Jump to content

CodingJungle's Apps [support topic]


CodingJungle

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, jair101 said:

Have you thought about expanding the "plus" in to series? Gallery, commerce, etc. can use some improvements similar to the downloads app.

i've thought about making something for forums like adding in community moderation (like setting a threshold when a post is rated down, and its positive to negative ratio hits the threshold it's content gets "hidden" like a spoiler and flagged for moderators to look at to see if it needs removed). i've also thought about doing a catgory-less forums, have everything tag driven, and add in hashtags like twitter has, that can be searched for and what not, but it appeared IPS was going to be adding them in, but that doesn't appear to have happened yet. i've also thought about making a "chan" style addition to forums, where anonymity is the name of the game, and its made mostly for sharing images. i also like the threaded nature of say reddit and tumblr, thought about adding those into forums as well.

i've never really used gallery, I've always been fond of pinterest, but not sure how many others have been. blogs imho is a lost cause, its not a very interesting app to begin with. commerce i would be open to making changes to it, the one thing i've been wanting for a long time is front end submissions, paid submissions, and even actual digital downloads, as i use it on my site, and each of my downloads get linked to a product. it be nice to offer it directly in commerce instead of having downloads.

i've thought about generalizing questions and answers after i rework it (right now it works, but its kinda plain and has a few bugs in it), and the tab ordering, and the amazon style review additions i did in downloads plus and bring those features to the other apps that use them. as long as they use the node/item/comment/review class's, i could introduce those features to 'em.

if you have any suggestions for other "plus" apps, i am always considering new apps.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some additional ideas for "Commerce Plus":

- Ability to use virtual currencies. Right now commerce is tied only with real life currencies, which is an inconvenience for everyone that use one of the Point systems and want to be able to use Commerce for users to pay with points. 
- Splitting of payment methods per currency choice. Paypal can be good for one currency but very bad for another. 
- Ability to buy digital products (like upgrade subscriptions) for someone else - similar to reddit gold
- Ability to pay what you want for a digital product
- Personal store for the users - I know that classfields app does something similar.

I am sure there are plenty more, you can just take ideas from the Feedback forum here. In general Commerce is an app that looks like it was created only for the internal uses of IPS, added a few bells and whistles and released for everyone. But it is still miles away from the real e-commerce systems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi I have installed Babble Chat Service 2.4.6 and still got problems with userlist not working pluis the chat tab counter is not accurate

Also getting this error reported by users:-

Babble could not connect, try again later.

Edited by Unlucky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jair101 said:

- Ability to use virtual currencies. Right now commerce is tied only with real life currencies, which is an inconvenience for everyone that use one of the Point systems and want to be able to use Commerce for users to pay with points. 


this might be better done by the point system that you use, instead of me trying to make it work with all of 'em that are available on the market.

 

8 hours ago, jair101 said:

- Splitting of payment methods per currency choice. Paypal can be good for one currency but very bad for another. 

not sure i know what you mean here.

 

9 hours ago, jair101 said:

- Ability to buy digital products (like upgrade subscriptions) for someone else - similar to reddit gold
- Ability to pay what you want for a digital product
- Personal store for the users - I know that classfields app does something similar.

I like these ideas. as for the store, i would have to check it out better, but i'd prolly end up doing what i do with downloads plus stores, where they are "pseudo".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CodingJungle said:

this might be better done by the point system that you use, instead of me trying to make it work with all of 'em that are available on the market.

 

True. Point Systems by Kevin Carwile can do that, but it is a patch work, I was hoping for a deeper integration. Maybe the virtual currency you create can be independent and other point apps can adapt to it. Just throwing it out there. 

1 hour ago, CodingJungle said:

not sure i know what you mean here.

 

I will copy paste from the suggestion I made about this with example:

"I believe it will be useful if there is a selector in payment methods for which currency this method should be applicable. There is a valid reason that you may want to prevent customers from using certain payment method even if the currency is accepted by the gateway. 

Here is an example. Paypal accepts both USD and EURO, but with very high fees. My local gateway accepts only EURO, but at lower fee. I want to limit Paypal to USD and my gateway to EURO, so I am not forced to pay higher fee when the customer selects Paypal for EURO purchase. This way I can even include the fees in the pricing, for example the USD price will be higher as I will be forced to use Paypal. 

Basically I want to steer my customers to the payment method that is cheapest for me and consequently for them. "

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

still the issue with not all members in chatroom showing / disappearing

userlist tab is not showing correct number of users in chatroom

same problems as before since last few upgrades

only feeding back members feedback

have them clear there browser caches, i will see if there is any way i can reproduce it. also make sure to inform them that anonymously logged in members will not appear in the counts or in the online list, that is essentially how the rest of IPS works with that option enabled when they log in, so i don't see me making an exception, cause i would get complaints that it shows them instead of them not being shown. also if you have a babble widget using that room with the members list disabled, they will be added to the counts (which is a bug) but not show up in the online list if the online list is disabled on the widget.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well for an example i can see myself a moment ago

there are 3 people in the chatroom when i checked but the chatroom count showed 1

and none of them were logging in as anon

this app really worked perfectly several revisions ago and it has been terrible recently

our chatroom has gone from about 20-30 regulars to nearly dead now

I don't have the time to sit in and keep watching every change as have other sites to work on but something is definately very wrong with the recent updates of this babble app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

I don't have the time to sit in and keep watching every change as have other sites to work on but something is definately very wrong with the recent updates of this babble app

to be frank, this sounds like something is restarting the babble app in nodejs on the server. most of the recent versions since 2.4.0 have all been to address problems you have reported, the original "problem" that you ran into with 2.4.0 was a change that was made to fix a "ghosting" issue. before the online list was stored on both the user side and in babble.js, but storing it on the user side and then just "updating" it only on the client side when new user joined and removing "dead" ones, was causing the ghosting. so now the list is stored and updated only in the babble.js, then sent to the clients each time a new person comes in or logs off. connected clients also periodically send a "heart beat" to babble.js to let it know that the user is still connected, this will also cause to send out new list every once in awhile too. 

today i installed 5 browsers onto my two laptops, desktop and the kids desktop and grabbed every available tablet in my house (which there are 7) and logged into each with a different user. so i had 27 people logged in. i let them set for about  3 1/2 to 4 hours, i would  let them go idle and every 10 or 20 minutes i would go around to all them clicking the idle message to return to the chat. some i even setup to refresh the page every 5 or 10 minutes, to duplicate exiting and entering. so i spent a great deal of time today attempting to duplicate any possible issue, across a myriad of devices and OS's (my two laptops run ubuntu linux, my desktop and the kids computer were windows 10 and 5 of the tablets are fireOS, 1 is android 7.1.1 and the last is iOS 10.3.3). 

I will send out a mass email from my site here in a bit, to ask any one with a self hosted package that purchased there to let me know if they are having any issues with the online list with these latest updates. i also ask any who have purchase here, to either post here or send me PM to let me know if you are having any issues with the online list, cause right now i'm dead in the water with what could be happening as i am a 100% certain i can not reproduce this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether to go with the hosted service or self-hosted version of Babble.

Can you point me in the direction of advantages vs disadvantages of one over the other?

Is the hosted typically more stable?

Thanks for your help.  

Edited by Stormlilly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2017 at 8:22 AM, Stormlilly said:

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether to go with the hosted service or self-hosted version of Babble.

Can you point me in the direction of advantages vs disadvantages of one over the other?

Is the hosted typically more stable?

Thanks for your help.  

i've recently merged their two codebases, so they are relatively the "same" when it comes to what is under the hood. the chat service version communicates a bit differently (as it has an additional check to make sure the connected users belong to a site that is authorized to use the chat service).

Advantages of Self Hosted over the chat service:

  • no limit on how many users can be connected, this will be limited by how many your server could handle.
  • continues to function if you let your renewal expire (unless there is something in IPS that breaks it on an upgrade).

Disadvantages of Self Hosted over the chat service:

  • limited support (as i will only address issues that are directly caused by the PHP app and in babble.js, any issues stemming from node.js/server configuration i don't cover).
  • no port blocking. a lot of public/work networks will block any ports outside of 80/443. the chat service uses SSL URL so port 443 is used by default.

for me the chat service is more ideal, as the self hosted just this year alone has racked up about 250 hours in support, but the chat service (counting its testing period from november of last year) has roughly been 15 hours. the biggest support issue with the chat services seems to be the keys don't want to always activate (not sure what is causing it, as it is a nexus license key api i'm using), but this has only happened to 3 of the people who have subscribed to it, and i can always manual activate in that instance. There is also the upto 2 hour wait time after activation or private key update, that some have complained about (after activation or private key update, which rarely happens, it can take up to 2 hours before the chat service registers your license key).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2017 at 12:43 AM, CodingJungle said:

will send out a mass email from my site here in a bit, to ask any one with a self hosted package that purchased there to let me know if they are having any issues with the online list with these latest updates. i also ask any who have purchase here, to either post here or send me PM to let me know if you are having any issues with the online list, cause right now i'm dead in the water with what could be happening as i am a 100% certain i can not reproduce this. 

Hi,

Have you had any feedback

This is how my chat moderator who spends a lot of time in the room explains it.

"Hi Been following the room over the weekend and it looks like there is still a problem with the list showing chatters in the room, many still dont appear when they enter, its 100% better than before but not right, the odd chatter has said his been booted out but nothing like before. The chatters in the room counter is definitely up the creek showing 3 or 4 when 10 are in"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, CodingJungle said:

have them clear there browser caches, i will see if there is any way i can reproduce it. also make sure to inform them that anonymously logged in members will not appear in the counts or in the online list, that is essentially how the rest of IPS works with that option enabled when they log in, so i don't see me making an exception, cause i would get complaints that it shows them instead of them not being shown. also if you have a babble widget using that room with the members list disabled, they will be added to the counts (which is a bug) but not show up in the online list if the online list is disabled on the widget.

Hi just to add I did ask this info to clear browser cache

Also we don't have any widget installed - just the chatroom

And it's the same people complaining that used to use it without issues.

We hardly have anyone log in anon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2017 at 8:03 PM, Unlucky said:

still the issue with not all members in chatroom showing / disappearing

userlist tab is not showing correct number of users in chatroom

same problems as before since last few upgrades

only feeding back members feedback

I can partly confirm the report above. 

The numbers of users shown are correct both in menu and in the list. At the moment it displays 8 on top, 8 in the sidebar, and there is 8 usericons. But some users are not shown. They are typing in the chat, but they are not visible. They are not "hidden users".

Another problem some users reports is that they are thrown out of the chat. Could not connect to node... I have updated the IPS software with final patch, and users are deleting cache..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, superj707 said:

Big problem. My sellers are very upset. Turns out that with current downloads plus those who purchase cannot leave a review. Can you help? @CodingJungle

I am not showing any issues with reviews and downloads plus, did you mean something else?

12 hours ago, Unlucky said:

Hi,

Have you had any feedback

This is how my chat moderator who spends a lot of time in the room explains it.

"Hi Been following the room over the weekend and it looks like there is still a problem with the list showing chatters in the room, many still dont appear when they enter, its 100% better than before but not right, the odd chatter has said his been booted out but nothing like before. The chatters in the room counter is definitely up the creek showing 3 or 4 when 10 are in"

 

only one feedback from the email i sent out, and that was more about a theme issue and where the count badge appears, nothing directly to do with the online list.

 

11 hours ago, Unlucky said:

Hi just to add I did ask this info to clear browser cache

Also we don't have any widget installed - just the chatroom

And it's the same people complaining that used to use it without issues.

We hardly have anyone log in anon

 

1 hour ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I can partly confirm the report above. 

The numbers of users shown are correct both in menu and in the list. At the moment it displays 8 on top, 8 in the sidebar, and there is 8 usericons. But some users are not shown. They are typing in the chat, but they are not visible. They are not "hidden users".

Another problem some users reports is that they are thrown out of the chat. Could not connect to node... I have updated the IPS software with final patch, and users are deleting cache..

I'll go over it again, to see if i can find any possible reason why, as i mentioned before i had 27 users connected to it over a course of 3 or 4 hours and was not able to reproduce. (i used the chat service for this, i'll do it locally this time).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Rhett locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...