is there a way to make a footer like Invision Power

Luc Wolfe

Hi guys,

I was going into my default theme setting and notice they have no footer option, I think it's kind of funny we don't have that option as for their customers, has most CMS gives you a footer option. Reason I ask is that my coding knowlegde has gone poor with all the responsive coding, when I tried to make one it was breaking everywhere when changing view.

@TAMAN is good about keeping his plugins, apps, and skins updated. I haven't upgraded to 4.2 so I am not sure if it will work or not. I mentioned him so he could answer for you. He would know more about it then I would. 

Hi,

Yes, advanced footer works in ips 4.2 version 

So far i only upgraded to fix bugs or and issues with the plugin, otherwise i never upgraded to support any ips version upgrades because the plugin is just a theme hook and it should always work with 4.x.x ;) 

On 7/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, sweethoney said:

y u all ways in my business

The community, as a whole, benefits from your expertise and advice.  

However, other developers are wary of your advice because there are better (and safer!) ways to implement the same solution.  For eaxmple, it's recommended to make changes to the custom CSS file and not the original templates.

This is a superior solution because it isolates the changes to the custom CSS file while allowing IPS to independently upgrade it's templates.  By manually overwriting, you will potentially need to re-enter the edits in EVERY upgrade.  And with IPS pumping out updated templates like there's no tomorrow, it's an unnecessarey burden when they provided an alternative and superior solution

You've posted some interesting and useful guides, and the community benefits.  But we can benefit even more when correct advice is offered, by learning from the experience  and coding standards from others.  

1 minute ago, Joel R said:

The community, as a whole, benefits from your expertise and advice.  

However, other developers are wary of your advice because there are better (and safer!) ways to implement the same solution.  For eaxmple, it's recommended to make changes to the custom CSS file and not the original templates.

This is a superior solution because it isolates the changes to the custom CSS file while allowing IPS to independently upgrade it's templates.  By manually overwriting, you will potentially need to re-enter the edits in EVERY upgrade.  And with IPS pumping out updated templates like there's no tomorrow, it's an unnecessarey burden when they provided an alternative and superior solution

You've posted some interesting and useful guides, and the community benefits.  But we can benefit even more when correct advice is offered, by learning from the experience  and coding standards from others.  

first of all i get the point and when u say every upgrade that ips do that it will have to be re updated with the things that i have add in the template rather than the css file  i never had that issue be for...some modz that had been developed that's the easy way try doing the stuff ya self it will make you a better coder and a website builder..i rather not use some of the ips modz witch they dont work every time ips update  some need update every time ips comes out with a new ipb

.plus you  can not make that notice because you have not tried the html that i have add to the forums...and.. there are is no better way to do it even with your or mine..

all so i  have never had anny issue helping others work on there forums...i just do things better and sweeter

I like the "advanced footer" plugin but I'm also interested in the way others code their footers themselves as I own multiple communities and not everyone requires an advanced footer. Unfortunately I'm not a good "responsive coder" yet. Easy Code examples would be highly appreciated.

So if your own footer developments aren't a secret, please show us the code and give some tipps for the implementation concerning where to edit (so it will also work on mobiles f.e.) and your advices for a good responsive design. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Cyboman said:

I like the "advanced footer" plugin but I'm also interested in the way others code their footers themselves as I own multiple communities and not everyone requires an advanced footer. Unfortunately I'm not a good "responsive coder" yet. Easy Code examples would be highly appreciated.

So if your own footer developments aren't a secret, please show us the code and give some tipps for the implementation concerning where to edit (so it will also work on mobiles f.e.) and your advices for a good responsive design. Thanks. 

yea i agree with you advance footer is not all that to be i have seen othere forums where there footer is better...there is no point to add the plugin with all the extra stuff add it no need just of wast of time to buy advance footer when you can do it ya self and it will look 10 times better

1 minute ago, sweethoney said:

yea i agree with you advance footer is not all that to be i have seen othere forums where there footer is better...there is no point to add the plugin with all the extra stuff add it no need just of wast of time to buy advance footer when you can do it ya self and it will look 10 times better

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. I like advanced footer and I think it looks great (only exception: the curvy element needs getting used to  :lol:)! But I will definitely buy it... :thumbsup:

But for my other communities, I'm interested how to write a simple responsive footer myself and kindly ask for -> code examples.

I don't want to talk about which is the "best looking solution" as everyone has their own preferences and favors...

Many members say it's easy to code, so please help out with easy code examples that will manage the job in a nicely manner. Thanks.

By the way, the topic starter asked for examples like the IPS footer. (see below ;))

54 minutes ago, Cyboman said:

the curvy element needs getting used to  :lol:)

One line of css can remove that curved svg element which is sad because it makes it really nice for two rows of footer blocks:p lol  

Anyways, the curved line doesn't even show if you use only one row of footer^^ 

it is basically like a border separator, to separate the rows if you have more than one

Archived