Clubs Suggestions

JoshB84

Why clubs has no category view on the home page seems a bit of an oversight in my opinion. I also find the club homepage far too bulky if you were to have a lot of clubs.

I have been playing around to use a custom page, to act as a club home page for the time being. To do it I set a custom setting within clubs for league selection (my site is about football clubs) and from there created a custom block with my own code to list them.

It does what I want it to do, as in act like a forum listing, but link to clubs rather than the way the clubs home page looks. As I am going to have over 90+ clubs, and that would be horrible using the clubs homepage.

clubscatergory.thumb.png.fb33639ab32d43ff0b94f7b9789703db.png

4 hours ago, Luis_angel said:

Maybe be able to post articles too, not just blogs

It will come one day. IPS staff have explained in the past that Pages is a very different beast to the other core apps and so integrating it and Clubs is a heavy engineering job, but it's something which will come later.

On 01/08/2017 at 8:55 AM, JoshB84 said:
  1. Clubs should have categories on the directory page
  2. In the actual Clubs when viewing forums. There should be categories->forums->sub forums.
  3. A block to list the Clubs directory under the forum.

These are all really good suggestions!

Clubs are great. My few suggestions for clubs:

• Ability for club owner to disband club
  • Ability for club owner to change owner of club
  • List of clubs in condensed view (as others mentioned)
  • Club owner can change the type of club (public, private etc)
  • Club homepage should default to whatever owner wants, instead of the activity stream. e.g club home page goes straight to forum view

Basically the club owner needs more permissions once the club is created. I've already installed "Club Enhancements" which gives most of these features, but they probably should be baked in.

2 hours ago, xrpchat_karlos said:

These are all really good suggestions!

Clubs are great. My few suggestions for clubs:

• Ability for club leader to disband club
  • Ability for club leader to change owner of club
  • List of clubs in condensed view (as others mentioned)
  • Club owner can change the type of club (public, private etc)
  • Club homepage should default to whatever owner wants, instead of the activity stream. e.g club home page goes straight to forum view

Basically the club leader needs more owner permissions once the club is created. I've already installed "Club Enhancements" which gives most of these features, but they probably should be baked in.

Why would a club leader have the permission to change the owner. Isn't that like saying the supervisor should be able to change the manager? Same goes for disbanding, only the club owner should have that power IMO. If you want the person who is club leader to have those powers, just make them the owner.

I as site owner, may create default clubs. I set a user up as leader so he can manage the club fully for me, however I don't want him to be able to remove me as owner, or to be able to disband the club.

The rest I agree with :)

1 hour ago, dean84 said:

Why would a club leader have the permission to change the owner. Isn't that like saying the supervisor should be able to change the manager? Same goes for disbanding, only the club owner should have that power IMO. If you want the person who is club leader to have those powers, just make them the owner.

I as site owner, may create default clubs. I set a user up as leader so he can manage the club fully for me, however I don't want him to be able to remove me as owner, or to be able to disband the club.

The rest I agree with :)

You're right, I meant club owner, not leader. Fixed the post!

The issues/challenges we are seeing with using Clubs are similar to those posted above. Our wish list includes... 

• The ability to categorise clubs so that clubs can be filtered. We are trying to use clubs to serve the requirements in several different distinct communities and it is very messy having them all appearing mixed together.
  • The ability to change the size of the clubs in the club list. At the moment they are way too big. Maybe as suggested above a "list" option is added.
  • Having the ability to show the above categories either as a filter list or as tabs along the top of where the clubs are displayed

59845afb66d2a_ClubsTabs.jpeg.511b52c7852475d4d27329b186256a94.jpeg

• Ability to put some descriptive text in the Clubs main page to explain what clubs are for.
  • The ability to re-order Topics once they have been added to a club
  • The ability for club owners to set the type of club - public private etc.

Thanks

Wade

3 minutes ago, Wade Nash said:
  • Ability to put some descriptive text in the Clubs main page to explain what clubs are for.
  • The ability to re-order Topics once they have been added to a club
  • The ability for club owners to set the type of club - public private etc.

Those 3 are available in this plugin, if you don't want to wait for IPS to implement them.

how come you cant do anything in the club all you can do is make a group but i see you cant post anything with inside the club witch makes no seances but i do see that you can add a topic with in the admin section witch i see is pointless to create a club so if your members want to create a club of there own they would not be allowed to ad any topics to it witch i think this is missing in here....or maybe im missing something

On 8/3/2017 at 5:06 PM, Meddysong said:

but it's something which will come later.

@Meddysong did they actually confirm that this was in the works at some point?

9 hours ago, sweethoney said:

how come you cant do anything in the club all you can do is make a group but i see you cant post anything with inside the club witch makes no seances but i do see that you can add a topic with in the admin section witch i see is pointless to create a club so if your members want to create a club of there own they would not be allowed to ad any topics to it witch i think this is missing in here....or maybe im missing something

Did you check your member group settings in the adminCP?  Clubs options are there, under the Social tab.

+ suggestions:

• ability to move forums tabs to "archive" (in front side for owners)
  • ability to re-arrange club tabs (now we can't do this from anywhere)
  • special permissions for each forum tabs (read/write for members, guests, non-members)
  • API (we will use clubs like a 'clans' system for online game. so this 'clubs' must created by special api calls and club members must adds/remove from that api too)

Thx

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 3:37 AM, InsideEdge said:

I'd like to be able to have permissions settings for Clubs as they are for forums

I would enjoy some additional granularity with club permissions. I did immediately meet the desire to have group-level permissions.

On of my sites is itself a club site but with a public-facing side. Renaming Clubs as Groups made sense for that and allowed the use of "clubs" for committees and internal activities. The public/open/closed/private options work well.

It would be useful to have public-facing clubs available without giving them view into the other open groups (clubs) that are dedicated to internal affairs. 

Unless I am misconfiguring it, I seem to have the choice of allowing group access to clubs or not, but no granularity within the clubs themselves (other than the self-organizing types of clubs).

I am a bit leery of "over-featuring" clubs and turning them into a virtual replicated, nested community mirroring the functionality of the entire suite, though. So I understand that it might not be great to add every conceivable feature :p 

8 minutes ago, bradl said:

It would be useful to have public-facing clubs available without giving them view into the other open groups (clubs) that are dedicated to internal affairs. 

I'd like to have Open clubs for my site members, yet have a setting to be closed ( non-viewable) to guests.  Currently that option isn't available.  Most of the forums I'd like to turn to clubs are generally OT to the main forum set where guests are not able to view. 

I've not enabled Clubs yet, as I was hoping to add Commerce and paid subscriptions and use Clubs access and creation as an incentive. 

4 hours ago, hjmaier said:

- It should be possible to put Club Subforums somewhere in the forum structure. Maybe by club category.

Seems odd there is no option like a widget. I guess you could Heath Robinson/McGyver it by slipping in a redirect style sub-forum to your club so it would appear within a group of related forums. Or you could create a forum category and put a load of redirect style forums only but together to appear as a block of clubs, and name it and or add images accordingly.

12 hours ago, opentype said:

But there is one. It’s called “Clubs” and is available under “System”. 

Yes. But it just adds a block for all Clubs. 

I would like to put a single club into the forum structure, without using an external link. 

I forgot:

I would like to have a more detailed authorization for Clubs. Like hidden forums, where just moderators can post. 

Archived