It's working fine on 44 but some server environments are having a problem with the length of header information 44 is pushing out and some mods are putting it over the limit. 

Hit your support page in the acp,  something not working, and then apply the ips patch listed.

If it's still wonky pm me acp access and I can pop in and take a look

33 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

It's working fine on 44 but some server environments are having a problem with the length of header information 44 is pushing out and some mods are putting it over the limit. 

Hit your support page in the acp,  something not working, and then apply the ips patch listed.

If it's still wonky pm me acp access and I can pop in and take a look

Thanks I got it sorted once I made comment about it on my site, some members replied it was working for them. Cleared my browser cache and it works. Sorry for the hassle

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the delay. The storm that generated a few tornadoes 10 miles north of me Friday night after I posted the above did little to my domicile but the storm that rumbled through on Saturday morning did a number on power and cable service round these parts. Got internet back this afternoon.

Anyhoo...

Version 4 Released!

image.thumb.png.2c0c34cfa47f2bdcb8bb1bccf67625df.png

Had to rewrite this again so figured since I was in the thing might as well add a preview player in the ACP. App no longer uses core_members for storing Soundboard datas. No need for app's own Howler copy. Minor css change for the profile player. Also pulled out acc and mp4 formats as HTML5 player doesn't support those.

Lots of changes so yell if something borks.

4.4.5 B1 or higher pls. It maybe, probably, I guess???, works with 4.3.2+ but I wouldn't chance it - at least it will not be tested on such by me. Feel free if you are adventurous but if it fails and you have to revert there's no chance you user's sound files will be kept (and prob will be relic user sound files sitting around in your uploads folder or wherever.

• 3 months later...

Version 5 Released!

• For use with 4.4.5 Beta 1 and higher.
  • Fix for bug where Soundboard would overwrite the entire profile page when user moves from profile to activity and then back to profile view when on a profile page. Not sure when this popped up but fixed now.
  • Abstracted the profile page sound player block from simple hook to full template to let you format, add, subtract as needed. 
  • Minor code improvements.
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Pretty sure this is fine as is,  but it will be a bit before it shows in the  acp marketplace.  I've been trickleling things in as i can but even then there is still a days long delay before things are approved.  I have three or four still pending...

I'll take a look post-morning run and throw it at them.  Don't forget it's the weekend plus a holiday day on Monday so it probably won't be until next week some time before it will show in the acp

Edited by All Astronauts
  • 2 weeks later...

4.5 submitted. No real changes other than a few code tweaks. In the Marketplace when it's there. 

The usual caveats about your browser being a dick and so on. I HAVE tested again to verify its all working, back and forth messages between a Chrome user with a custom sound and a FireFox user with no custom sound but pulling a custom community default sound. The first message to the FF user didn't play the sound but the second (and onward...) did and I can only assume the diabolical innards of the whole web notifications process are still roaming the Earth freely. I can't fix things if your browser decides to not play audio due to ajax timeouts and so on.

Which is to say, the ancient Sound Board note about this only swaps around the audio files and has absolutely nothing to do with the when, where, or hows of notifications being generated or what your browser does with them still apply.

Any one interested in a giant page (paginated table) with every custom notification sound on it? I'd probably add a field for users to add a Twitter length description of the sound as well. So few people recognize the opening strains of Galaga these days...

Note: description will be updated post-acceptance. Devs can still update the description while the file is pending but people just download anyways when they see it "updated" and that's not helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

7.0.0 submitted February 10th, 2020 10pm central USA time

• NEW! Option to append HTML5 audio player to ALL file attachments in commenting areas that are of MP3, FLAC, OGG, or WAV formats!

Naturally, approved when it's approved.

Audio player feature is solid and has been needed forever and ever which means of course it will probably be a native function in 4.6 or something. Anyways, I'm having a blast with it and so are my users. There are a lot of possibilities here as well down the line; the more I add, the more the price creeps up. If you are on the side lines, get in while you can.

ffplayer.PNG.5158962b4b13f9e7a75393adf1edf243.PNG

That's a guest view on Firefox when guests CANNOT download attachments in the forum. They can PLAY the file, but since they are guests and do not have the forum permissions to dl attachments, it's listed as unavailable and will give an error redirect when they try to dl it. I note this as enterprising users could just pull up the page code and find the link to the file which the HTML5 audio player uses to play. I doubt this is all that big of a deal to most people but worth noting.

Already moving onward... Ignore the mis-match between file and metadata, testing formatting.

better3.PNG.ac109a2967c7ee1dfb6bcd29b37c4253.PNG

Thinking when you hit that new area maybe popup the full whatever-is-there metadata? Thoughts? Area will be formattable of course.

Also, was not kidding about some browsers being very picky about file integrity.

both.thumb.png.cad8a1530232fef9064e8cb55959e291.png

Chrome, on the right, played that fine. Firefox, on the left, did nothing. I threw the file at MP3Val (open source desktop MP3 file checker) and there was a single CRC error somewhere in the audio stream. Chrome did not care. Firefox did. That tool allows you to patch and save the file automatically, done and done, re-uploaded and both browsers played the file just fine.

Wild. What would this be actually for beyond novelty?

FYI, I'll be pushing the next release out probably today, will have the auto-gen title, artists, album bits on it - works for MP3 and FLACS that have tags of some sort.

Also did some preliminary work on popups from those above mentioned details. Just pushing out more of the tags available is weak sauce. This won't happen immediately but I'm thinking no one will complain if this gets integrated with the Discogs API. You can probably imagine what the pop-ups will look like now.

Edited by All Astronauts
  • 3 months later...

And here we are with 4.6. Y'all read the change log at all? There is something of some interest in there that affects Sound Board.

Namely, notification sounds (for the old ones Sound Board is for, the ones you get while you are on-site and they float up from the bottom of the page) are out. So... Yep. I shall miss them on my sites. Hearing the Gauntlet key pickup sound, or Galaga bonus stage start, let me know stuff was going on on sites of either my doing or frequenting. Alas...

Now, could I lobotomize myself and re-insert it this sound making stuff? Probably. The JS library is still there in the IPS software. Are devs allowed to re-enabled/recreate features explicitly removed by IPS in our Marketplace items? No. Once they pull something (feature, code, - ftp file storage for example), we are not allowed to stick it back in. Even if it were allowed I'm not really feeling it. Why fight it?

Now, with the new fancy browser notifications going on in 4.6, you're thinking - hey, why not those? And you would be right! In fact, those rich browser notifications are already spec'd out with audio classes, all ready to go.

Have ANY of the browsers enabled support for that stuff? lol...

So, *eventually* you'll get those notification sounds back. Maybe. One day...

So this thing. For one, its fine with 4.6, upgrade your site with no worries. Your users will just have a little happy sound thing on their profile pages. On the plus side though, me no longer waiting for audio attachment players to show up natively means you got that with Sound Board, and going forward that will be the emphasis (until IPS does include it natively in which case that will be that, pour another one out, etc.). Maybe I turn this into the music player/downloader/album browser of my/your dreams? Wouldn't take that much..., aside from the API grind with the various services.

Anyways, that's where this is at. Its fine as-is for upgrading. I'll get around to a "formal" 4.6 version later, but right now, the 4.6 upgrade backlog is rather long.

@kmk on an entirely different note, I wrapped up a somewhat involved custom involving more or less your junk. Browser record audio, stored in Invision Community, and then voice-to-text extracted by various API cloud services, etc. So maybe? Though right now that code, albeit bulletproof, is a grim wasteland of suckitude I don't want to look at for while, though I will have to anyways to clean up (yes...), and add in new features. When I hit that again, I will remember your request - and probably shudder - but  yes, take a look at what I can do. Still might be better as a separate thing though.

EDIT: FYI I've been AWOL for a month or two now for reasons, I gotta backlog of comms, if you are in them it might still be a bit before I get back to you.

Edited by All Astronauts
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I don't quite understand what you said above I'm afraid. Are you saying that the plug-in is not compatible with the new version 4.6? It's not working for our site.

It's a wonderful little plug-in. I'm amazed Invision hasn't included it natively. If they are trying to get lots of people to adopt their platform for forums then it stands to reason that there will be lots of different tabs open with different Invision forums. So it seems to me to be screamingly obvious that you should be able to configure notification sounds so you know which forum is notifying you.

Invision don't seem to have thought about this – that you have. Bravo.

How can I get it working again please?

Thanks