Clubs and guests?

mark007

Hi,

is there a way, that guests also can see Clubs und depending on permissions read topics and posts?

This would be very helpful to promote the Clubs, so that people who are not member can especially decide to become a member, because of clubs.

I have some great ideas to promote this feature.

Mark

I am trying to advertise some of my clubs in social networks, to get more members into my community.

The problem is, when guests they click the "join button" they are shown the error screen "this page is not available, yada yada". They should be directed to the registration/login screen informing them they shoud register the community prior to joining the club.

On 7/22/2017 at 11:14 AM, opentype said:

Well, the content of “public” and “open” clubs is public. Other than choosing the club type, there are no other permission settings. 

That answers one of my questions, thank you.

However that is a problem for how I want to use Clubs in my Community.

All of our forums are member only - guests can't access anything. We have several forums that aren't part of our core business and I wanted to turn them into clubs. I want all members to be able to access these clubs without having to ask the leader first, so I would set them up as "Open". However if I do that guests can access the posts and I don't want that. 

Can anyone suggest a way that I can keep Clubs away from Guests without making them "Closed"?

19 hours ago, Bill Edwards said:

That answers one of my questions, thank you.

However that is a problem for how I want to use Clubs in my Community.

All of our forums are member only - guests can't access anything. We have several forums that aren't part of our core business and I wanted to turn them into clubs. I want all members to be able to access these clubs without having to ask the leader first, so I would set them up as "Open". However if I do that guests can access the posts and I don't want that. 

Can anyone suggest a way that I can keep Clubs away from Guests without making them "Closed"?

I needed the same thing. I wanted closed, but didn't want to manually approve the joins. There was a simple edit I made to one of the club PHP files to let this happen (it should probably be a built in feature to let clubs decide independently between access and join approval process).

Funny thing also about the word closed. I renamed 'Closed' to 'Participant' in the language settings. I wasn't sure if it would confuse people seeing a closed group assuming that well, it was closed and they couldn't join it.

Lastly, I noticed only a trickle of people joined the clubs even with auto accept of invites and front page and other club blocks giving them more attention.

So,  I wrote a script to invite members to certain groups at a rate of about 7 per minute (uses perl mechanize to login as a leader and do an invite) . I also set email notifications on first globally for club invites. This worked. I went from maybe 10 joins per day to 200. This might be a good idea for a future API call or a plugin - it helped quite a bit.

You may find the clubs load slowly if you get a lot of joins in a day (500+). I had to drop my global search time to 2 days for now to get them to load quickly.

There is also a global club  permission setting. I excluded guests completely from clubs per the nature of my forum.

Archived