Who Viewed the Topic

Any chance we could just a app that shows the # of topic views (which is currently only shown in the forum list view)  on the actual TOPIC view itself.

Posters shouldn't have to go to the forum view to see how many views thier topic has received. And most want views by both members AND guests. Especially my site being a "news" site.

Thanks in advance.

@TheWorldNewsMedia.org

Added to Kitchen Sink

The next KS release whenever that drops.

views.thumb.PNG.683168ace7adc2d1ead12fef540a2139.PNG

KS recreates the H2 element for topic views that was removed with 4.3 (strangely they actually removed this H2 element for topic view, everywhere else in the suite they did as they said they would do when they made these changes and just hid them with css)

I just added the view count to the H2 I put back in. That work?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just installed the "Who Viewed the Blog" plugin but can't get it to work properly. I want to restrict it to only a couple usergroups, but it won't save my permissions for the usergroups I want to give access. It keeps getting stuck on the first entry on the permissions list ((COPPA) - Users Awaiting Moderation). I can't get it to stick on even just the Administrator group.

I also have your "Who Viewed the Topic" plugin and am not having this issue with it. I'm able to restrict it to the usergroups I want without issues.

Hmmm. That might take some work. I could provide an option to remove the date component from the popup list. One could see they read it but not when.

And I could, yes, check on the anon easily enough, as a global, but it starts to add some heft if I record it regardless, but only display to admins as I would need to actually record the view entry as viewed while anon so admins could see the anon viewer in the list or block, but others couldn't.

Let me mull it a bit.

It hasn't been an issue yet and maybe it never will be, but I'm concerned some members might complain if they feel exposed if they thought  "browse anonymously" would keep their browsing private. Changing the popup isn't necessary for me since I'm content with only showing the widget to the usergroup I'm giving access, which already hides the date. It's just that it's still possible to extrapolate that someone is currently online if their name wasn't there and then appears when the page is refreshed.

Edited by Hezeber
7 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

I can look how I'm passing this through... it's possible I can add a check if member is currently logged in and is anon to skip showing them in these blocks. It would appear when they are no longer online of course. Does that help?

I'd need it to hide them altogether so they can lurk threads without being exposed.

8 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

And I could, yes, check on the anon easily enough, as a global, but it starts to add some heft if I record it regardless, but only display to admins as I would need to actually record the view entry as viewed while anon so admins could see the anon viewer in the list or block, but others couldn't.

Admin don't actually need to see them in these blocks. Is it possible to make it a global and not record them at all? I understand if this is an unusual feature you don't want to put in your main plugin - I might be willing to pay extra for it. I'm requesting this because some of my members care enough about having it to pay as part of their subscription, but I'm trying to be careful about not breaching privacy with it by giving members an option to opt out of being recorded.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:00 PM, All Astronauts said:

Yeah... Right while I was wrapping WVTB up I thought... yeah...

It will be more along the lines of who viewed the database record though (using the provided Articles db that ships with IPS Pages this would be the equivalent of who viewed an article). Plain vanilla custom pages (no db involved) might be trickier (read: I would have to do new things) but I honestly haven't looked.

The pile of work keeps growing, it'll happen when it happens.

Can I still have hope?

Hope is good.  It doesnt help that the guy who kept pestering me to make who viewed the blog never got it and it was months later before a single person bought it.  Still only one person actually. Honestly it won't be until the new year before I get a chance to think about this one,  it's a little different on how stuff will need to be tracked. 

And I still need to do that bit before you're post...

Edited by All Astronauts
  • 2 months later...

I've mentioned this before but I think I'm going to go ahead and remove the widget option in favor of either top side or bottom side blocks inserted into the templates. The widget stuff still works but it remains a bit clunky. End result really is you just lose the sidebar positioning.

That said, I'll be adding the do-not-record browsing anon members option. Toggled on they will NOT be recorded at all. It's the easiest solution.

Also will be adding for avatar view an overlapped option with customizable border colors. Price bump too 🙂

wrerwr.PNG.49e9940584acfba8d09b1f67a8929845.PNG

Edited by All Astronauts

Who Viewed the Topic 9 released!

• Overlapped avatars option
  • Do not record anonymous members option

On tap for some vague time in the future is ditching the hacky widget stuff in favor of just top or bottom blocks (no sidebar) and adding an option for avatar view that still inks to the profile but instead of the popup member modal you get a hover of time they viewed the topic.

overlapped.PNG.dfd25ba850a5644045ade196b55cca1b.PNG

Edited by All Astronauts
  • 3 months later...

Guest often causes error:

OutOfRangeException:  (0)
#0 /public_html/system/Content/Content.php(142): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord::load('2053')
#1 /public_html/init.php(867) : eval()'d code(141): IPS\_Content::loadAndCheckPerms('2053')
#2 /public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\hook1981->readers()
#3 /public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#4 /public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#5 /public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#6 /public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#7 {main}

#0 /public_html/init.php(938): IPS\_Log::log('OutOfRangeExcep...', 'uncaught_except...')
#1 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler(Object(OutOfRangeException))
#2 {main}

https://1shot2kill.pl/topic/2053-losowanie-darmowego-vipapremium/?do=readers

Edited by krystek1s2k