Ground Control

All Astronauts

Ground Control

Set custom background images across almost your entire IPS Community!

• Default Background (used all areas not customized)
  • Forum Categories
  • Forum Forums (carries over into the topics within!)
  • Calendars
  • Pages Database Index
  • Pages Database Categories (carries over to the content items within!)
  • Gallery Categories (carries over into albums and images within)
  • Commerce Product Groups (carries over to products within)
  • Downloads Categories (carries over to download items within)
  • Blogs (each individual blog can have their own)

Clubs Supported! Club home page and members roster can have their own (shared) custom background.Each node type added to a club (forum, gallery, files, calendar) can have their own backgrounds too!

1) How are these backgrounds set in the theme/HTML?You have three options currently (available in Ground Control settings):

On Body Element: Will over-ride the background set on the body element in your theme or custom css. If a Ground Control background (default or otherwise) is not present it will fall back to the body background already specified by your theme/custom css (if any).

On HTML element: Will over-ride the background set on the HTML element in your theme or custom css. If a Ground Control background (default or otherwise) is not present it will fall back to the HTML background already specified by your theme/custom css (if any). If you have a body element background you will probably need to remove it otherwise it will display over top the html background.

On a Special Background Element: This is a separate, new, HTML element placed underneath HTML > Body but before the header and remainder of the IPS HTML template code. This element is set to span the entire page with absolute positioning, given a z-index of -10, and a CSS 3D transition call that does nothing itself but will tell your browser to use your video card when rendering this element. Provided as an advanced option for users with more advanced thematic needs and also as a bullet-proof solution that will usually work no matter what your theme is doing.

You can read the rest of the description in the Marketplace:

Very nice idea!

Is there any demo website or do you have some live screenshots?

In former times, I bought "profile backgrounds" but realized quite fast, that most areas of the images were overlayed by forum elements or images weren't displayed in fullscreen resolution...

I'm curious and would like to see your implementation in action :) 

It really is as described, setting the background (full screen cover), and the rest is up to your theme.

example.thumb.PNG.28d2a6c7cc59e2a5d61afe3abf69fc11.PNG

That's the default IPS theme with the <header> element background color set to black and the opacity on that color set to around 30% so you can see the background through it. Also changed the color of the pageheader element to white so you can see it on the background.

Not much really to show otherwise, it all depends on what your theme is and how backgrounds are used on them (or how you alter them to allow backgrounds to be used).

Naturally the idea is that you can now match the background to the category or forum (or other application node category stuff) to the general people/place/thing being talked about. Car forums can now set separate backgrounds for each brand category, for each car model forum, and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

Interested in this. Before buying though.

Downloads Categories (carries over to download items within)

Is it possible to add a function to choose background per item? And not just the category.

Would it be easy to fix or maybe added in a near future release?

• 1 month later...

As i report before, I have a custom theme and in this theme, neither of this three option wouldn't work. Body, html or /GC.

So i should edit some template for making it right. here something come in my mind. take it as suggestion.

Beside of upload image, give us some option for css class. for example, in my theme there is a css class for pageContent class. this one have #fff on it and prevent to display background image.

if be options for this two class:  pageContent and ipsLayout_contentWrapper in the same place as we upload an image. so when we give those css class some color (or "none" element), gonna bypass theme setting. or even more, you can give your Forum and its topics an image, and customize it's body colors as well!

Just a suggestion :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 7:24 AM, All Astronauts said:

I'll have to see if you can add them to block templates - that is a different area than node/content/item stuff so might be some work, or not. 

I still waiting for this one. It's really needed.

To use images in Pages templates, I kind of hoped ground control would be work like this one.

13 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

I need to rewrite that plugin as an application anyways, so this may as well be a good enough time to do that.

That plugin you mean Pages Category Images? So you suggest I buy that plugin too, for using the same images in Pages template?

• 1 month later...

Site? Only way I can take a peek and see what's happening.

It can stick your backgrounds on either the HTML element, the body element, or a custom GC element inside the body. In all cases your theme must not have anything covering that stuff up where you want it showing.

Again, just respond here or PM your site link (don't need ACP right now) so I can take a look.

There appears to be a problem with the database *home* page and GC. I'll take a look tomorrow. Categories and records are fine.

On default theme:

On HTML: Works but you still need to disable the body background. With the background on HTML, the body background is still on top of it (if you have a body background set).

On Body: Works.

With the custom Ground Control element inside of Body: works.

asd.thumb.PNG.08f84d85e0d243bc4a707db3b38b04dd.PNG

I'm getting there. Busy with other things but this is on the list.

EDIT: Took a look this morning. There have been some structural changes to how IPS does some things with forms, certainly with the Forums app, and as my stuff is all locked onto those nodes directly that's trouble. Some strangeness in other areas as well.

This will take a few days to unspool and respool. By days I mean I'm working on it but best not to bother me as it's gonna be a grind. GC 2 released when it's done.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 2:49 PM, All Astronauts said:

There appears to be a problem with the database *home* page and GC. I'll take a look tomorrow. Categories and records are fine.

@All Astronauts I don't know if anyone has reported this yet, but for what it's worth - there is a serious incompatibility issue with GC and, well, another GC - @Kevin Carwile's Group Collaborations app.

Here's what happens: in a normal Collab (I call them Domains on my site), here's what you see: the Domain homepage with an image, settings menu, etc.:

GC1.thumb.jpg.4e7a82a96fa917a158af3a97a9beed68.jpg

When Ground Control is enabled, it kills everything above "This Learning Space..." - that is, the heading, menu, and editing options.  If GC is disabled, Collabs works fine.

Here's hoping two top IPS developers can find a way to get these two great apps to play nice! :)

Archived