Inconsistent theme HTML

ehren.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Michael R said:

It is terrible. Please address this in 4.3!

I wouldn't count on it.  Such a massive issue would have been mentioned by now for 4.3.

It's caused me to move away from certain third-party themes, not because of flaws on their part  but because IPS seems unwilling to address what is by all accounts a critical flaw in their coding from a cosmetic point of view.  This seems to be one of those instances where IPS's non-commitment to fixing an issue is costing third-party developers money.

15 hours ago, hjmaier said:

When I look at the history of this threat, I feel left alone as a customer. 

On the plus side, I see this happen very rarely.  But there were those at IPS who said they would look at this as a priority issue, and while I understand they can't do everything at once a certain amount of responses or "hey, we're on it - no ETA, but we're working on it!" on such a crucial issue would be preferred.

Yep, I agree. They deserve a pat on the back for the changes they've made in 4.3 based on feedback but this case is a glaring counter example. The change they made earlier unintentionally has a drastic effect on many customers and, by extension, theme providers. It seems pretty obvious to me that the appropriate thing to do is fix it and that continuing to ignore polite requests to do so really doesn't cast them in a favourable light.

Alternatively, if the approach is going to be that templates won't have ipsBox in them if the default theme doesn't need it, then they need to come out and say it.

*Holds fingers crossed that it's fixed in 4.3 and a blog entry appears soon*

13 hours ago, Meddysong said:

Yep, I agree. They deserve a pat on the back for the changes they've made in 4.3 based on feedback but this case is a glaring counter example. The change they made earlier unintentionally has a drastic effect on many customers and, by extension, theme providers. It seems pretty obvious to me that the appropriate thing to do is fix it and that continuing to ignore polite requests to do so really doesn't cast them in a favourable light.

Alternatively, if the approach is going to be that templates won't have ipsBox in them if the default theme doesn't need it, then they need to come out and say it.

*Holds fingers crossed that it's fixed in 4.3 and a blog entry appears soon*

And you know, even though in general I think IPS support is great, that's the thing when you have a large third-party developer community - you are responsible to them, because after all they are making money while helping you make money by 1) showing how popular the suite is, and 2) extending functionality (some of which should arguably be in the core package) so that you can go on with other innovations.  It's a symbiosis which should never be ignored.

I don't want to harp on this forever, but here's hoping that the renewed conversation in this thread will grab someone's attention. :)

I've fixed all the areas noted in this topic, as well as others I found. It's implemented with a new classname that is empty by default, but if you need styling for it, you can add them in custom.css.

That said, putting a background color on #ipsLayout_body (with some opacity if you want the background to be somewhat visible) is a substantially better way of handling this, rather than having boxes floating over a heavy background image. I can't guarantee we'll continue to use the individual boxed design approach in future (major) releases.

2 hours ago, Rikki said:

I can't guarantee we'll continue to use the individual boxed design approach in future (major) releases.

IPS certainly doesn't need to use a boxed design (just keep the classes blank in the css), but having the HTML structure for sites which require boxed layouts is a necessity. A major competitor does that with their software and when it comes to creating forum themes, it's potentially the best on the market.

IPS Suite has advantages with a large feature list and official addons, but the theme system is slowly starting to fall behind, and limiting the HTML in future major updates certainly wouldn't help that. I understand that's potentially years away, but figured I'd add my two cents regardless.

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 8:32 AM, Rikki said:

I've fixed all the areas noted in this topic, as well as others I found. It's implemented with a new classname that is empty by default, but if you need styling for it, you can add them in custom.css.

That said, putting a background color on #ipsLayout_body (with some opacity if you want the background to be somewhat visible) is a substantially better way of handling this, rather than having boxes floating over a heavy background image.

Thanks for addressing this @Rikki.   Could you provide a brief code example of how one might do this in a theme's custom.css?

On 4/24/2018 at 7:58 AM, liquidfractal said:

Could you provide a brief code example of how one might do this in a theme's custom.css?

.ipsBox_alt{
	background-color: {hextorgb="area_background_reset" opacity="1"};
	border: 1px solid #e0e0e0;
	box-shadow: 0px 1px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.1);
	border-radius: 3px;
	padding: 15px;
}

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I see this problem when you have a site with multiple calendars, when you go to add an event and choose which Calendar....

20709F22-6032-420D-93D0-4CE1E07206FF.thumb.png.44c2732b383f0f401cb22a7d586db386.png

Do you have a timescale for getting these fixed, there is definitely more of them but I haven’t been keeping note!

I’ll add them here as and when I find them again.

9 hours ago, Simon Culshaw said:

I see this problem when you have a site with multiple calendars, when you go to add an event and choose which Calendar....

20709F22-6032-420D-93D0-4CE1E07206FF.thumb.png.44c2732b383f0f401cb22a7d586db386.png

Do you have a timescale for getting these fixed, there is definitely more of them but I haven’t been keeping note!

I’ll add them here as and when I find them again.

This should be opening in a modal and not a new screen. This particular screen is a fallback for if javascript isn't enabled or there was a problem opening the modal. You may want to investigate the theme and verify if this happens on the default theme on your site.

3 hours ago, Jennifer M said:

This should be opening in a modal and not a new screen. This particular screen is a fallback for if javascript isn't enabled or there was a problem opening the modal. You may want to investigate the theme and verify if this happens on the default theme on your site.

Yes, it does open as a modal normally however our members want a direct link to the page where you can add an event hence seeing this page

Is there an alternate link we can provide to the page with the modal already open? - Thanks

8 hours ago, Jennifer M said:

This particular screen is a fallback for if javascript isn't enabled or there was a problem opening the modal.

Actually this kind of screens opens not only in those cases, but also than user opens link in new tab (with middle mouse button or context menu), so those screens are used much more often than just as fallback.

I've discussed this with my users and a lot of them confirmed that they often prefer to open a lot of pages and forms in new tabs and this is more convenient way for them than modal windows. So it would be nice to keep a good look even on this "fallback" pages for those who prefer this way.

5 hours ago, Simon Culshaw said:

Yes, it does open as a modal normally however our members want a direct link to the page where you can add an event hence seeing this page

Is there an alternate link we can provide to the page with the modal already open? - Thanks

You can direct link to the individual upload form and bypass that screen altogether if that's what you're looking for.

31 minutes ago, Mr 13 said:

Actually this kind of screens opens not only in those cases, but also than user opens link in new tab (with middle mouse button or context menu), so those screens are used much more often than just as fallback.

I've discussed this with my users and a lot of them confirmed that they often prefer to open a lot of pages and forms in new tabs and this is more convenient way for them than modal windows. So it would be nice to keep a good look even on this "fallback" pages for those who prefer this way.

As I stated its not intended to be on the page by itself. I'll see if there is anything specific that can be done for such pages without affecting the modals, which would be the concern here. You can always modify the CSS yourself to make changes to those category form selection pages too.

12 hours ago, Jennifer M said:

its not intended to be on the page by itself.

But this is the way how people use it. So we should look not only from perspective "how it was intended initially" but also take into consideration actual behavior of users, how they use it in fact.

12 hours ago, Jennifer M said:

I'll see if there is anything specific that can be done for such pages without affecting the modals

Thank you, that's what we waited for  :happy:

Archived