18dd9604c3b0f6.png

Please tell me there is a way to fix this?

1. If you're using 4.2+, then it should only post the album as a new content items.  I don't think it should post every gallery image

2. This looks like the Activity tab on the user profile.  No, there are no settings in general to control or filter the content.

I think surely this must be either a bug or an oversight?

As @Joel R has noted if you create a new album with images inside it displays correctly by displaying  just the new album update "(member) posted a gallery album in (album)" on All Activity stream:

gallery-all-activity-album.thumb.jpg.fd8a6033833206d2f0a8836f5beff6f8.jpg

But if you view Activity tab on the member's profile it displays the above AND also each individual image which floods the whole feed.. (bye bye recent status updates :cry: - unless you drill l further to "See my Activity" and filter it manually)

profile-gallery-issue.thumb.jpg.e82a6a776e0bc1902509fd2d55d85ced.jpg

Is it worth making a ticket about this? I've raised a ticket to get IPS's thoughts..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

When a user uploads new images to an album the new images are displayed correctly in one new entry in the activity feed.

But when a user uploads new images to a photo gallery without an album, each new image will be displayed individually in the activity feed and profile page. If someone uploads several new images at once it floods the activity feed and the user's profile page, and it just looks so bad.

Hey @Lindy ? please tell me this will be fixed in 4.3? ?

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 12:01 AM, simonle said:

When a user uploads new images to an album the new images are displayed correctly in one new entry in the activity feed.

But when a user uploads new images to a photo gallery without an album, each new image will be displayed individually in the activity feed and profile page. If someone uploads several new images at once it floods the activity feed and the user's profile page, and it just looks so bad.

It's disappointing to see that this has not yet been fixed in 4.3. ? Please IPS, consider fixing this in the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed on 4.3.4 it still is an issue... still getting a flood of "user posted a gallery image"

Instead of getting just the ONE, nice single user "added images to a gallery album in <Gallery album name>

profile-recent-activity-gallery-media.thumb.jpg.ad112a551d8f5e86b721462041bcf6de.jpg

@bfarber I remember you applied a manual patch on my forum ( ticket #991005 ) back in October 2017.

But it didn't seem to make it in later releases? Will this change be coming in a future release?

It would also be great to get that nice single user "added images to a gallery album in <Gallery album name> for:

• Activity Stream
  • Tag pages

Activity Stream:

music-activity-stream.thumb.jpg.576d5051d9ef6e1927f4db4902f85297.jpg

Tag pages:

tag-music.thumb.jpg.22e984cc4e16bc83ca9b4c62b7c42a5d.jpg

In fact you guys are showcasing the nice "posted a gallery album" on the Activity Stream, on your Content Discovery marketing page!

https://invisioncommunity.com/features/discovery/

When users are adding multiple images in one upload! We just need this same consistent behaviour across all feeds - activity stream, user profiles and tag pages!

@Lindy

At the moment content discovery + member profile feeds for gallery images takes up too much room + excessive scrolling if multiple images are uploaded in one session. They should be consolidated in one row (which already exists for member profiles, and should be added on Activity Streams/Tag pages) and prevent individual "user posted a gallery image" rows from being shown, unless of course they only upload one image in a given album.

I hope you strongly consider this suggestion, thank you. ?

Archived