Upload new version - IPS developers?

ehren.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while since it's a constant issue with my customers, but is the "Upload new version" (UNV) feature working correctly? Ever since 4.0.0, I've been inundated with random bug reports which have been caused by using the UNV feature. My standard reply is "Do a fresh installation of the theme instead of using the UNV feature and it'll work fine". The major issue with this is forum member's need to re-select the freshly installed theme since their choice is reverted to Default.

Put simply, can one of the IPS dev's please explain in laymen's terms how this feature works, and why it may potentially cause issues when actually being used? I imagine the intended result is that ALL HTML and css files (excluding custom.css) are replaced with the updated theme code, while also retaining all theme settings. But this certainly isn't the case. Am I missing something here, or is it a severely broken feature that has existed since day 1?

I never had any issues with this feature, %99 in all of my theme updates i ask to simply use "Upload a new version"

Only sometimes themes needs to be installed fresh when you delete theme settings or custom templates

Because If you delete a setting or a custom template they arent getting deleted on updates, and i hope they can do something about that, otherwise, It does the job

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:48 AM, ehren. said:

I imagine the intended result is that ALL HTML and css files (excluding custom.css) are replaced with the updated theme code

If you make changes to any HTML template or the css files (reason for custom.css) then that template/css file does not get updated so could cause issues when upgrading (but am sure you know that) ... perhaps your customers made changes to the templates and if so then they will have issues (or trying to install theme on different version of IPB)

Never (touch wood) had any problems with using UNV ... providing select the correct css file to use

• 2 weeks later...

I've never needed to use the Upload New Version feature since I upgrade all of mine manually, but customers continually mention issues when trying to use it. I can send a 4.1 theme and 4.2 theme to the Support staff so they can try it themselves if they wish?

10 hours ago, ehren. said:

I've never needed to use the Upload New Version feature since I upgrade all of mine manually, but customers continually mention issues when trying to use it. I can send a 4.1 theme and 4.2 theme to the Support staff so they can try it themselves if they wish?

If you can reproduce a problem upgrading it, then yes that would be great. :)

Happened to my forum.

Upgraded from 4.1.x to 4.2.2. and all went ok

Uploaded new version of my theme (created on test forum and all ok on there) and what a mess

Appears some css not there yet I selected the use new version of templates and css when asked

Support ticket submitted

• 9 months later...
On 8/11/2017 at 5:16 AM, bfarber said:

If you can reproduce a problem upgrading it, then yes that would be great. :)

i currently have this problem and will open a support request.

however, to summarize the issue:

- i uploaded a new version of the parent theme.
- at least one template in the child theme that has had NO modifications made in that child version failed to get updated/replaced with the new version from the parent theme.
- re-uploading the new version of the parent theme multiple times nor clearing the IPS cache fixes the issue.

the worst part is that i just happened to stumble upon one template with this issue after some features of the site broke during this "upload new version" scenario. however, i have no idea how many other templates might also be failing to inherit the new parent theme's changes! there doesn't seem to be any way to tell without comparing each template outside of IPS.

uploading the parent as a brand new theme and re-creating the child each time is not a viable workaround as it takes a long time to re-configure all of the child theme's settings, and it's easy to miss a setting.

this issue needs to be fixed and then i'd also really like to see better modified/inherited/version indicators and "revert" functionality when dealing with parent/child theme relationships.

thanks!

Archived