Choose from default avatars?

Planet Hanyu

It used to exist in very legacy versions (2x series really) although its not present in newer versions as most users would typically prefer to 'upload/add their own' as such. 

I'm not currently aware of a third party addon to add this back, to be honest with you this is the first time that I can recall being asked about it for many years. :):) 

We do now (in 4.2) have Letter Profile Photo's which are quite an improvement over a static 'no photo' type image too. You can read more about these in the News entry here if you wish.

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2017 at 11:05 PM, AndyF said:

as most users would typically prefer to 'upload/add their own' as such

In my experience there were a lot of members choosing avatars from a given selection when I was on vBulletin. Now if I check the latest 100 registrations only 13 have uploaded an own avatar. 

3 hours ago, Ramsesx said:

In my experience there were a lot of members choosing avatars from a given selection when I was on vBulletin. Now if I check the latest 100 registrations only 13 have uploaded an own avatar. 

There is that, although I thought in a way it was in the past as most would prefer to choose their own. IPB2x as you know had built in galleries for them, I just mention this last point given your reg date 🙂 I know you've been here erm "a while" much like me! 😄

Having said that, I just looked at the highest content contribution from my membership. The top five here (including me) only two others have uploaded an image of their own. Looking generally it seems to be roughly about 50/50 on if they have added their own or not. I do have a non-standard 'by default' one though. I'm not on the latest version but I won't go into why here as its off topic and the answer is not what you'd expect. 🙂

EDIT... Perhaps the solution here is for a third party developer to recreate / create some kind of 'Gallery Profile Images' (avatars) for members to pick from for those who require such functionality on later versions.

3 minutes ago, AndyF said:

IPB2x as you know had built in galleries for them, I just mention this last point given your reg date 🙂 I know you've been here erm "a while" much like me! 😄

Oh my dear, indeed I'm registered since 2007, wasn't aware of that long time.

happy joy GIF

But to be honest, I only registered to just take a quick look and not really tested all functions because the software wasn't my taste (at that time). I'm really deeper in since maybe two years.

12 hours ago, Ramsesx said:

Oh my dear, indeed I'm registered since 2007, wasn't aware of that long time.

😄 , I just put in the "as you know" after I saw your reg date so figured there was no need/point to go into specifics or a screenshot of that section. 🙂

12 hours ago, Ramsesx said:

But to be honest, I only registered to just take a quick look and not really tested all functions because the software wasn't my taste (at that time). I'm really deeper in since maybe two years.

Oh OK. 🙂 I can understand that. It did look not far off from how its done in "other software" back then, in particular the one you mention and that version, it looks very similar. 'Folders' of images in effect for the end user to pick from.

I do think this would likely be a lot more suitable for a third party application though somehow. Might even be a small  $ / / £ (pick your currency as appropriate or otherwise) in it if there's sufficient demand for said application. Maybe ? 🙂

A quick note though, if you have the Gallery app you can link members to that to set an avatar as well. Image Tools > Set as "Profile Photo".

Another recommendation would be to enable Profile completion to encourage your new members to upload a photo.

• 1 month later...

Archived