CodingJungle's Apps [support topic]

Another error when I tried to 'PM All' from ModeratorCP

OutOfRangeException:  (0)
#0 /home/nginx/domains/adonismale.com/public/applications/cjdml/sources/Actions/Actions.php(131): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord::load('83')
#1 [internal function]: IPS\cjdml\extensions\core\ModCp\_duplicates->pm()
#2 /home/nginx/domains/mycommunity.com/public/applications/core/modules/front/modcp/modcp.php(104): call_user_func(Array)
#3 /home/nginx/domains/mycommunity.com/public/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\core\modules\front\modcp\_modcp->manage()
#4 /home/nginx/domains/mycommunity.com/public/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#5 /home/nginx/domains/mycommunity.com/public/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#6 {main}

• 2 weeks later...

A (what I think is a) great suggestion for Keywords Tooltips:

Could you please pretty please make a Colour-Coded Categories option for Keywords?  For example, I use keywords right now to highlight rhetorical techniques and literary devices (anaphora, metaphor, analogy etc).  But while I only want a certain group or groups to be able to see these, I'd also like a different category (for, say, philosophy terms or literary works or authors) which might be available to different groups, or to everyone.

So instead of customising the one keyword CSS class (which I've done), the ability to specify custom CSS code for each category would take Keywords to the next level.

Ohh, yeah. ?

3 hours ago, CavySpirit said:

I'm extremely confused about Menu Groups Manager. Where do you actually put what the menu is supposed to do??

can you be a bit more specific? if you are talking about a groups settings, go to the group, and you will see a button that says "manage group", click on this and choose "edit" to edit the various options for a group. you can then select where to position it, there are several predefined locations to place a group.

3 hours ago, SJ77 said:

I thought you had a way to get rid of "VERSION" in downloads using downloads plus?

Version is back. Did something change?

not that i am aware, but i will check to see what they have done to give me a headache ? 

Do you by any chance have a test site or demo of Menu Groups Manager so I can see it in action and get a sense of how menus can be organised?  Some of the app description doesn't really make sense to me so I suspect that seeing it in action would help me a lot.

Never mind - got to your website and MGM looks pretty sexy. ?

Edited by liquidfractal
On 8/3/2018 at 12:40 PM, CavySpirit said:

I'm extremely confused about Menu Groups Manager. Where do you actually put what the menu is supposed to do??

This is a situation where an app becomes second nature to the developer and those very familiar with it but newbies don't have that background and experience. I just bought MGM as well and, having used IPB since 2007 and spent all morning on this, still can't get a good grip on how to use this application. There are a whole lot of assumptions that somebody walking in new will know what to do with this.

What actually are "groups"? Pretty simple, basic concept. I'm still not sure I know. I think "menu" could be substituted pretty easily. Maybe it's a developer/coder thing.

There's a choice of "bar or block" type of menu. What's the difference? Dunno. Where's the help file or tutorial video?

Choose from "drawer, URL, applications, wrapper and magic block" types. OK, I get URL and applications, but have no clue what drawer, wrapper and magic blocks are.

I went back and took a look at the original CJ Menu screenshots and gleaned some smarts from there, and made use of the preview function when fooling around with the MGM app -- although it appears as if the "group"/menu has to be live in order for the preview to work. That's kind of odd. I first chose a footer location to sort of "hide" the test menu/group, then realized I could set permissions so only admins can view it while under development.

Finally, the statement, "MGM will attempt to remove the IPS default menu navigation, this isn't always a guarantee ..." kind of scares me. Does this mean the default navigation is gone, or just isn't visible but could be easily reversed?

So, don't feel like a dummy if you didn't understand this immediately. I sure didn't and haven't yet.

I found one of the testimonials for the original CJ Menu to be humorous. "This menu application is simply amazing. Up and running with zero configuration. In just a short amount of time, you can create powerful new menu structures..." Well, the original app might have been but this one sure isn't. 

The price has been reduced from $300 to $35, which is great, but I would have paid way more than $35 to have an in-place help file, FAQ or tutorial video. And in retrospect, I shouldn't have purchased it at all without a help feature. The time I've spent just today jerking around with MGM all but eliminated the difference in cost, right out of the gate.

10 hours ago, Peter L McCormick said:

What actually are "groups"? Pretty simple, basic concept. I'm still not sure I know. I think "menu" could be substituted pretty easily. Maybe it's a developer/coder thing.

I thought it was pretty self explanatory what a Menu Group would be. Its used in the same sense as Member Groups.

Choose from "drawer, URL, applications, wrapper and magic block" types. OK, I get URL and applications, but have no clue what drawer, wrapper and magic blocks are.

I had made a bunch of videos for CJ Menu when i launched it, but after 3 1/2 years, they only had a half dozen views. I had made one MGM that was like 30 minutes long, that went over into more detail what everything was, but it was reported that audio was corrupted in parts of it, so i took it down. I just haven't had the time to remake the video and there hasn't been any demand for it.

- although it appears as if the "group"/menu has to be live in order for the preview to work

it is probably a bug, i'll test it out and release an update.

Finally, the statement, "MGM will attempt to remove the IPS default menu navigation, this isn't always a guarantee ..." kind of scares me. Does this mean the default navigation is gone, or just isn't visible but could be easily reversed?

it doesn't alter anything on a permanent basis. if you were turn on the setting, it would attempt to remove the HTML associated with the default menu manager found in IPS from the theme at compile time, if you turned it off/disabled MGM or removed MGM your default navigation would return without any issue. (this description actually exist cause of my experiences from CJ Menu and ProMenu for 3.x. a lot of third party themes will change the class names for the css so the hook doesn't work, or will remove the default HTML for the menu, to replace it with something that they created or pulled off something like code canyon. it is why MGM doesn't attempt to replace the default menu like CJ Menu and ProMenu before it had done).

The price has been reduced from $300 to $35, which is great, but I would have paid way more than $35 to have an in-place help file, FAQ or tutorial video. And in retrospect, I shouldn't have purchased it at all without a help feature. The time I've spent just today jerking around with MGM all but eliminated the difference in cost, right out of the gate.

I will redo some of the tutorials videos this weekend for MGM. they can take a few hours to produce, so there isn't a whole lot of incentive to do them when they only get viewed a handful of times. but you are right, there are plenty of features and abilities of MGM (like CJ Menu) that need better explanation. My PM's are always open for questions and assistance if you have any questions or issues however.

FYI, the $300 price tag for CJ Menu is cause not everyone who bought CJ Menu has been transferred to MGM (many wont till CJ Menu stops working or has issues with new versions of IPS, considering i had a client just a few weeks back, who began noticing some style issues, was still running like cj menu version 2. i'm gonna say it might be awhile before a lot of purchasers of CJ Menu notice there is a new, replacement for it). so since i can't disable new purchases, and people still have access to the download to see the description, i set the price to a high value so there aren't any accidental purchases of the app (as it isn't actually supported any longer). 

so like if you have any question or need assistance with anything in MGM you can let me know here or send me a PM. I'll set some time aside to begin working on a new tutorial video on some of the more advanced features. 

On 8/9/2018 at 12:15 AM, CodingJungle said:

So like if you have any question or need assistance with anything in MGM you can let me know here or send me a PM. I'll set some time aside to begin working on a new tutorial video on some of the more advanced features. 

Thank you. I realize the time and hassle involved in making tutorial videos, and that you're probably mentally spent from getting the app to market. Perhaps a simple Help document with would suffice for the time being until a video can be produced.

I do have some questions which I will either post here or PM you.  For starters:

I have a bar-type "group" set up and in preview, when a "drawer" item is open and the sub/child-items are hovered over, that underscored item area expands to the right about half the width of the item and then returns. That seems odd to me.

Thanks.

Thanks @InsideEdge. I'm sure I can make something work; it's just the frustration of buying and opening a new app then having no clue how to use it that irks me a bit.

I see your menu at hockeyforums.net also shifts to the right when hovering. I wish there were a switch to turn that on/off. I find it distracting.

FWIW, I'm an old player and current big Bruins fan. Nice site.

Just now, Peter L McCormick said:

Thanks @InsideEdge. I'm sure I can make something work; it's just the frustration of buying and opening a new app then having no clue how to use it that irks me a bit.

I see your menu at hockeyforums.net also shifts to the right when hovering. I wish there were a switch to turn that on/off. I find it distracting.

FWIW, I'm an old player and current big Bruins fan. Nice site.

I understand and I Agree, I asked similar questions as you when I first started with it.  and there probably is a way to fix the menu shift I just haven't taken the time to figure it out or ask for help.   And thank you, the site is a hobby for me and you are welcomed to join in our conversation. 

I just purchased the Media mod/app and I am getting a very strange error. I installed it without issue. Members can still see the board and the site works fine. When I have this enabled the people in the owners/admins group get hosed. Once I activate the application, then go back into the site I get all white screens and even in the admin CP when I click on edit settings for the Media mod I get a white screen. I cannot access my site at all when this is on. People NOT in Admin/Owners group can access the site with this turned on. Any thoughts?

Edited by RLPVT
14 hours ago, RLPVT said:

Anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this? Cannot really use this right now.

sorry for the delay, i missed the notification in my email.

i think i've identified the problem and will release a update on wednesday or thursday (depends on how tomorrow goes ? )

On 7/8/2018 at 2:48 PM, Millipede said:

MGM

I recently bought this too :smile:

Whenever I open the block manager on the forum home page, I always get the following system error. It only happens on the main forum page, not on other pages.

It's on IPB 4.3.4 having recently been upgraded from 3.3.4. My system logs are filled with this error whilst I install stuff and test out blocks and widgets. Is this a bug in the app or have I got something wrong somewhere?

On 7/9/2018 at 12:09 AM, CodingJungle said:

seems to be a bug in MGM, i'll see what is causing it and release an update when i find it.

Any news on this please? My system logs are still being filled with these errors.

Also, the widget doesn't work, in that it doesn't show anywhere in the sidebar manager. I'm guessing that's because it's related to the system errors?

MGM

Sorry, I’ve got another possible problem...

I’ve got Themes > Edit> Custom > “Javascript include location” set to “Just before /body tag”.

However, despite this setting, GMetrix is giving me a poor F rating for “Defer parsing of JavaScript”. When I try to investigate why, I see in the source code that there’s this HTML immediately above the closing body tag and below all the javascript:

<div class="cjmg_container"></div>

Might there be a way to fix this please?

On 8/22/2018 at 12:19 AM, CodingJungle said:

sorry for the delay, i missed the notification in my email.

i think i've identified the problem and will release a update on wednesday or thursday (depends on how tomorrow goes ? )

Did you mean Thursday of last week or this week? I am just curious so I can get this working.

Thanks

12 hours ago, RLPVT said:

Not to be a pain but I haven't been able to use this mod since I purchased it. Can I at least get an expected time frame for next release? I think almost two weeks since purchase is a fair amount of time

On 8/25/2018 at 9:55 AM, Millipede said:

Any news on this please? My system logs are still being filled with these errors.

Also, the widget doesn't work, in that it doesn't show anywhere in the sidebar manager. I'm guessing that's because it's related to the system errors?

sorry guys, been asleep at the wheel, but i've put out updated versions of both these apps. let me know if they fix you issues.

On 8/27/2018 at 12:24 PM, Millipede said:

MGM

Sorry, I’ve got another possible problem...

I’ve got Themes > Edit> Custom > “Javascript include location” set to “Just before /body tag”.

However, despite this setting, GMetrix is giving me a poor F rating for “Defer parsing of JavaScript”. When I try to investigate why, I see in the source code that there’s this HTML immediately above the closing body tag and below all the javascript:

<div class="cjmg_container"></div>

Might there be a way to fix this please?

i'll check this out, they should be right after the body tag and before the close body tag. might need to check out the theme hook config for them, make sure they didn't accidentally get moved or changed.

10 hours ago, CodingJungle said:

let me know if they fix you issues.

MGM V.1.0.4

Well, that was a bit of a disaster, I’m afraid...

The good news is that the MGM errors are gone.

The bad news is that the widget blanked the forum.

I tested the widget: it was blank, with just one word: “Error”, and it had no close button. When I closed the sidebar block manager, the forum went blank with an empty white page. Clearing caches didn’t help.

If I disabled the app, the forum came back (albeit with the primary menu).

System Logs showed:

ErrorException: Method IPS\cjmg\widgets\cjmg::__toString() must return a string value (4096)
#0 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/applications/core/modules/front/system/widgets.php(150): IPS\IPS::errorHandler(4096, 'Method IPS\\cjmg...', '/home/mydomain/...', 150, Array)
#1 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\core\modules\front\system\_widgets->getBlock()
#2 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/applications/core/modules/front/system/widgets.php(38): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#3 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\core\modules\front\system\_widgets->execute()
#4 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#5 {main}

Backtrace
#0 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/init.php(537): IPS\_Log::log('ErrorException:...', 'uncaught_except...')
#1 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler(Object(ErrorException))
#2 {main}

The error_log in the root of the forum showed:

PHP Fatal error:  Class 'Error' not found in /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php on line 62

The error_log in the /admin directory showed:

PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '?' in /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/applications/cjmg/sources/Form/Form.php on line 16

As I couldn’t get the forum back without a blank white page as well as use MGM, and I don’t have time to remove v.1.0.4 and re-install v.1.0.3 and restart the whole menu from scratch, I restored the forum from a backup with v.1.0.3 instead as it was quicker.

Luckily, this was on my test forum.

19 hours ago, Millipede said:

MGM V.1.0.4

Well, that was a bit of a disaster, I’m afraid...

The good news is that the MGM errors are gone.

The bad news is that the widget blanked the forum.

I tested the widget: it was blank, with just one word: “Error”, and it had no close button. When I closed the sidebar block manager, the forum went blank with an empty white page. Clearing caches didn’t help.

If I disabled the app, the forum came back (albeit with the primary menu).

System Logs showed:

ErrorException: Method IPS\cjmg\widgets\cjmg::__toString() must return a string value (4096)
#0 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/applications/core/modules/front/system/widgets.php(150): IPS\IPS::errorHandler(4096, 'Method IPS\\cjmg...', '/home/mydomain/...', 150, Array)
#1 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\core\modules\front\system\_widgets->getBlock()
#2 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/applications/core/modules/front/system/widgets.php(38): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#3 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\core\modules\front\system\_widgets->execute()
#4 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#5 {main}

Backtrace
#0 /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/init.php(537): IPS\_Log::log('ErrorException:...', 'uncaught_except...')
#1 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler(Object(ErrorException))
#2 {main}

The error_log in the root of the forum showed:

The error_log in the /admin directory showed:

As I couldn’t get the forum back without a blank white page as well as use MGM, and I don’t have time to remove v.1.0.4 and re-install v.1.0.3 and restart the whole menu from scratch, I restored the forum from a backup with v.1.0.3 instead as it was quicker.

Luckily, this was on my test forum.

the error was caused by the selected menu group being empty, its been fixed and wont throw an error now.

I also moved the footer menu group placement to a place above where the JS is rendered to fix the other issue you had report.